Half stall at highway speeds?

Mine had for awhile in the beginning kinda stuttered the first few minutes I started and drove it. I have 17k on the odo now and no problems for awhile. Was running great on 93 octane too tier fuel but now it's do in it again and not just in the beginning. I'm hoping it's just some moisture in the fuel I recently got.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well after the engine goes in, I'm going to be calling Chevy again to see what they can do about putting some type of extension on the warranty not only for all the trouble I had but for the new engin

It is most likely the same engine, but modified to avoid the problems that created the original problem. I would venture to guess that your car was developing the #4 cylinder anomaly, and was most lik

FYI - My Spark LS 5M has 20K miles and went in to the Dealership with the problem described above. I was burning about a quart of oil every 125 miles @ 65 MPH. They are ordering me a new Engine assemb

Update on my new Spark engine: Yesterday my extended warranty came in the mail on my new engine. I'm very happy with the results. Had it back for about a month and put 1500 miles on it with zero problems.

I hope more of you end up getting some satisfaction.

Leigh

• 2 weeks later...

Just talked to the dealer, my car is at 2 quarts low after 4500 miles. Now the difficult part is that I'm dealing with this from two different dealers and for reasons that weren't fully explained, the dealers do not talk to each other about service issues like this. That's the beating around the bush answer, I think what really happens is that each service department wants to try and get the money for themselves and screw you if you don't come back to them. I just got off the phone with support, they said they won't be able to retrieve the last invoice from the previous dealer to prove that the car was full of oil when it left. I have a feeling this is going to turn into a fight and in the end I'll probably still trade it in! Grrrrr!!!

At least the dealership that I'm at now is really trying to find the issues and very concerned about the oil loss and the increased noise from the engine. The oil is not leaking out, so it must be burning it or someone is coming in the middle of the night and stealing it. Never seen a puff of smoke out the back, but most of my loss of power is after warm up and during driving so I probably wouldn't see it.

In a loaner for another day, hope it is nice enough to ride my motorcycle tomorrow, it's kind of a beat loaner 2004 Impala and it is certainly thirsty!

Just wanted to update this to say that the Chevy customer service reps we have visiting this site are AWESOME! They got a document from the previous dealer that I needed to go forward with fixing things at the current dealer.

I learned something today, don't much like it but here it is...

Oil consumption specification is one quart in 2000 miles, beyond that much and you have a problem. On the dip stick this is top of the full XXXX to the bottom of the low XXXX, and the oil should be checked cold (about four hours sitting on level ground).

Another cold hard fact brought to you from personal misfortune.

My car did a total of 3 quarts in around 7500 miles, or better than spec. :sad:

I learned something today, don't much like it but here it is...

Oil consumption specification is one quart in 2000 miles, beyond that much and you have a problem. On the dip stick this is top of the full XXXX to the bottom of the low XXXX, and the oil should be checked cold (about four hours sitting on level ground).

Another cold hard fact brought to you from personal misfortune.

My car did a total of 3 quarts in around 7500 miles, or better than spec. :sad:

How can you tell if your Spark is consuming too much oil? What symptoms have you bee noticing??

I'm sure all members would be VERY interested to know how many 2013 owners who have over 25K-miles are NOT having the excessive oil consumption issue. The reason I ask is that I am wondering if this is a design flaw in ALL the 2013 engines. Any 2014 owners with 25k+mi please chime in as well. This would give us a better idea what is going on and if this issue was corrected in the 2014 units. Also please state whether you have a manual or auto trans. as well as the build date if you have that handy. This little survey could be very useful in determining how widespread this issue is.

I'm sure all members would be VERY interested to know how many 2013 owners who have over 25K-miles are NOT having the excessive oil consumption issue. The reason I ask is that I am wondering if this is a design flaw in ALL the 2013 engines. Any 2014 owners with 25k+mi please chime in as well. This would give us a better idea what is going on and if this issue was corrected in the 2014 units. Also please state whether you have a manual or auto trans. as well as the build date if you have that handy. This little survey could be very useful in determining how widespread this issue is.

I agree.... Seems like everyone on here with more than the 25K miles has been having the oil consumption issue.

I'm at 20k and no noticable oil consumption. I have been checking since you guys brought it to my attention. I'm really surprised there isn't a dummy light for this. I just did my first oil change the 3 previous were done at the dealer. I wanted to see how difficult it was to change and I also wanted to use full synthetic. Dexos approved of course and correct weight.

