first road trip, TPMS (!) light

I took my Spark (2014 5spd) on it's first road trip of 200 miles, and the TPMS symbol (!) started flashing for about a minute and then stay illuminated for about 10 minutes, then went off. it did this once on the way back as well. i have the stock rims/tires on it, and all tires are 42psi. i read that if it "flashes" THEN stays on, it's a problem with the actual sensor. so i'm planning on taking the car in to have it checked out. it only has 1000 miles on it so i'm shocked i'm already having issues. lol. i had a Hyundai Accent before for 4 years and not a single issue with that car. Has this happened with anyone else here?

Unfortunately, that's the nature of TPMS systems. They are unreliable at best. If it's not doing it when you go to the dealer, they might not be able to find the problem.

That should read, if it isn't doing it when you are there, they won't look for the problem. And no it probably didn't store any codes.

• 3 months later...

I currently have an accent, and test drove the spark just this afternoon....and I LOVE IT!! I've had tpms light on in my accent every now and again, especially during colder weather. No other major problems considering I haven't taken care of the car like I should have. I do A LOT of driving. Anybody know how the spark handles long distance trips?

One thing to note, these TPMS units have a battery in them, who knows how long that battery might have been stored before it was put into the assembly and sealed in plastic. For the price it would be nice if we could put new batteries in them, these chevy units are fairly cheap at around $50 each, the same thing for a Ford is $64 each.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm talking about cross country trip, ohio to florida, and back. No sense in owning a vehicle if they aren't made to handle all of your needs. Anyone driven cross country in a spark?

Maryland to Florida in mine. Took 81 down and 95 back. Loaded with luggage and 2 passengers and about 75 mph both ways. I think it was about 38 mpg going down and 40 mpg coming back. No issues at all.

• 1 month later...

Glad to hear this car can go long distance. Just bought my Spark 2 weeks ago and feel much more confident now driving it from San Francisco to Los Angeles later this week although driving through the grapevine (mountain section) will be interesting.

I live in Northern NJ, and today while parking in a small local strip mall, I saw a denim spark parked a few rows over, and being inquisitive, I walked over to look at it, and was totally surprised to see Texas plates on it. So I would assume that was one hell of a ride...

I'm talking about cross country trip, ohio to florida, and back. No sense in owning a vehicle if they aren't made to handle all of your needs. Anyone driven cross country in a spark?

I'll be taking mine to Florida from Ohio, in September. I don't have any doubts. I drove it 9 hours round trip to WV and back, cruising 80-90mph, sounds like a go-kart! :happy feet:

I am a little nervous about no spare tire, though...