As many of you know, for a lot of us the dealer is the only place to get oil filters at this time. Has anyone found a filter that fits? I had a 2000 cavalier, and used a totally different filter than the one made for it. As long as the threads and hole are the same; any filter should work. Has anyone found one?

I had to fly to UK for a funeral last week so I drove my Spark to Zagreb airport, about a 2 hour drive. On the way there the oil light came on and I had to stop and buy oil. This seemed strange as it was not that long since I checked the oil. The light came on again yesterday when on a shopping trip so this time I looked more carefully and found there is a leak. I did a bit of dismantling today, thinking it was the head gasket or something but it turned out that the oil filter has rusted through! I don't do many miles but I have had the car over a year so I suppose I should do an oil and filter change every 12 months. It came with a full service history and I got it from a Chevy dealer but I never trust any garage to service a car properly.

• 8 months later...

12 months? I change my oil 4 times that often. But the main reason for this post is to warn people about Fram oil filters. If they don't now, they will make a filter for the Spark. They are junk. I personally know of 3 different engines that were destroyed when the element inside the filter came unglued, plugging up the filter solid. I have heard about many more. At my former job, we used Wix or NAPA filters only if they are available for the engine. 2 of those engines were in city owned vehicles, and were replaced at taxpayer expense. Fram filters are now forbidden on the premises.