how does the chevy spark do in the snow?

All depends on the type of snow and how far you need to drive. My drive home last night was miserable, the snows went on right after dinner. To me the snow tires are money well spent and I always recommend four decent snow tires to people who live in snow regions. For the type of snow I get around here, I think the stock tires are lacking. The best I've found for local conditions are the Winterforce snows with directional tread to help move through the water/slush. On drier snow the stock tires are almost OK.

Edited by Greg_E

After driving home tonight I'm going going to say that no matter what type of snow, cars should have snow tires. This car is very different with the junky Glacier Grip tires I have on it. Without doing a back to back driving test it's hard to remember how much different.

• 2 weeks later...

Wifey had no issues with the recent snow. She had disable the traction control (I'm glad I showed her) because initally when it would kick in it would send her sliding then it wouldn't let her accelerate. She disabled the TC and she it drove very well. I do plan on getting real snow tires for it next year.

I have noticed a difference and when I was in Watertown, NY there was a considerable amount of snow and the Spark was fine. I have noticed because the rim size is smaller for my snow tires the car now rubs on some driveway entrances…….I hate it >.< No damage you can see thankfully but I'm sure I'm losing paint on the underside…..well if I can't see it, it doesn't exist lol.

What size snow tires are you running compared to stock?

I am 80 miles south of Watertown and we have no snow here :(

Though, halfway between they are getting hit HARD with snow! They have a few FEET!

You do now! Or go south a bit, Tully is where it really starts to pick up.

All I can say again is that even my cheap snows give better traction than the stock tires and any little bit helps keep you out of the ditch. To me it was worth the cost of wheels, tires, and TPMS sensors. That said, each person needs to decide for themselves how much they need to drive on the snow, what kind of snow, and how fast they want to go.

I have 14's on my car too, but a taller tire than the stock by a bit. Next set you'll have to get larger diameter tires, or go back and complain.

Edited by Greg_E

You do now! Or go south a bit, Tully is where it really starts to pick up.

All I can say again is that even my cheap snows give better traction than the stock tires and any little bit helps keep you out of the ditch. To me it was worth the cost of wheels, tires, and TPMS sensors. That said, each person needs to decide for themselves how much they need to drive on the snow, what kind of snow, and how fast they want to go.

I have 14's on my car too, but a taller tire than the stock by a bit. Next set you'll have to get larger diameter tires, or go back and complain.

I'm a bit confused ... I live in the snowiest city in the country and there's not much snow!

Aren't you somewhat local to me? I may have asked at some point.

I drove from Syracuse up to my parents (East of Rome) and got a good bit of lake effect. Not a lot of accumulation, but it wascoming down hard at times and pretty cold!

I'm about to find out how it does in snow in the next 5-8 weeks, after not driving in snow or ice after 10 years. I'll be going through mountain passes during the winter. Do they even make tire cables that fit these odd sized tires? Has anybody bought chains for their cars, and where did they find them? How do they fit? I've used snow chains before, on a normal sized car.

I grew up in Whitesboro, and my mom lives up in Remsen...I sure don't miss storms like these :)

Oh, cool! I grew up in Frankfort! My parents moved a few years ago - they are only about 10 miles from Remsen now. (North of Utica).

I had to hop ship to Syracuse because there are no jobs.

I'm about to find out how it does in snow in the next 5-8 weeks, after not driving in snow or ice after 10 years. I'll be going through mountain passes during the winter. Do they even make tire cables that fit these odd sized tires? Has anybody bought chains for their cars, and where did they find them? How do they fit? I've used snow chains before, on a normal sized car.

I was going to suggest checking on CL for a set of used snow tires already mounted ... but I don't think too many of those pop up on CL where you are. I would try to get two and figure out a way to keep them in the car. Ideally, you would have 4 but 2 is better than nothing.

Last year I took a trip in a friend's car with new Cooper CS4. They are rated very well for all season tires in the snow. The CS4s were horrid in the snow (compared to dedicated snow tires). I ended up having to drive because my friend got afraid in the snow.

I don't feel comfortable driving in snow / ice without proper snow tires.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not buying snow tires just to drive cross country one time, and then to never drive in snow again after. I'm asking if anyone has bought snow cables, and who makes Mickey Mouse sized tire cables. That is in case there's a good snowstorm, and they decide to enforce the chain law in the passes. Snow tires will not help me when chains are required.

Edited by austex04