OK to run through a carwash?

is it safe ? sure...

should you ? no lol

wash it yourself ...

the thing with car washes is they use dirty rags that have been reused all day ... all that dirt accumulates on the rags and leave fine scratches on the paint... i would advise against it.

im so against car washes that i voluntarily wash my ladies 2013 altima ... that car is sweet

+1 to washing it yourself. I thought I would give Beown Bear a try during these winter months. First 2 times great. Loved the outcome. 3rd time, scratches on my wheels from the auto track. Let's just say I was less then pleased..... Never again!

I don't know if you are in the NE but this would be a bad time of year to go through an automatic car wash.

Best thing you can do is to put on a GOOD wax in the fall, and not touch it (except underneath, maybe) until it's spring.

The automatic car washes around here recycle the water. While they do filter it, your car is still getting blasted with salt water. On top of that, the rags tend to do micro scratching to the paint, they are slapping your car with previous dirt, and they are scraping the wax off and exposing the car's paint to the elements.

Salt is activated at warmer temperatures when mixed with water. If you are going to rinse the car off on warmer days in the winter, make sure to be thorough and get the entire thing. Otherwise it's going to start rusting from the inside out.

Edited by NoSprak

Honestly I thought car washes with brushes were pretty much extinct. All of the ones in my area are brushless. This time of year I just buy the cheapest wash that includes the undercarriage wash to knock the salt off the areas underneath that I can't get to doing a hand washing.

• 4 weeks later...

Something else about auto car washes i have noticed is that it doesnt fully remove all the soap from the car. When being rinsed it pushs a substantial amount of soap into the door cracks as well as under the hood. I ALWAYS pull to the side and take a rag and wipe all the excess soap away. Who knows what kind of foreign cheap reused soap concentrate the use. Places do anything to save a penny.....

Yea I don't trust those brush wash systems either.

Many dealers offer free washing service with the purchase of a vehicle. I know my dealer anytime I go in and ask for a wash they take it back and handwash it for me.

I'd much rather handwash the car myself most of the time though, that way you can pick up on any imperfections or new dents/scratches and address them rather than let them go and see rust.

Besides this car is just the right size, ten-fifteen minutes tops (depending on if you hand dry or not)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

NO automatic car washes!! I have a 2018 Spark and I had it only a few weeks and took it to the car wash.  It is so small it got stuck between the rails that guide the car through the car wash and tore up my hubcap and left side. Of course they didn't tell me this and of course I was left with a brand new car with damage the first few weeks ugggg.  Funny thing is I take it to a place to have it washed now and have to pay  EXTRA for hand wash which is the amount charged to trucks.  I thought they should only charge me 1/2 price since it is the size of 1/2 of a car lol.   

Edited by Pam