CEL Flashing, Traction Control Illuminated, Rough Idle and Hard Clunking

I have a 2013 chevy spark 1Lt auto with 52,000 miles on it. Same issue happened yesterday. It was cold out, I pulled out of my subdivision and just down the road it happened--the traction control light and CEL light blinking. I pulled over to figure out what flashing CEL might mean and in doing so I turned it off. Before I turned it off, the engine was jumping real hard. I thought it was going to jump out of the car. So I turned it back on and it seemed to be ok. My manual said to drive slow and don't accelerate hard. Two miles down the road it couldnt make it up this large hill and stalled out. So I called someone to come switch cars with me as my commute is 45 minutes. When they took it home they said they couldn't get it to go to third gear/beyond 30 mph. I havent tried it today yet, but I am afraid. After reading all these posts I'm not sure what I should do. I know I need to take it to the dealer, but knowing I am not the only one with this issue, I don't feel I should get the go around.

Any advice would be taken kindly.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So if it has happened to more people than just me on a car that is less than 2 years old, then I'm starting to think it deserves attention from GM or at least a bulletin for the service techs so that

This was conversation I had directly with the GM complaint line 866-790-5700 when you call there, they assign you a case number and worker, and their job is to get the problems solved. She said that a

Metal shavings in the engine? No advanced symptoms, or strange noises? A trip from hell, and it is a major inconvenience, but fortunately, it sounds like you are dealing with a decent dealership, and

Posted Images

This forum is eye openning!!! I have a 2013 Spark 2LT Silver with 49000 miles and I purchased this in August 2014 and now I am having this CEL AND TRACTION CONTROL lights and very ruff running above 30 mph. I have a lot of issues with this car when the weather is cold. This is not my first issue with this car I had a heater fan issue that after a half hour it would shut off and then about 15 minutes later it would work took it to dealer and they could not find the issue.

Hi Jeffery,

Very sorry for these concerns! I would be happy to also look into this on my end as well and contact the dealership on your behalf. Please send me a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

• 2 weeks later...

Update: After my Spark got towed to the dealership January 12th, 2015. Finding nothing wrong with it, at pick up they said it could just be new engine breaking in.

Touch wood with the new engine in I haven't experienced any issues that I was having, fires up even on the coldest of days. Let's hope it stays that way then I shall be a happy Spark owner :D

• 3 weeks later...

This is my follow up to my earlier post. My car now has 55,000 miles on it. So I brought the car into the dealership. They said I over filled my oil and had to drain it. They said oil has spilled into the spark plugs and so they had to replace the spark plugs. Total spent= $80. So, I said well this doesn't seem bad. Took it home and it was jumping on the highway, same symptoms. I brought her right back and they took a look at it. Had to keep it overnight. Ready for pick up the next day. They said it was the coil pack. I don't believe they replaced it, but they said there was some rust or damage to it, due to the spark plugs getting messed up. Total spent= $0. It has been over a month and have had virtually no issue.

I woke up this morning March 16th, with the same symptoms. I have an appointment scheduled for 1 pm. Hopefully the issue will be resolved. I have not had my next oil change yet, so they can't say it is an issue with the oil.

Here's the thing: Once the PCV valve has failed and thereby dumping oil straight into the intake, if driven for more than 50 or so miles, there is usually such a variety of damage done to the engine by failing components due to contaminated sensors that replacing the PCV alone, will not correct damage already done. Sorta like the 'domino' effect where the PCV failure causes an immediate, for example, spark plug fouled. The fouled plug may cause a sensor to give faulty timing data that in turn will cause one or more cylinders to run hotter that may in turn warp the cyl or damage a valve caused by a gasket failure that may in turn cause warping...and so it goes. Seems the only happy customers that had the PCV actually fail are the ones who had the engine replaced..most of the rest have on going issues. I refer, of course, only to people who have had the PCV actually fail..not the people who had the PCV replaced before failure.

• 1 month later...

Just bought a CPO 2013 Spark with 49K miles 9 days ago. On day 3 I get a flashing CEL light. I grab the owners manual and it states "possible misfire. contact your dealer". GREAT. This has happened several times now. I also have experienced low output from the A/C, some mysterious odor coming from the vents (Kinda like burning rubber), a lot of high end ticking in the motor, very erratic rpms on startup.

