does the chevy spark have a timing belt

Nope! I can answer this one because if it did have a belt I would have never bought the Spark. Remember the Aveo? Alot of manufactures are making the move away from belts now because of failures. Nissan got away from them a long time ago. I had an 02 Sentra that had a chain. Kia and Hyundia are still using belts full force as far as I know. My mom just had her belt changed in her 06 Kia Sportage 2.7 V6 and it cost her $1000 and it didnt include the water pump or pulleys which is complete bullshit, That money it should have included EVERYTHING the timing belt touches. And BTW Kia and Hyundai have a great warranty BUT if you have a timing belt failure at 65k miles and wipe out an engine you are screwed because 60K miles is when the belt needs to be changed. NEVER buy a car with a timing belt unless its a NON interference engine.

Edited by Classing

but the sales man told me I need to have the timing belt replaced in 5 years on the spark.

I guess he is wrong

Nope! I can answer this one because if it did have a belt I would have never bought the Spark. Remember the Aveo? Alot of manufactures are making the move away from belts now because of failures. Nissan got away from them a long time ago. I had an 02 Sentra that had a chain. Kia and Hyundia are still using belts full force as far as I know. My mom just had her belt changed in her 06 Kia Sportage 2.7 V6 and it cost her $1000 and it didnt include the water pump or pulleys which is complete bullshit, That money it should have included EVERYTHING the timing belt touches. And BTW Kia and Hyundai have a great warranty BUT if you have a timing belt failure at 65k miles and wipe out an engine you are screwed because 60K miles is when the belt needs to be changed. NEVER buy a car with a timing belt unless its a NON interference engine.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, sorry you guys have been given such bad information. Some "salesmen" should be forced to work on a used Aveo lot for life, lol.

Unfortunately, I have had similar experiences, so I went out and self-informed. Thank goodness for Google!

The Spark absolutely has a timing chain which does not require any maintenance, ever.

The spark plugs are rated at 100,000 miles and the radiator fluid and tranny fluid are rated at 150,000 miles.

This is considered to be one of the lowest cost to own cars ever produced by Chevy.

Chevy's propaganda post:

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/press_kits.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Nov/1113_spark.html

...and then the proof of the pudding from another source:

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/99/2013/chevrolet/spark/ls_hatchback/1006/ownership_costs.html

Specs from GM (1.2L VVT):

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/VehicleEngines/PowertrainProducts.aspx

More useless facts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Spark#Engines

Also, just FYI, the Chevy/GM warranty is honored by any GM dealership, not just Chevy , not just where you bought your car, any participating GM dealer in the US.

And.. as far as timing belts, not as horrible as they were years ago. Honda (and some Korean brands) does still use belts in their V6 engines ex: the Pilot, etc... These newer gen belts are reinforced as to last 100,000 miles at least. One advantage of a belt is a smoother engine than most with chains, but the advantage of a chain is clear, nothing to change or maintain for the life of the car.

Oh and sadly, I could not find any info in our manuals about the timing chain maintenance, as there is no maintenance, guess they didn't print it.

I hope this all helps.

Edited by Sparktacus