Half stall at highway speeds?

I have about 16k miles on mine, and I have had burning oil smells off and on, at first I though maybe I was imagining it, but i am definitely not. I dont have harsh symptoms like the rest describe at 25+k miles, but now I am worried that mine is on the same path as the rest. I have so far lost 1/2 quart of oil in roughly 2k miles. I am also loosing coolant somewhere. I think I will be taking it to the dealership soon. I have a vacation planned for next week, but will take it in after that.maybe while it is in they can work on my A/C again, as it still doesnt work right. This is becoming a pretty big disappointment. I love the car, but cannot stand all the time it spends in the shop.

Please let us know if you would like us to assist with setting up a dealership visit for your vehicle concern. We are just a private message away!

Kristen A.

Chevrolet Customer Care

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well after the engine goes in, I'm going to be calling Chevy again to see what they can do about putting some type of extension on the warranty not only for all the trouble I had but for the new engin

It is most likely the same engine, but modified to avoid the problems that created the original problem. I would venture to guess that your car was developing the #4 cylinder anomaly, and was most lik

FYI - My Spark LS 5M has 20K miles and went in to the Dealership with the problem described above. I was burning about a quart of oil every 125 miles @ 65 MPH. They are ordering me a new Engine assemb

With 23,500 on the car, I think I might be next in line for an engine. Checked the oil today after washing the car and it was much lower than about 700 miles ago when I last checked it. Oil was changed at the dealer 1500 miles ago, so this doesn't look good. I'll check it again after it has been sitting longer to make sure everything drains down like it should.

I forgot about the coolant level, that pretty much says head gasket or cracked block. I'll have to check my coolant too.

I looked up the dipstick in the owner manual, I think I am going to have a hard fight on this issue unless I can prove the cylinder walls are scored. Thinking of buying one of the Harbor Freight tiny inspection cameras to go in through the spark plug hole and take a look around. Want to do this to my motorcycle because it seems a bit tight when I hit the starter.

Anyway. the dipstick is OK between both XXX marked areas, but if 700 (approximate) miles it went from the upper XXX area to the next lower dot. It was changed about 1500 miles ago at the dealer and the oil is black with sooty particles (blowby). Going to wait a little longer and see what happens before I go in since I doubt anyone will do anything for me, pretty sure it will be the waiting game to let the complete warranty run out and get into the prorated engine warranty period so I have to pay for some of the repair.

Really wish Kia would get their A segment cars over here ASAP, this car would be gone before summer! Not doing any other customizing until I know it will be kept.

Mine started using a lot of oil, over 2 quarts in 2,000 miles, first noticed it when the warning came on at about 3, 000 miles after an oil change, my wife was on the Cooper River Birdge when the scrolling warning came on the dash,the Advance auto parts guy helped her put nearly 3 quarts in the car. It started using a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. I am getting a new engine after 27,500 miles of use. I love the car , it was still running good, getting 40+ mpg but using a lot of oil before they decided to swap the engine out.....should be getting it back soon..Had 27,500 miles on it

Well after the engine goes in, I'm going to be calling Chevy again to see what they can do about putting some type of extension on the warranty not only for all the trouble I had but for the new engine so that way if this starts again I won't be having to pay for it.

I am in the same boat, I had the oil changed at the dealership every 5-6000 miles( the manual says 7,500 but I thought I was taking good care of it) but now the engine is being replaced at 27,500 miles....I feel like I should get the 36,000 additional mile warranty for the new engine, not sure it the new one is an improved --updated version or not yet.............Tim

You should be able to get a fresh 100,000 added to the engine, and I would hope at least another 24 months and 24000 miles on the rest of the car for the trouble. I will say that this car has been the most problematic car I have ever owner, it is also only the second new car I've ever owned.

What's to say these new engines people are getting aren't going to have the same issue down the road? Then what? Another new engine and eventually your stuck with it since by then warranty ' will be expired...