• 5 months later...

I currently am in a rental car and my dealership has ordered a new engine for my spark. I experienced the full gammut of symptoms that everyone has listed here including being stranded on the highway.

Here is my question: are the new engines different? If you got the engine replaced, when was it and how has it been performing? To the Chevy employees here: is the engine different or am I simply delaying my woes?

I loved my spark. I bragged about my spark. Now I am ready to cry.

I currently am in a rental car and my dealership has ordered a new engine for my spark. I experienced the full gammut of symptoms that everyone has listed here including being stranded on the highway.

Here is my question: are the new engines different? If you got the engine replaced, when was it and how has it been performing? To the Chevy employees here: is the engine different or am I simply delaying my woes?

It is most likely the same engine, but modified to avoid the problems that created the original problem. I would venture to guess that your car was developing the #4 cylinder anomaly, and was most likely to far gone to be rectified by the emission recall. My guess is that the new engine will be just fine, a few users here have also had their engines replaced, and they haven't had the problems reoccur.

It is most likely the same engine, but modified to avoid the problems that created the original problem. I would venture to guess that your car was developing the #4 cylinder anomaly, and was most likely to far gone to be rectified by the emission recall. My guess is that the new engine will be just fine, a few users here have also had their engines replaced, and they haven't had the problems reoccur.

I had the MIL light, traction light, loss of power, number four spark plug bad and number two piston burned out. It was ugly. You have made me feel better! I hope this new engine works because I love my spark!

I had my engine replaced in May and just this week my oil was 2 quarts low. The engine still sounds good but no light came on when oil was low.

Edited by PSNewton

Hi Carlie,

Oh no! I'm sorry sorry for this. We truly recognize these concerns with the Spark, and we would be happy to assist you further if necessary. We understand that unexpected vehicle concerns can be disheartening! Please feel free to send a private message to us along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the preferred dealership.

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

• 2 months later...

I recently purchased a used 2013 Chevy Spark 2LT on Feb 9, 2015 from Richardson Sales and Service in Highland, IN. At the time, the car had a little under 37K miles on it. Drove the car for about a week, highway and local driving, no problems and I was loving my new car! The following Monday, Feb 16th, on my drive into work. Within minutes of getting onto the highway, the check engine light came on, the what I assume to be traction light came on, and I lost total power to the car! I went from 70 to maybe 40 MPH in no time and was almost rear ended. I was able to finally merge all the way over and get off at the next exit. I immediately contacted the dealership where I purchased the car and they advised me to bring it out to them to look at it. They checked the car and it came back a misfire on 3. They told me they would contact the Chevy dealership out there, Smith Chevy in Hammond, IN, and have them take a look at it. After a couple days, I was given the car back by Richardson on Friday Feb 20th and was told that the techs at Smith were unable to replicate what happened to me. Supposedly, the still changed the spark plug and wire on 3. Also, while they had it, supposedly did the recall on some latch and the PCV. According to Richardson, they were not given a detailed work order from Smith for what they did, but that Smith's servicemen more or less just filled them in on what they did. So I took possession of the car and left. I hopped back on the highway and maybe 20 mins later, sure as hell the same damn thing happened again! This time I knew I had to prove it, so I took 2 detailed videos of what was going on at that exact moment the problem started. I've uploaded them to my YouTube channel for anyone's viewing, http://youtu.be/wDwxac4A6qY, and from there you should also be able to find the second video. Thankfully I was coming to my off ramp anyways, so I was able to quickly get off the highway before AGAIN possibly getting hit. I immediately drove it all the way back to Richardson. I showed them the footage, and they even had their tech drive it and it did the same thing to him... Engine light, traction light, code on 3.

It is now March 7th, and I just got the car back from Richardson 2 days ago on March 5th. In that time from the 20th through the 5th, Richardson had sent the car back to the Chevy dealer, Smith Chevy. They AGAIN were unable to replicate the issue and changed out the spark plug again... THAT'S IT!

In almost a month's time, I've driven my car a total of a little over 7 days. I love the car, I specifically WANTED to get this car and specific model trim. I am not a car guy, I am a nerdy tech guy who's never owned a "new" car and always got older cars. I wanted this car because I thought I could trust it, had a warranty, and I could just drive it and not have to worry about something like engine issues, etc. I had even just recently just applied to be an Uber and Lyft driver. How can I do that now when I can't even trust my car to get me from point A to point B?! Could you imagine if I had a rider in the car with me too if AND when this will happen again?! What am I supposed to do?! I still have the temporary plate for God's sake and coming up on having to make my first payment towards it... And I've had TWO major engine issues and no one at Chevy seems to know what I'm talking about! And no offense, but I won't even trust taking my car to Smith Chevy again.

