This may be a rather dumb question, but I've had my Spark for almost a year now. I notice the tail light above the rear window flashes 5-6 time before turning solid when breaking. I think this is normal, the only reason I question it is because I was behind a Spark at a stop light, when they started to break no flashing tail light. Just wanted to confirm?

Well my Spark does have it, but if others don't then I need to narrow down why mine does. It was bought new, I wonder if this was done by the dealer or for another reason before I bought it. I don't mind that it has it and it is a good feature on this small of a car. I just want to know why mine would have it and others don't.

this is a 5 dollar dealer add on they charge you up to $3000 for. check your bill of sale. I refuse to shop at dealers that do add-ons before you even get a choice.

http://www.pulseprotects.com/home

you can buy, build the same thing for less then 10 bucks, if they did a dealer trade the ad-on may not be listed in your invoice as it's really cheap.

Edited by Smikster

That actually makes a ton of sense! I remember the dealer I got my Spark from had it transferred from another dealer in the state. The plus is my Spark was priced at the right MSRP, so I didn't see a spike in price because that was installed. I don't mind that it's there, I have a baby and I have seen it make drivers behind me notice I'm stopping, especially in heavy rain and snow. The down side is I had no say so in that part being on my car, I assumed the Spark's came stock with it because of their size. Thanks

Edited by CurtisA

It doesn't seem defective. Doesn't matter the speed or if I'm sitting still. It looks programmed to do it, so I'd lean more towards it was installed at the dealer that my dealer got it from. I look further into it in my paperwork when I get a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine flashes when I first put on the brakes. It is normal for it to do that. There was a sticker on the rear window when I bought the car that said the third brake light flashes for safety. Flashes quick for a second or so then goes solid. My car is an early model '13.

Just be aware, that while it is not usually enforced, it is illegal in most places to have any flashing red light on a non emergency vehicle.

I know of a couple of guys that got tickets for having flashing tail lights on their motorcycles, because it gave the cops something to stop them for.

Edited by Gossamer

So we have a few that have had this. Well I'm at least I'm not the only one! If I got pulled over and got ticketed for it I would be pretty pissed. I just wanted to know if it was common, with the amount of snow and rain we've been getting here in Indy it helps. I think it's saved my Spark a few times when people are behind me in heavy snow fall. I like it! I will try to get a video up soon!

No dealer add on for mine. I even went to my local dealer on Thursday, and one of their 14's on the lot pulse as well. They had to appraise the car for GM Corp.

You must let off the brakes for a moment or two then press the pedal. You can do it in park as well. The third LED brake light will quickly flash 4 times and then burn solid. It does not constantly pulse, and if you let off your brakes and immediately press them again, then it will not do it.