Now reading this forum, I'm beginning to believe that I've been taken. How can a car thats been certified give all these problems?

I'm scheduling a trip to the dealer now. I'll have an update next week. Wish me luck.

Hello Allysdado,

I'd like to apologize for the vehicle concerns that you've experienced with your 2013 Spark. We realize how discouraging is to encounter issues early in ownership and understand your frustration. With that said, I am very happy to hear that you'll be speaking with your dealer regarding your concerns. Should you need an extra layer of assistance, feel free to send us a private message and I'd be glad to help!

Be sure to keep us updated on how everything turns out.

Jasmine F

Chevrolet Customer Care

Just bought a CPO 2013 Spark with 49K miles 9 days ago. On day 3 I get a flashing CEL light. I grab the owners manual and it states "possible misfire. contact your dealer". GREAT. This has happened several times now. I also have experienced low output from the A/C, some mysterious odor coming from the vents (Kinda like burning rubber), a lot of high end ticking in the motor, very erratic rpms on startup.

Now reading this forum, I'm beginning to believe that I've been taken. How can a car thats been certified give all these problems?

I'm scheduling a trip to the dealer now. I'll have an update next week. Wish me luck.

Sounds like the PCV & A/C recall was not done resulting in low engine oil volume causing the 'ticking' sound from the engine. Check your oil level.

I've had my spark 6 months now I have code 82, rough idling, almost no acceleration, TC light come on and off for no reason, check engine light on, registered a misfire cylinder 3 changed spark plugs and nothing got better. It's very frustrating. I guess I should be headed back to the dealer. GM needs to step it up, and do something about this.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys first post / new member. This problem brought me to the forum. 2013 2LT 44,986 miles on the dial, cruise control on at 70 mph for 20mins when this problem found it's way to my car. No problems with car ever, this is first. Doesn't run as bad as some of you guys have had. It is a manual and after sorting out the harmonically balanced points in the rpm range I was able to drive her over the 55 miles to get back home. Even at highway speeds. It wasn't fun, but she's home. Used my code reader, and P0304. As I'm sure you guessed. Calling my dealership in the morning will update as I can.

Hi guys first post / new member. This problem brought me to the forum. 2013 2LT 44,986 miles on the dial, cruise control on at 70 mph for 20mins when this problem found it's way to my car. No problems with car ever, this is first. Doesn't run as bad as some of you guys have had. It is a manual and after sorting out the harmonically balanced points in the rpm range I was able to drive her over the 55 miles to get back home. Even at highway speeds. It wasn't fun, but she's home. Used my code reader, and P0304. As I'm sure you guessed. Calling my dealership in the morning will update as I can.

First off, welcome to the forum Mark! I am assuming you has the PCV recall done? If not that is the most likely cause with the #4 getting oil sucked into the combustion chamber. The CEL flashing and traction light on as well as rough running/idle are symptomatic of the PCV failure issue. If you had the PCV recall done then it is most likely a spark plug coil at #4 or an intake valve issue but those issues usually present with CEL on solid and no traction light....anyways your powertrain warranty is still in effect, however it does not cover coils or plugs. Good to take it in to the dealer ASAP since if it is a PCV failure it can cause more damage if driven for anything other than a trip to the dealer..Let us know the outcome as many of the forum members are interested in these kinda issues.

• 4 months later...

Im having the same issue...

CEl light flashing this morning, the same tac light coming on, the hard idle, and it was reving hard like trying to go up a hill just trying to get to any speed.

Its a the dealer, and they dont know whats wrong yet...

Im getting really fed up with this damn car. It was just in for yge transmission fixx, and suddenly its running really smooth (besides this morning).

Which is hillarious, because every issue i was having before seemed to fix after the recall...

I think after this fix, i might be fighting the dealership to try and get as much of my money back as i can... this car has been broken more than my 1993 with 150k miles...

Ugh.... the dealer just told me they couldnt replicate it, so there is no problem.

