Semi-Synthetic Oil?

Just called to setup an appointment for Creeper's first oil change at the dealer. I had wanted to go to someplace like Valvoline or Jiffy Lube but no one (still) has the oil filters in stock for the Spark yet so off to the dealer I go. While I was setting up the appointment I asked about how much the oil change would be. I mentioned that I assumed it wasn't too bad since it's just conventional oil vs. synthetic (used to drive a MINI Cooper so I am all too used to synthetic oil change prices). His response was that actually the Spark takes a "Semi-Synthetic" oil, not conventional. This is a new one on me. Not sure I've ever heard of that before. I assume that's their way of saying "blend?"

Edited by HappyMommy

This is way over my head. I knew there were conventional, synthetic and blends and that they came in different viscosities but had no idea of this dexos1 specification stuff. Thinking even though I liked the idea of us doing the oil ourselves (once/if we can find the filters at the local auto parts store) I will still take it up to the dealer... I don't wanna have to even think that hard about it.

The oil life monitors in GM vehicles are calibrated for full synthetic and synthetic blend oils, hence the requirements for Dexos approved oils (and also a money maker for GM). Those quick lube places are known to use poor quality, generic oil filters that can fail internally and cause problems. DIY with genuine filters, or let a competent dealer do it. After poor dealership experiences, and the cost of full synthetic oil, I do all maintenance at home except for tire maintenance. Ramps make oil changes very easy, and you save $ in the long run.