2014 Spark w / CVT Transmission - Test Drive or Purchase?

I just picked mine up yesterday, did my first commute to work this morning and so far I have no complaints. My ride is all highway and lots of hills and inclines and I really didn't feel like I was struggling to keep up with traffic. So far I am very happy.

• 4 weeks later...

CVT seems great thus far. Had the 4 speed auto before this purchase and I like it much better than the previous auto transmission. Don't notice a lot of difference, other than shift feeling is pretty much non existent. Speed bumps are not a problem as long as you approach with care and the Spark is definitely better than my 2011 Honda Fit which seems to drag over everything. I was worried about where the CVT was built; however, in checking at purchase, I find it is made in Japan so that eased my concern a bit. Try it, you will like it.

Edited by yuwan63755
  • 3 weeks later...

I just bought one yesterday and so far, so good. Its weird the way the engine searches around and I think they added artificial shifts that you can feel, since the public seems to need that. I just keep in mind that the weirdness is all an effort to have better mileage. Plus, I am a strict cruise control user, in that I use it all the time, on every road.

• 1 month later...

Very happy with mine. We have put 1000 miles on her in about 2 weeks so far, a good mix of City (45mph) and highway (72mph), and we have a lifetime average of 37 from the onstar app. The dash displays around the 35-36 when my wife drives, and 36-37 when I drive.

I have not driven the previous auto, but this one seems to keep speed well, and not over rev. It does take a good pedal push to get the car moving, but once it is rolling, it accelerates just fine for me. I am quite impressed with the pep of the little engine :)

• 11 months later...

when I purchased my 5 speed 1lt spark I also test drove one with a cvt tranny and hated it ...The reason why it shifted all the time and had no pickup but lots of engine noise...I would like to say if I lived in the city and had to shift every stop light I would purchase the cvt...... :shift:

Edited by virginiamtspark

I've had mine now since may and have put over 9,500 miles on it and it seems to get better and better all the time. At first I thought it was very sluggish pulling out but as it has broken it and loosened up it really scoots away from stoplights now. Since I live in the mountains I am glad I didn't get the manual because I would be rowing the shifter all the time going up hills. This car never has a problem keeping up with the speed limit.

Edited by Angrybird12

It doesn't make since that they get the same fuel mileage and one can turn that many more rpms go figure???? :headscratch:

The CVT reacts quickly to changes in terrain, as you go up hills the rpms will increase rapidly so not to lose speed. I have noticed on cruise control this car is excellent in maintaining speed even on steep inclines at 70mph. I bet on flat land on cruise at 70 the CVT would get much better mileage than a manual would, but a since I don't live where there is flat land I probably won't get to find out any time soon. Edited by Angrybird12
  • 3 months later...

2015 1LT Spark 3 days old. CVT is the way to go in this car. Too bad they had to put false shift points in to satisfy the public. What can be better than SMOOTH acceleration from start to whatever speed you want? Would be 5 star experience for me, but I will settle for 4.5 star rating, only because of fake shift points. Really looking forward to the gas milage. Traded a PT Cruiser GT convertible with high output turbo (230 HP) That thing would hustle. Well, on second day of Sparky I just had to nail it from a dead stop to about 50. Amazing is the best way to describe my feelings. Of course not like my GT Cruiser, but plenty quick and very satisfying. Happy camper here. :) Will miss the convertible for sure. :sad:

Edited by geogary