When should i do my first oil change

On my last car I had to get the oil changed after the first 500 miles. I guess we don't need to do that anymore.

I got my Spark in January and still have not changed the oil. The life meter is about 30 something and have 4700 miles.

Edited by Jeffrey Makela

If you look at the factory oil filter, you'll see yellow lines from the factory going down it from the filter housing. You may want to check this after visiting the dealer for the first oil change. My dealer didn't have the filter in stock, so they just called the job complete, and sent me on my way thinking it was done. I don't trust any dealer service, especially around here. I nearly made I scene when I brought that one to their attention, which was why they gave me $90 credit to use there, which I will not, just to shut me up. The filter is a dealer only part at this time, fyi.

Edited by austex04

If you look at the factory oil filter, you'll see yellow lines from the factory going down it from the filter housing. You may want to check this after visiting the dealer for the first oil change. My dealer didn't have the filter in stock, so they just called the job complete, and sent me on my way thinking it was done. I don't trust any dealer service, especially around here. I nearly made I scene when I brought that one to their attention, which was why they gave me $90 credit to use there, which I will not, just to shut me up. The filter is a dealer only part at this time, fyi.

And THIS is exactly why I won't let ANYONE else wrench on my cars outside of warranty work! Even something as simple as an oil change

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever you do, do not have your oil changed at walmart. They may not even change the filter and will most likely overfill the engine with some cheap off brand oil. I got $10 oil changes for life at my dealer, so I will use that, but for those that did not get the option for an oil change deal, do a search online for Chevrolet dealer service coupons, many have oil change specials often just to bring customers in.

I will go to the dealer parts to get the filter, then to Walmart for a 5qt jug of M1 for $27, then do the rest myself. I have ramps and a nice carport to work in. At least I know if the filter was changed, and the right amount of oil put in. At this rate, I should be due for the second change sometime in late October. I do need to know if I also need to pick up a new crush washer, like most imports use, or if the drain plug has a reusable gasket. So far nobody answered that here, so most must surrender to the monkeys at the dealers for maintenance.

Edited by austex04