I mentioned what others have said in this thread, and the service guy said he'd check it out. But i have a feeling it will be returned to me, again, after taking it to a dealer with the comment of 'well, we cant make it do what you said it did, so its all in your head'

Edit:

After teo conversations with the dealer, and contacting customer service, im finally told cyclinder 3 is misfiring, but they cant replicate it. So they cant do anything about it.

Edited by VegasSpark

Incompetent! If they know cyl is misfiring then they don't need to replicate it..just check the coil on plug and the plug for starters..they need to know how to work using process of elimination. If plug and coil are OK then onto the next ignition component and so on...I would contact GM customer care and explain..they are mostly very helpful in getting your dealer to fix the problem for good, even if it means replacing the entire engine. GM customer care is taken very seriously by dealers if they want to keep selling & servicing GM cars...'Nuff said!!

Edited by Retired old Gearhead
  • 3 weeks later...

So my car was bought brand new with less than 80miles on the odometer in may of 2013. I have kept up with ALL of the maintenance; oil changes on time and taken care of the recalls immediately when received AT THE CHEVROLET DEALER.

My car now has 68,000 miles on it and up to this point has been a good car.

So now the nightmare begins.

My family and I decide to take our 8 children from Kentucky to S. Carolina to visit their grandparents. We take 2 vehicles to accommodate us. The trip going was issue free, the week was issue free. Move on to the day we leave..... its 3am Monday and we load up and start down the road on our 10 hour trip (we leave at this time to avoid most of the traffic and so the kids will b asleep). 50 miles into the trip my CEL light starts flashing, traction light comes on and the engine is shaking so bad I can barely control the car. Immediately we pull over. I pull out my handy dandy owners manual and start researchering. So it says there's an emissions issue and to turn the car off for 10 second then back on. Done! The light cut off and we get back on the road. 5 more miles up the highway SAME THING AGAIN; CEL flashing, traction light on, no power, and shaking engine. Now it's 5 in the morning and we are 50 miles from the in-laws 600 MILES FROM HOME WITH 8 CHILDREN, ONE OF THEM BEING 10 MONTHS OLD, AND BASICALLY STRANDED.

After a brief discussion my husband and I decide to drive back to his parents and go from there.

I find a Chevy dealer but they don't open until 730 so we sit up and wait to call. 7:30 comes around and I call, but they are so over-booked w appointments that they can't get me in for 2 days. She gives me the number for a dealership 20 miles away, but they don't open until 9am. So we wait! At this point no one has had any sleep, we have to call in to work , and still don't even kno what's wrong W the car.

Finally I get ahold of Tod at the dealership 20 miles away and he says bring the car in around noon. I get the car there and leave it. 3 hours later we kno it's not spark plugs or coils.

By 5pm it's established that at minimum the #4 cylinder is bad, but not sure if the heads are damaged or what else might be wrong. So Tod informs me that as of now it could be a 3-5 business day fix or 7-10 business day fix. Well it's Monday and we have to get home and back to work. So we decide we are going to have to leave the car and half the kids in South Carolina and get home. After a quick meal, repacking, and a 2hr nap we get on the road, its now 10:30 pm Monday night. I drive 7 of the 10 hour trip home so my husband can get some sleep because he has to b at work at 4pm Tuesday for a 12 hour shift.

9am Tuesday morning HOME SWEET HOME, Less 1 car, 3 kids, 1 day of work and about 10+ hours of slepp.

So by 3pm Tod calls.....THE DIAGNOSIS IS WORSE THAN EXPECTED, metal shavings all in the engine. GM decides to just replace the WHOLE ENGINE. WOW! So now how long will this take. Uuuhh, question of the day. Could be 2weeks, could be 4.

Engine has been ordered.

By the way this will be covered by GM via my powertrain warranty. And they will provide a rental, but only for 5 days.

I guess we'll see what happens and where we go from here.