That is what I am wondering, is the new engine an updated one--version 2.0 ?

There seem to be a lot of posts about loss of oil. Our dealership said: replace cam cover and replace #4 spark plug. We are waiting on the parts to arrive. I hope this is the fix for the oil loss... But I do wonder about the knocking sound we hear, if it could be a computer setting issue??

I got mine back yesterday, Rick Hendricks in Charleston, sc were very good to deal with, it took a while for the replacement engine to arrive. The new engine seems much quieter than the original one, they want to change the oil in 3,000 miles, I may do it sooner for the first oil change......Tim

I've been having the same loss of power and engine problems now that I'm in north dakota. just took it to the dealer and i had almost no oil and i just changed it 3 months ago and they say nothing is wrong with my engine…… they can't replicate what I'm saying it does so they don't do anything about it. seriously? so I'm taking it back to get oil since they couldn't get me in them and while I'm there ill ask them to check the spark plugs and valve cover. maybe do a compression test too. and if i have the problem after, I'm going to raise hell to get a new engine because I'm moving back to florida in three weeks and i don't feel safe in this car right now. this is the last chevy I'm getting. its my second car and I've taken it in to get "fixed" more times then i had to fix my 96 accord! so going back to honda after this pos spark. i love the car but chevy needs to get their stuff together before selling a product.

• 4 weeks later...

I just started having these problems with my 2013 Spark last month at around 25,000 miles. I've had it in to the dealer 3 times about it shuddering and losing power while at highway speeds. They act as if mine is the first car with this problem. Two weeks ago it started clicking for no reason (Note, this was 3 weeks after I had it in for an oil change). Turned out it had used all the oil in three weeks. Today it almost stalled while I was at a stop light.

Now that I know this is happening to many Spark owners, I'm going back to dealer and ask some more pointed questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news! I was having same troubles over the weekend so I took it in to dealership on Sun. Yesterday they told me they are installing a new engine. It has a warped cylinder of all things. I am due to get it back this Fri. I will let you all know how it turns out. I hope that I get a new engine that does not end up with the same trouble.

I didn't even have to ask for the new engine, they just offered right up front.

WIll give updates at regular intervals.

Good news! I was having same troubles over the weekend so I took it in to dealership on Sun. Yesterday they told me they are installing a new engine. It has a warped cylinder of all things. I am due to get it back this Fri. I will let you all know how it turns out. I hope that I get a new engine that does not end up with the same trouble.

I didn't even have to ask for the new engine, they just offered right up front.

WIll give updates at regular intervals.

Hello leighmaxwell,

I'm happy to hear that your dealership was able to assist you into getting your Spark back to normal. Please send an update our way when your vehicle gets the new engine. We would love to hear your feedback, and we would be happy to further assist you if needed. Good luck!

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

Update on 2013 Spark engine troubles: I got my Spark back on Fri the 25th. The paperwork indicates they replaced the engine assembly and harness. I have only driven it approx 100 miles since then, but all appears well.

I was intially told the new engine would not be covered under a new warranty. I mentioned this website and that others have been afforded a new warranty on the replaced engine given that it is indeed a new part. The Service Director told me he "might be able" to get it for me.

Could you perhaps assist me in obtaining paperwork for a new warranty for the new parts that were installed in my Spark? Jim Kenbeek, Service Director of Gilbert Chevrolet is looking into it for me. His number is 863.763.3154.
Thanks,

Leigh Maxwell

How nice of them to not give you a new/extended warranty on the new part, that way when it fails again after 50,000 miles you'll probably get to pay for some of the next replacement. I was told when I bought my car that after 50,000 the driveline warranty was pro-rated and I would get to pay some amount for repairs. Maybe my sales person got it wrong, maybe they got it right. Either way I'm pretty unhappy over this whole situation and how we are getting collectively screwed! I say we because I'm still fighting over my car's repairs and it looks like I'm going to be even more screwed than you.