Ringing noise from rear of car?

When it is moving or just when the car is running? Car rolling might be wheel bearing. Just running might be fuel pump. The only other moving parts are the brakes, and the ABS pump is in the front so you shouldn't hear that at the back corner.

When it is moving or just when the car is running? Car rolling might be wheel bearing. Just running might be fuel pump. The only other moving parts are the brakes, and the ABS pump is in the front so you shouldn't hear that at the back corner.

you hear it when moving or when stopped nothing like a wheel bearing the best description I heard was like letting the air out of a balloon!

Just about has to be fuel pump then, unless you hear it with the car shut off. It might be possible to be the vent for the fuel tank, many motorcycles do this after a ride, they will sit and cry for many minutes while the pressure equalizes. Ninja 250 are known for this problem.

It is your fuel pump. I had mine replaced a couple of months ago for the same reason. Try to take it by the dealer when it is making the sound so that the service tech can hear it.

Well the shop floorman heard it so its getting diagnosed. Like I said its not just when the car is running even after being shut off it continued.

Edited by Riku89

Then it is probably the evaporative system, surprised it isn't throwing an error code.

I have had 4 repairs done to the AC and no fix now this I might trade in sadly I like the car as a whole but dont want to deal with the headache of all the warranty work!

Edited by Riku89

any way to skip the lemon law and just threaten to file lemon law with the dealer maybe they will take buy back cause I know they will eat court cost and lawyers so maybe I can kind of push them to it stating I will go through with it?

• 1 year later...

I have been having a very simular issue with my 2013 Spark. I have this ringing sound towards the rear passanger side of my car. It is intermittent and occurs when my car is running, whether or not it is moving. Once I shut the engine off it goes away.

Since it seems to occur randomly (and mostly in the evening) the dealership service department couldn't recreate it when I took it in. When I swung by the dealership when it was happening (they were closing so they couldn't diagnose it at the time) a tech said it could be the fuel pump.

I took it in for the valve recall and mentioned the issue but they (of course) couldn't recreate the ringing sound.

Any advise on what to do or how to recreate the sound when I take it in for service?

• 3 weeks later...

I have been having a very simular issue with my 2013 Spark. I have this ringing sound towards the rear passanger side of my car. It is intermittent and occurs when my car is running, whether or not it is moving. Once I shut the engine off it goes away.

Since it seems to occur randomly (and mostly in the evening) the dealership service department couldn't recreate it when I took it in. When I swung by the dealership when it was happening (they were closing so they couldn't diagnose it at the time) a tech said it could be the fuel pump.

I took it in for the valve recall and mentioned the issue but they (of course) couldn't recreate the ringing sound.

Any advise on what to do or how to recreate the sound when I take it in for service?

I've had that on occasion and it reminds me of a tuning fork. Very faint at a certain pitch. I suppose it's a metal object, maybe a brake drum touching something as it turns causing it to ring as it turns slowly.