Strange noise, only after start up

Hey everyone. New 2013 Spark LS AUTO. Have owned for 3 weeks now.

For the past two weeks I have been experiencing a strange noise that only happens once after I start the car and drive out of the parking lot. Car makes one solid noise and it sounds like it is coming from under the car. I have no idea what it could be and as you can imagine am frustrated as a brand new car shouldn't be stressing me out.

I figured I would post here first before having to contact a dealer.

Any and all help is welcome, thank you.

The noise is quite odd. Trying to describe it, sounds to me like a creaking sort of clunk. What I have been able to pinpoint is that it only happens once (so far) right after start up and usually once I hit around 20Km/H. Almost always after a cold start in the morning. Only happens after start up and not at every startup. After I get out of the parking lot in the morning and get onto the street, once the steering wheel comes back to center seems to be when it will happen but that is also when I am around 20Km/H. When I hear it happen, it seems to be coming from under the car or more towards the rear.

Parking brake?

Nope, happens whether or not I set the brake. It happens when I first accelerate after being parked, only does it once. Sounds like the rear suspension has something loose, which wouldn't surprise me on this car, even though it's new and been driven only on smooth roads.

Have someone ride in the back seat with the rear windows down and see if they can find which side it is happening on. Could be a brake hanging up from the last stop and sitting for a while makes it stick. These cars have a terrible rust problem, after a single rain storm my front rotors are covered in light rust, and this is only during the period when it sits at work. I have NEVER had a car that rusts the rotors that fast. Image what happens when you go away for a week and leave it sitting! My clutch does the same thing after a couple days, won't smooth out for a long time, at the the clutch parts are cheap.

I have done a few test since my last post. First I thought it might have had to do with the steering wheel coming back to center, turns out that was just coincidence. I have reproduced the sound 3 times since yesterday, making sure there is no traffic behind me and going below 20Km/H till the steering comes back to center. Then I slowly climb to 20Km/H. I have noticed that the car will shift into the next gear before the sound and then as soon as I hit 20Km/H I hear it. Once again this only happens after startup and not anytime after when I go below 20Km/H.

To describe this noise a little more, sometimes it sounds like something moved around in the trunk(which is what I thought it was the first time I heard it, which it is not). Yesterday when I heard it at night it reminded me of the sound pool balls make after you rack them, if you know what I mean.

I am working on trying to capture the noise on camera to upload onto the youtubes, tried on way to work this mornin but it was noisey around me so it didn't capture all too well, will try again after work and go from there. Oh and "ValorHeart" I do NOT have a strange noise when turning the car off, thankfully. So if you do I am going to assume it is not related to this issue.

"Greg_E" If it is indeed a break hanging up, what are you thoughts on the seriousness of that being the issue, would that be somthing to bring to the dealers attention or not a big deal and just learn to live with it? At any rate I would assume getting them to fix it would be covered under warranty.

Thank you for all the help so far everyone is great! ;)

If I had a brake hanging up under about 30,000 miles I would certainly want it repaired under warranty, they might get you for a new set of shoes, but the metal parts better be good for more miles than that. Just be prepared for them to claim it is a wear item and not covered, and call to Chevy support might make it right.

So I just got back from the dealership. According to them it is exaclty what "NoSprak" said. The ABS self test.

This is extremely annoying and they say that there is nothing that can be done about it. :-(

Aside from "ValorHeart" and myself is there anyone else on this forum that can hear a noise occur at 20Km/H? Please listen for it after startup to let me know. If I had noticed this during the test drive I wouldn't have bought this vehicle. I am dissappointed to say that I am a unhappy spark owner :-(

I too have this noise and always assumed it was the hatch automatically locking because my pick up locks make a similar sound after a minute of driving but after seeing this thread I checked it out and it must be the same thing as yours.