I recently purchased a used 2013 Chevy Spark 2LT on Feb 9, 2015 from Richardson Sales and Service in Highland, IN. At the time, the car had a little under 37K miles on it. Drove the car for about a week, highway and local driving, no problems and I was loving my new car! The following Monday, Feb 16th, on my drive into work. Within minutes of getting onto the highway, the check engine light came on, the what I assume to be traction light came on, and I lost total power to the car! I went from 70 to maybe 40 MPH in no time and was almost rear ended. I was able to finally merge all the way over and get off at the next exit. I immediately contacted the dealership where I purchased the car and they advised me to bring it out to them to look at it. They checked the car and it came back a misfire on 3. They told me they would contact the Chevy dealership out there, Smith Chevy in Hammond, IN, and have them take a look at it. After a couple days, I was given the car back by Richardson on Friday Feb 20th and was told that the techs at Smith were unable to replicate what happened to me. Supposedly, the still changed the spark plug and wire on 3. Also, while they had it, supposedly did the recall on some latch and the PCV. According to Richardson, they were not given a detailed work order from Smith for what they did, but that Smith's servicemen more or less just filled them in on what they did. So I took possession of the car and left. I hopped back on the highway and maybe 20 mins later, sure as hell the same damn thing happened again! This time I knew I had to prove it, so I took 2 detailed videos of what was going on at that exact moment the problem started. I've uploaded them to my YouTube channel for anyone's viewing, http://youtu.be/wDwxac4A6qY, and from there you should also be able to find the second video. Thankfully I was coming to my off ramp anyways, so I was able to quickly get off the highway before AGAIN possibly getting hit. I immediately drove it all the way back to Richardson. I showed them the footage, and they even had their tech drive it and it did the same thing to him... Engine light, traction light, code on 3.

It is now March 7th, and I just got the car back from Richardson 2 days ago on March 5th. In that time from the 20th through the 5th, Richardson had sent the car back to the Chevy dealer, Smith Chevy. They AGAIN were unable to replicate the issue and changed out the spark plug again... THAT'S IT!

In almost a month's time, I've driven my car a total of a little over 7 days. I love the car, I specifically WANTED to get this car and specific model trim. I am not a car guy, I am a nerdy tech guy who's never owned a "new" car and always got older cars. I wanted this car because I thought I could trust it, had a warranty, and I could just drive it and not have to worry about something like engine issues, etc. I had even just recently just applied to be an Uber and Lyft driver. How can I do that now when I can't even trust my car to get me from point A to point B?! Could you imagine if I had a rider in the car with me too if AND when this will happen again?! What am I supposed to do?! I still have the temporary plate for God's sake and coming up on having to make my first payment towards it... And I've had TWO major engine issues and no one at Chevy seems to know what I'm talking about! And no offense, but I won't even trust taking my car to Smith Chevy again.

Hey Don,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Smith Chevy and would like to look into this further. I understand that it can be frustrating when they are unable to replicate the issue each time you've brought your Spark in. Have you tried getting a second opinion from a different dealer? I can help you get an appointment scheduled to see if they can diagnose and replicate the concern at your second preferred dealership. If you would like assistance, please private message me your VIN, mileage, dealership name, and personal contact information. I look forward to hearing back from you soon!

Best,

Vivian K.

Chevrolet Customer Care

• 10 months later...

I am having the exact same problems as Don Hennessy right now!!! My 2013 Spark has been in the dealership several times in the past 7 DAYS! Every time they have it they cannot replicate the problem and blame it on a spark plug. As soon as I pick it up and take it on the highway for 5-10 minutes I have the exact same problem: Immediate loss of acceleration, ridiculously high RPMs to travel 35-55 mph, traction control light on and engine malfunction lamp blinking. Sometimes they stay on for the entire drive and sometimes they disappear. This last time I drove it directly to the dealership unable to exceed 35 mph and ONCE AGAIN they cannot find any error codes, cannot replicate, and now are saying two spark plugs have oil on them, but cannot tell me how the hell oil got on my spark plugs and how they never noticed it considering the last time it was in 4 days ago they blamed it on a spark plug and fried coil. I am so irritated. I am currently at around 35,450 miles.