Thinking about a long drive

just incase you dont have triple A i would try to aquire a donut

Good advice, but if you can't score a donut, you still have Onstar, and roadside assistance, so no matter what, you're good to go. Enjoy the trip, the great mileage, and the instant engine break in. ;)

Good advice, but if you can't score a donut, you still have Onstar, and roadside assistance, so no matter what, you're good to go. Enjoy the trip, the great mileage, and the instant engine break in. ;)

@waltk holy crap thats right haha...

@Kevin your actually good to go... i forgot about onstar.

When you drive faster than 70mph, your mpgs will start to drop like a rock, but it'll still be decent. I don't recall the interstates in LA being that bad, many of the two lane hwys are, but the 55mph limit on them will yeld some impressive mpgs. I suggest running 42psi cold on the tires if your going to drive at higher speeds, below 40psi the hwy ride gets crappy. If you like Creole food, LA and east TX is where you'll find the best places for it.

This is encouraging. @lovegun7 I have Onstar and AAA.

My corporate car is a new Camry. Nice car but I am actually more comfortable in the Spark. I also had a Crüze last weekend while GM changed out my AC compressor. Again, the larger car seems more cramped inside. I really like the engineering if the Spark's interior.

This is encouraging. @lovegun7 I have Onstar and AAA. My corporate car is a new Camry. Nice car but I am actually more comfortable in the Spark. I also had a Crüze last weekend while GM changed out my AC compressor. Again, the larger car seems more cramped inside. I really like the engineering if the Spark's interior.

I also had a Cruze loaner while mine was in the shop for a week, I didn't like it at all. Cramped compared to the Spark, and getting 7mpgs less than my car, even with the 1.4 turbo. Hyundai and Toyota know how to make a better compact car, I hope on my next long repair I get a Elantra.

Being a Houston native, I can advice you to expect lots of tractor trailer traffic as soon as you enter Texas. The semis dont always stick to the right lane so keep both hands on the wheel and stay sharp, our cars are not the most visible to the weary trucker. Right after Beaumont you will hit an area of bays and lakes, so expect crosswind on the freeway.

BTW i had a chevy Tahoe as a rental... VERY NICE... mpg garabge lol.

2nd time around i had a Challenger ... if you guys think the spark speakers suck... hop in a 2013 base challenger ... you'd think the sound would be better for the price tag... nope.

AAA and Onstar you should be signed sealed and delivered. if its too much of a stretch id even opt to go AAA plus ... i did it last year for the towing miles.

I have taken two long trips in my Spark and have not regretted it at all. I did find a donut spare to place in my car as a precaution and use the road side assistance as a plan B. It is a comfortable car to drive on trips with a acceptable ride quality. I believe you will enjoy the experience.

About the interior comments.....

Whenever someone sees the Spark for the first time, they always want to sit in it. EVERY person so far has either said man I really like that cabin/interior, or commented on the actual room in it. My tallest buddy is 6'2, and the first thing he said was man I didn't expect all this room looking at it from the outside B)

I'm a very tall 5'6, so I have PLENTY of room in the Spark!

Edited by tommyspark

I really like the engineering if the Spark's interior.

I don't, when I'm by myself sure it's fine. Two adult males in the front, very tight squeeze. Tough shifting. I'm 6'6" 225 and a friend I was driving around was 6'3". I know someone else here on the forum is 6'5" and his buddy is 6'8" or something and they go to the gym in the Spark. I don't know how they do it. I know they can do it, but I want to be comfortable. Shoulder to shoulder is not comfortable.

Edited by dbnspark

I drove My spark 2100 miles from Buffalo NY to Va Beach, then Cincinnati Ohio and Back to Buffalo. (a week between each stretch) Having never driven that distance before it was quite a trip.

Not sure if any of you have experienced it but I started to get motion sickness from the bumpy roads that the Spark doesn't handle well. After I arrived in VA Beach it took me a few days to start feeling normal again.

I really wish I went with the Model that has cruise control as my knee started to really bug me 3/4 of the way through a stretch. (advil helped)

You do get great gas mileage above 70 and the car feels like it will just glide and never stop when you take your foot off the pedal. (unlike in low speed)

Gas savings was awesome We usually got 300 miles before having to fuel up, only costing us like $20-$30 depending on the state/price.

Traveling through the Mountains of West VA, You really have to put your foot to the floor to get any response from the spark while hill climbing. The engine revs and sounds super loud but it still handles the mountains nicely.

Our AC actually died on us half way through the trip. A common problem in sparks i guess.

All in All the trip was fun and our little Spark had more than enough room for all our things,

Bring an imput jack so you can play music off of an ipod or phone with pandora.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just drove 200 miles to Dallas, excellent fuel economy and no problems running at constant higway speeds. The only thing I didnt like is when I hit segments of road that where being repaved, the kind that have been scraped prior to repaving, the tiny tires on the Spark did not like that at all, vibration, lucky for me, they where working on one lane at a time, so I was able to switch to even tarmac.

• 5 months later...

Drove my Spark LS from Tucson Arizona to Appleton Wisconsin 3 weeks ago. 1850 miles each way. Trip avg mpg was 41.2 and a lot of the driving was 70 -75 mph. And when I got to Wisconsin it was COLD, and I mean cold. The heater worked awesome though. I drove alone and it took me 2 days each way. For a small car, it was a fairly comfortable drive. My Spark ran just fine, even on the 85 octane gas that they sell in New Mexico. I did drive in some snow in Wisconsin and the car seemed to handle just fine but I did drive slower than I normally do in Tucson.