If your hooking into the factory radio, you either need an amp that has high level inputs, or a line converter and tap into your speaker leads. Easy enough to do with the rear speakers being visable. Assuming the amp is for subs?

I have my amp running all 4 speakers and my sub. I used a 4 channel high/low isolating amp, and a line converter. the High in's will usually always lead to a ground loop sound. I mounted the amp in the trunk, used the lines from the rear speakers and ran them through the interior panels in the trunk and under the plywood I set in the trunk to my amp. I then pulled up all the plastic running boards in the car, and ran the front lines. the front speakers are really easy to get to to hook up.

Just keep in mind, that if you do it like I did (with only right/left channels) You will no longer hear warning chimes as they come from the front driver speaker.

Edited by bensemailis

Find a power source that has 12v when key is In the on position. Either fuse panel (not what I would use typically) or ignition harness. Make sure to fuse it as close to the power source too (just as the main power cable for the amp is).

Edited by icepick

It's not really that hard. Only extra step is hooking up the line converter. Other than that, not much different from installing a sub to an aftermarket radio. Still need main power, switched power and ground wire just the same.

Edit: on my smart phone which isn't to smart. Responded with this in a reply to your pm (in vase you don't get the response.

If your amp has RCA inputs, and not a high level input wire, you need a Line converter to turn normal speaker wire to RCA output. That gets wired to the speakers wires in the car. In the spark, really easy to do where the speakers are in plain sight. For the main power wire, well that's obvious, to the battery terminal. The remote line you will need to find a power source that only reads 12volts when the car ignition is in the on or run position. Some people find an empty slot in the fuse panel. Myself, I never tap into a panel, but instead go to the actual ignition wires under the dash. I add a fuse at that end as to prevent a fire in the case of a short circuit.

Edited by icepick

How would you go about hooking up the remote wire? and yes its for subs.

my remote wire is connected to the positive end of the power point under the dash. I also have a switch to turn off the amp should i ever feel the need to. but as soon as you open the door, the power point is killed, and so is the amp. so it works out pretty well.

• 7 months later...

So the install was a complete success, not hard at all. I installed using the high level inputs without a line converter, ended up tapping the remote wire into the 12 volt charger. works perfect and sounds great! thanks for all the help!

What do you mean "12 volt charger?" Seems every fuze I tap into my amp stays on! Cant find a source that turns off with the key off. OHHH I get it. The 12 volt accessory charger. Did you tap into the fuse for it or splice the wire? When I tapped into that fuse my amp stays on. Very frustrating.