This may be a really dumb question and is probably wonderfully answered in the manual but I'm going to ask it here anyway! :)

We folded down the rear seats yesterday for the first time and noticed that the headrests kept the seats from folding completely flat. We pushed them all the way down to no avail. I'm betting there is a way to remove them completely (you could in my past GM car) but we couldn't figure it out for the life of us. What are we missing?

Edited by HappyMommy

I have also taken the rear seat bottom cushions out and the seat will lay totally flat. This only works if you are leaving to go get something and you do it before as there is no room to store the seats.

How do you remove these? Is it quick and easy, or a pain?

Not going to lie, kind of crappy to produce and sell a car where in order to use the folding seats to its fullest, you have to either remove the base seat cushions or pull them off the hinges. It's almost a why bother making the car like that...

Not going to lie, kind of crappy to produce and sell a car where in order to use the folding seats to its fullest, you have to either remove the base seat cushions or pull them off the hinges. It's almost a why bother making the car like that...

Well, honestly that doesn't seem to be something totally off for GM cars. My Saturn Ion was the same way.

Thank you everyone for your help! Icepick is the hubby so he went out and figured it out after you guys posted! :)

You are not suppose to remove anything. They don't advertise saying fold flat seats. If you look at any photos you will see that the seats array an uphill angle.

Just if you want to maximize the area you can remove things.

Yep you're right, even looking at the "brochure" (pdf) for the Spark the pictures don't show it going flat but just removing the headrests indeed does make it happen (or pretty dang close)! :)

Hey, I mean I can't complain too much with it going flat, I was able to fold them down, put down pillows and went to the drive ins with two other people. Wasnt the roomiest but we made it work with little problem. The first movie we even kept the rear door closed cause we had the ac on.

I have also taken the rear seat bottom cushions out and the seat will lay totally flat. This only works if you are leaving to go get something and you do it before as there is no room to store the seats.

I've never messed with the rear seat, by taking out the seat bottom, will it lay flat with the headrest still attached? Or do they still have to come off.

Headrest removed it will lay flatter than on. Seat bottom removed, same as above. Both removed, no different than either option. If I need to gain that extra inch or so, I'm gonna opt for seat bottom removal, and just let it lie against the front seat.

• 1 month later...

I put the rear head rests on the ground under the front seats. Metal Part on the ground pointing to the front of the car. The seat bottoms still fold fine with no need to remove them and you get the flat storage space you want. Helps when you want to still have the head rests in the car and still have trunk space.

I put the rear head rests on the ground under the front seats. Metal Part on the ground pointing to the front of the car. The seat bottoms still fold fine with no need to remove them and you get the flat storage space you want. Helps when you want to still have the head rests in the car and still have trunk space.

I have no leg room to drive when I do that.

The only thing you're supposed to remove in the process of folding the seats is the head rests. The seat cushions fold forward for the back to lay as flat as possible.

The rear seat cushions won't fold with the front seats all the way back. For someone with long legs to fold the rear seats, the cushions must be removed to drive. :shift:

I have to drive my spark with my legs on the sides of the steering wheel. With seat all the way back. They don't fit under the steering wheel.

The rear seat cushions won't fold with the front seats all the way back. For someone with long legs to fold the rear seats, the cushions must be removed to drive. :shift:

• 3 weeks later...

Taking the seat bottoms out worked for me. I can drive with the seats all the way back now.

But it is a lot of work to do and store the seat bottoms and head rest when I go shopping.

my spark with the rear seats folded down with seat bottom removed

http://instagram.com/p/fnXi-wEjpR/

also the spark gets louder with the back seats down

Edited by Jeffrey Makela
  • 3 weeks later...

Flip the bottom seat cushion up so it lays perpendicular to the front seat (in otherwords, the back of the seat cushion is pointing up towards the ceiling, and the front of the bottom cushion pointing straight down to the floor). then the back seat will lay flat as long as you take out the headrest.

Flip the bottom seat cushion up so it lays perpendicular to the front seat (in otherwords, the back of the seat cushion is pointing up towards the ceiling, and the front of the bottom cushion pointing straight down to the floor). then the back seat will lay flat as long as you take out the headrest.

Theres no leg room when I do that. Im 6'5"