Does anyone have the procedure for replacing the AC Compressor?

My compressor bit the dust last Sunday and was replaced without an issue. It was showing 120 psi and the high and low ports. The dealer replaced the compressor, and now the AC is wonderful. I also have the updated cams and computer update. It is working 10x better now.

Now on to the reason that I am looking for the procedure. I had no oil in my car. Literally, nothing on the dipstick. I had the oil replaced 4000 miles ago, and there are no signs of visible leaks. The oil filter is located right next to the compressor bracket, and I think they drained the oil to remove the AC components. Either that or the car is burning the oil in the combustion chambers. The service adviser stated that they would have no need to drain the oil, but if you look at the location of the AC the components then there is a good chance they did.

Anyone?

The oil filter is on the back side of the engine (near the fire wall), the AC compressor is in the front right corner of the engine (near the headlight) so no need to drain the oil. You have a much more serious problem on your hands and you better get it to the dealer to find out what happened!

I understand that it "should not" be replaced, but something is not right at all. There aren't any oil spots on my garage floor from a leak. The back of the car is clean as a whistle without any burned oil residue on the bumper or the surrounding area. If the car is burning oil, then 4 quarts in 4000 miles would be visible while driving or idling. No, something else happened. Ironically, it happened right after it was at the dealer. My thought is they removed the oil filter to gain a little more room to work. They re-installed the filter, but did not top off the oil. I would like the factory procedure to see the steps.

After dealings with multiple dealer service departments and multiple brand cars, I've come to expect this after getting a vehicle back from one. Hopefully no damage was done to the engine. You said it was 4 qts low? How did you even make it back home? It must have been clattering like a pin ball machine the whole way!

It was highway driving, no loads. There wasn't a low oil pressure light either. I took a pic of the dipstick and sent it to the service guy. It did not even register on the dip stick, not a drop. I am sure it had some oil in it. Say a quart or probably less. It was ticking, valve train ticking. No power, well, less than what we normally have. Floored it and it didn't go anywhere fast. I pulled the car in the garage, and it smelled really hot. How hot? No clue since we don't have temp gauges on the car. Checked oil and viola. Nut'n. I put Mobil 1 in it and have been keeping an eye on the level. No more ticking, and I am sure that some damage was done. Had to be.

Wow! The dealership service department must really hate you, hard to believe any mechanic could really be that stupid. Did the service department in question provide you with a copy of the complimentary vehicle inspection they typically provide whenever you bring it in for service? They usually mark off which fluids were checked, and if the levels were ok. That's ammunition. Nice to know our engines can take that kind of abuse, and not seize up.

I am not an ass about it though like I am sure most would be. It is what it is. I just want to find out how and why. The rest can be taken care of later. They are going to do an oil consumption test on the car when I take it back in. For now, I am monitoring the oil level to see if it is going down any.

Hey Lil Dew. I'm really sorry to read that this happened to you. Would you like to me call the dealership and investigate this on your behalf or to submit a dealership complaint. I am here to offer any assistance that you need. Please feel free to email me at socialmedia@gm.com or to send me a PM here on the forum.

Jackie

Chevrolet Customer Care

Edited by Chevrolet Customer Care

I understand that it "should not" be replaced, but something is not right at all. There aren't any oil spots on my garage floor from a leak. The back of the car is clean as a whistle without any burned oil residue on the bumper or the surrounding area. If the car is burning oil, then 4 quarts in 4000 miles would be visible while driving or idling. No, something else happened. Ironically, it happened right after it was at the dealer. My thought is they removed the oil filter to gain a little more room to work. They re-installed the filter, but did not top off the oil. I would like the factory procedure to see the steps.

My parents has a Jeep Wrangler (3.8L engine, not the good 4.0 engine) that would burn 1 quart / 650 miles. There was no smoke or oil spots in the driveway. Sometimes it doesn't show up.

And it just started one day, too. Burnt no oil up to about 30,000 then started consuming oil like crazy.

Edited by NoSprak

Hey Lil Dew. I'm really sorry to read that this happened to you. Would you like to me call the dealership and investigate this on your behalf or to submit a dealership complaint. I am here to offer any assistance that you need. Please feel free to email me at socialmedia@gm.com or to send me a PM here on the forum.

Jackie

Chevrolet Customer Care

Hi, Jackie.

Thank you for responding to this. I will send you a PM.

Best,

Stacy

My parents has a Jeep Wrangler (3.8L engine, not the good 4.0 engine) that would burn 1 quart / 650 miles. There was no smoke or oil spots in the driveway. Sometimes it doesn't show up.

And it just started one day, too. Burnt no oil up to about 30,000 then started consuming oil like crazy.

Did they figure out what was causing it? I don't see any burned oil at startup (valve seals) or while running (rings). I checked the intake hoses and throttle body, and I do not see any visible residue.(no Blow by) My 83, 911 SC never used that much oil, and the SC's leaked oil like an old Harley.

Did they figure out what was causing it? I don't see any burned oil at startup (valve seals) or while running (rings). I checked the intake hoses and throttle body, and I do not see any visible residue.(no Blow by) My 83, 911 SC never used that much oil, and the SC's leaked oil like an old Harley.

No. Chrysler said it was "normal" even though the engine was knocking as well.

There were a lot of 3.8L engines for 2007-2009 Wranglers that were assembled improperly at a plant in Mexico. Some of them were installed with missing / incorrect rings, bearings installed incorrectly. Likely that's what theirs was.

I thought it was only the Wrangler 3.8s that had the oil consumption issue? Didn't realize it stemmed to the Grand Caravans as well.

What oil weight do you run in it? Ford and Honda pushed 20 grade oils ... but their engines were made to handle it. For the Wrangler, Chrysler specified 20 grade oil but never updated the engine to handle it. I suspect that's why it drinks so much. If it was not under lifetime warranty, they would have put something a bit thicker in it.

Do you have lifetime warranty? Luckily my parents did as the list of what had to be fixed / replaced on the Jeep over their 5 years of ownership was way more than I spent on my 2000 Jeep and all repairs / upgrades.

- 4 or 5 sets of front and rear axle seals

- Rear differential rebuild

- Brake Calipers (hanging)

- "Sentry Key" module broke causing the Jeep to only run for 20 seconds at a time

- CV Driveshaft blew up

- Electronic locking differential / electronic disconnect swaybar never worked.

They also had numerous electronic throttlebody failures, but it could never be reproduced.

My parents have owned Jeeps from the mid 80s. They will NEVER buy another Chrysler / Jeep product EVER.

It appears in the mid 00s their quality just dropped down the tubes. They had an 04 Wrangler that was perfect. Ended up bringing it to get something fixed, found out it wasn't going to be covered under warranty (a few thousand $$$). At that point, they decided it was time to ditch it and traded it on a 2013 Escape.

Edited by NoSprak

yeah, it is the engine, that 3.8l is known to be an oil hog. It does not blow smoke, just eats oil. We bought it used, so it doesn't have the lifetime warranty, but we bought a warranty extension to 100000 miles, which we are coming up on quickly.

I have a 2006 Wrangler with the 4.0l that has been bullet proof. The only issues I have had with it are from upgrades and abuse :)