Broken clutch pedal?

Ok, personally I dont want to passon bogus info, but I read on "that other spark forum" about some people having issues with thier clutch pedals snapping off. Seems most of the complainers are not in the US, so....is this a valid concern or bogus scare, or is this only occuring on non-US sold models? Should I look this one up on snopes.com?

No one here has reported a problem yet, the closest thing was a single user with broken shifter cables. I have 15,000 miles on my Spark, and many of those were spirited driving so I probably would have broken it by now if it were weak. Might have been a bad batch of parts that happened to only go into cars being made for that location (right hand drive?).

• 8 months later...

I think a more valid concern is the possibility of contaminated fluid or possible master/slave cylinder issues. I've been getting an occasional soft clutch pedal with sluggish response when you lift your foot back off the clutch. One of those you feel your foot leave the pedal while you are letting it out for a gear.

• 3 months later...

Hi all! I can clarify the recall is warranted! My clutch has felt fine, no clues. And last night when just reversing out of my parking bay outside my house, it felt very hard to put back in 1st gear, tried a couple of times then the clutch pedal snapped clean off! I'm just glad I was outside and not driving with my kids in the car! I've only 21,000 on the clock, and it has been serviced etc! That's terrible! Hope they will fix it?!!

Interesting that I come across this now after my shift cable breaks. The past few weeks I had been thinking that my clutch pedal felt kinda sticky and tense. It wasn't smooth like it had been before

Hey there,

Do you need any assistance with this? I would be happy to look into this further for you, and connect with your preferred dealership. Feel free to send me a private message with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the name of your dealership!

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

• 1 year later...

I am just new on here today and I would like to clarify that the clutch is most definatley a problem on this car I have a 2012 model and I live in Scotland and last night the clutch pedal snapped on my way home from work the milage is at 60,000 miles just now. At first I thought it was my gears as I was finding it hard to put it into gear for a few weeks but then all of a sudden last night as I tried to put it in to 1st the pedal snapped. Arnold Clark are trying to charge me for this and I can assure them I won't be paying a penny as I received a letter about a product recall regarding the clutch a month back but never had the time to take it in to get fixed. Please don't make the mistake I made and get it checked out.

• 5 years later...

I am also an unlucky owner of the Chev Spark 2012 with a snapped clutch pedal, that I've made a temporary fix on with a welded bracket around the snapped part, but the pedal pushed through the firewall as well when it snapped and now it snaps my clutch cable every two or 3 months, because the mounting is a complete fail.

16 hours ago, Ben10 said:

I am also an unlucky owner of the Chev Spark 2012 with a snapped clutch pedal, that I've made a temporary fix on with a welded bracket around the snapped part, but the pedal pushed through the firewall as well when it snapped and now it snaps my clutch cable every two or 3 months, because the mounting is a complete fail.

Great help from CMH Chev Umhlanga. Apparently a clutch pedal snapping in half is wear and tear, so nowadays, should we be replacing our clutch pedals and clutch cables during each minor service?