Ram Air Intake - Using Fog light location

So I saw the post on removing the resonator off the air box, and some one thought about hooking up an intake tube to the new hole where the resonator connected, and run it down by the fog light on the Drivers side.

So I was perusing ebay, and found these for under $20.00:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181241633692?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

So I grabbed them ( I try not to modify parts that came on the vehicle. That way if it doesn't work out, I can go back to the stock parts :) )

So, Here they are:

post-996-0-14453300-1385164869_thumb.jpg

So I plan to drill lots of little holes in the place where the fog lights would normally go to create a safe intake that will allow lots of air, but not pebbles and other trash from the road.

Like this:

insertholes_zps7aeb08af.jpg

The back of the insert is actually perfect as it has a nice pronounced ridge to connect the intake tube to via either zip tie or steel compression band.

2013-11-22_19-29-05_681_zpsbe6d9bd1.jpg

This may be a Thanksgiving Weekend project if the keyless entry kit doesn't get here :)

Edited by Shane Duus

Nice catch on ebay. Really, you don't need to do the hole route. Gravity works great and so do air filters. I've had a much lower to the ground and much more aggressive custom ram air setup on a different car for years, and have NEVER had a single problem with stuff getting up into the air box. Maybe a little dirt, but the filter won't let that through anyway.

Personally, I'd just cut the hole open.

Please post pics when you are done and also do some before and after testing of mileage to see if it improves with the ram air mod.

Thanks

Nice catch on ebay. Really, you don't need to do the hole route. Gravity works great and so do air filters. I've had a much lower to the ground and much more aggressive custom ram air setup on a different car for years, and have NEVER had a single problem with stuff getting up into the air box. Maybe a little dirt, but the filter won't let that through anyway.

Personally, I'd just cut the hole open.

Please post pics when you are done and also do some before and after testing of mileage to see if it improves with the ram air mod.

Thanks

X2

Will do. I have my ODBII scanner hooked up and connected with my Torque app, so I plan on doing some before and after numbers. With the temp variations this time of year though, I am afraid I wont get good solid comparable numbers. I'll be sure to keep you guys informed.

I would cut out the circle and screw some course wire screen across the opening. I would try the angle the duct so water runs back out when you slow down. You'll want to block off the stock intake opening on the airbox and seal it.

One thing to be aware of... Do not cross any flooded areas. Since this will be a sealed ram, sucking up a column of water would be really bad.

• 4 months later...