Edited by JessieD29

When I buy a new car the first thing I look at is the warranty, particularly the powertrain. No matter how good the reports are on the car, a manufacturing defect or material weakness, etc can show up with a lot of miles on it and without that warranty, well..you get my drift. The Spark 100K/5yr powertrain warranty is excellent in its class of low end car..my Range Rover Sport costing 6x as much as the Spark only has a 4yr/80Kmi warranty..mind you it is bumper to bumper...but I would rather have the longer powertrain warranty as that is where the big costs come in to play..so, ya..I think the Spark powertrain warranty, specially on a fairly new and unproven powertrain at the time is excellent for piece of mind and I certainly would not have bought a Spark..even at the low price if it did not have that warranty. The Rover is a more time proven powertrain, so the shorter warranty was mostly OK with me..but I did have to think about it for a while and get my mechanic's opinion on the whole car before I plunked down that kinda money.

With the Spark, my mechanic said he knew nothing about them when they first came out in the US, but told me that with that kinda warranty on the big $$ stuff, well you can't go wrong with less than $15K invested..Having serviced a few high mileage Sparks he now thinks they are a great value and his son bought one on his recommendation.

So my car was bought brand new with less than 80miles on the odometer in may of 2013. I have kept up with ALL of the maintenance; oil changes on time and taken care of the recalls immediately when received AT THE CHEVROLET DEALER.

My car now has 68,000 miles on it and up to this point has been a good car.

So now the nightmare begins.

My family and I decide to take our 8 children from Kentucky to S. Carolina to visit their grandparents. We take 2 vehicles to accommodate us. The trip going was issue free, the week was issue free. Move on to the day we leave..... its 3am Monday and we load up and start down the road on our 10 hour trip (we leave at this time to avoid most of the traffic and so the kids will b asleep). 50 miles into the trip my CEL light starts flashing, traction light comes on and the engine is shaking so bad I can barely control the car. Immediately we pull over. I pull out my handy dandy owners manual and start researchering. So it says there's an emissions issue and to turn the car off for 10 second then back on. Done! The light cut off and we get back on the road. 5 more miles up the highway SAME THING AGAIN; CEL flashing, traction light on, no power, and shaking engine. Now it's 5 in the morning and we are 50 miles from the in-laws 600 MILES FROM HOME WITH 8 CHILDREN, ONE OF THEM BEING 10 MONTHS OLD, AND BASICALLY STRANDED.

After a brief discussion my husband and I decide to drive back to his parents and go from there.

I find a Chevy dealer but they don't open until 730 so we sit up and wait to call. 7:30 comes around and I call, but they are so over-booked w appointments that they can't get me in for 2 days. She gives me the number for a dealership 20 miles away, but they don't open until 9am. So we wait! At this point no one has had any sleep, we have to call in to work , and still don't even kno what's wrong W the car.

Finally I get ahold of Tod at the dealership 20 miles away and he says bring the car in around noon. I get the car there and leave it. 3 hours later we kno it's not spark plugs or coils.

By 5pm it's established that at minimum the #4 cylinder is bad, but not sure if the heads are damaged or what else might be wrong. So Tod informs me that as of now it could be a 3-5 business day fix or 7-10 business day fix. Well it's Monday and we have to get home and back to work. So we decide we are going to have to leave the car and half the kids in South Carolina and get home. After a quick meal, repacking, and a 2hr nap we get on the road, its now 10:30 pm Monday night. I drive 7 of the 10 hour trip home so my husband can get some sleep because he has to b at work at 4pm Tuesday for a 12 hour shift.

9am Tuesday morning HOME SWEET HOME, Less 1 car, 3 kids, 1 day of work and about 10+ hours of slepp.

So by 3pm Tod calls.....THE DIAGNOSIS IS WORSE THAN EXPECTED, metal shavings all in the engine. GM decides to just replace the WHOLE ENGINE. WOW! So now how long will this take. Uuuhh, question of the day. Could be 2weeks, could be 4.

Engine has been ordered.

By the way this will be covered by GM via my powertrain warranty. And they will provide a rental, but only for 5 days.

I guess we'll see what happens and where we go from here.

Hello JessieD29,

I'm terribly sorry to hear you've encountered such frustrations with your Spark. I recognize how stressful this situation was for you and your family and do apologize for the inconvenience caused. Please keep us updated on your engine replacement as we'd be more than happy to assist if needed. Just so you are aware, we're available via private message. Thank you for taking out the time to post your experience on the forum and have a great weekend.

Jasmine

Chevrolet Customer Care

Edited by Chevrolet Customer Care