Clutch Pedal vibration when starting from stop on 1st

Do you feel vibration from the clutch pedal when releasing the clutch? I do not feel any vibration when the clutch is released or pressed all the way down. I do feel some vibration when starting on first while releasing and increasing RPM. not a severe vibration, just enough to feel it in the bottom of my foot. I have never had a car with a plastic clutch pedal before, so don't know if this is just a normal thing or an indication of a clutch problem. Only have 1500 miles on the car, and had not noticed before since I was starting with low RPM due to break in period. I do not notice the vibration at higher gears, this may be due to the fact that I do not have to ride the clutch as long as when starting on first.

I drove around today, paying special attention to this vibration, and it seems to me that what I am feeling is high rpm engine vibrations on the pedals, I can feel it on the accelerator too. As before, it is not a severe vibration, specially on the throttle, just enough to feel a tingle on the sole of my foot when reving up and pressing and releasing the clutch pedal. There is no vibration when the clutch is all the way down, which means the throw out bearing is fine. I know this is a hard working little engine, so if it is normal to feel some vibration at high rpms I will not worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I find it easier to drive when i can feel it vibrate. I listen to loud, loud obnoxious bass in my car as well, so anything i can FEEL instead of hear is better for me to drive. My car has rumbled one time idling in neutral after startup, but i can't say it was bad or a malfunction

• 4 months later...
Hi folks, My 2013 Spark (USA, 1LT, 1.2L Manual) has this same intermittent clutch shudder issue and it is most annoying, and also difficult to reproduce on demand to demonstrate to my dealer. Cold mornings are the worst from a 1st gear start on an incline.

Has anyone had any luck replacing the 'buckle plate' or any other combination of parts to fix this? I've been to my dealer twice now to have it checked, and each time they haven't been able to reproduce the shudder. Has anyone had any success with GM customer service in authorizing a dealer repair of this issue?

This issue had also been widely reported on the "ChevySparkClub" forum - see this post:

Any generative suggestions appreciated! -JT

Edited by jtbrown3
Hi folks, My 2013 Spark (USA, 1LT, 1.2L Manual) has this same intermittent clutch shudder issue and it is most annoying, and also difficult to reproduce on demand to demonstrate to my dealer. Cold mornings are the worst from a 1st gear start on an incline.
Has anyone had any luck replacing the 'buckle plate' or any other combination of parts to fix this? I've been to my dealer twice now to have it checked, and each time they haven't been able to reproduce the shudder. Has anyone had any success with GM customer service in authorizing a dealer repair of this issue?
This issue had also been widely reported on the "ChevySparkClub" forum - see this post:
Any generative suggestions appreciated! -JT

Hey JT,

I apologize for these concerns with your Spark. I would be happy to look into this further for you, and assist the best way possible. Can you please send me a private message with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership? Hope to hear from you soon.

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

Never noticed this. My E36 BMW has a plastic clutch pedal too.. Never noticed either. However, I'm accustomed to my 79 F100 with a stick, so I'm probably not the one that should be judging this. Are you driving barefoot or with flip flops? Those magnify everything.