• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK after driving around with the 90 on the air box to pull in cooler air from under the car I can say it definitely helps. Its worth the little effort it take to remove the tube between the air box an

I'm 99% sure I'm going to eliminate the resonator box and route hoses to both dummy fog light holes. Cut out the fog light holes and have a dual feed "ram air". Kills two birds with one stone. I ha

If you make the extra effort to go under the fender guard to remove the resonator box, the tube can be left in place to draw cooler air from underneath by the wheel well. Same effect as a cold air i

Posted Images

Muscle cars used cowl induction as a side benifit of shit aero. The hood and windsheild profile of these cars and other modern ones are very sleek and there is a much less high pressure build up at the base of the windshield.

I think your benifiting more from charge temp then pressure.

Id like to put a scoop in the dummy foglight to feed the box to try out on ours

I did consider doing the foglight to air box modification. I still may try that.

Greg, I'm not going to risk one of my cameras out on the hood of the car. Revving it up in the driveway wouldn't be the same effect as driving down the road.

It doesn't really matter to me at all if the mpg gain is because of pressure or temp. I'm just thrilled to increase the mpg for free, with stuff I already had laying around.

Edited by Chris Bemis

I've driven MANY times in the rain and have never got water in the box. Believe it or not, there's not enough "suck" or vacuum if you will to suck water into the box. I had.a buddy rev it up slowly go 4k with each of my hands on the two snorkels, and was actually surprised by the weak "vacuum"....

And even if water did enter.the box, I think the filter sits too high for the water to go through it. You'd need a lot more "intake vacuum/suck action" to.actually get water to go through the filter.....

Exactly, tommyspark. I think even if I ran a garden hose down the cowl induction, that water would just pool and drain in the bottom of the air box. No way it's getting sucked up through the filter and into the engine.

You should see the radical ram air I built on another car and have never had a problem with water.

After Chris determined that the Spark does not like hot/warm air, I got to thinking. As I drive around, according to Torque, my intake temps, while moving, are 4 degrees higher than the outside air. So I wanted to see if I could get them closer to the outside temp number. Also while sitting at a light or in city stop n go traffic, IAT numbers rise pretty quickly. Hopefully this will slow it up a little bit

I used the stock "snorkel" and extended my snorkel about 4 inches further down into the fender well. And wrapped both snorkels with Holley heat reflecting tape..... haven't driven around yet, but I will post numbers when I see if it helped or not......

Edited by tommyspark

This is Chris. I decided I didn't want to have my facebook and name out there for the public google search any more.

tommyspark, I'll bet that insulating the hoses sure can't hurt. Although, I will say that when I tried the warm air mod, the pipe barely even got warm to the touch and I think that black vinyl wrap on the factory snorkel is an insulator too.

Also, regarding the above discussion, the gas pumps at my local Kroger, where I get gas doesn't say anything about E10. I think Kroger gas is just rebranded Shell. I'm in the Detroit area, so the gas will be switching to winter blend soon, if it hasn't already.

Here is the final version of my cold air / cowl induction set up.

All it is, is the neck of a bottle of weed killer, an old radiator hose, a 45 degree PVC fitting and the stock snorkel piece. I popped off the restrictor plate on the stock snorkel neck and wrapped electrical tape around it until it fit snugly in the hole. I assembled the rest and cut the factory rubber molding so that the funnel could lay flat and also, so I could put it back to stock in under 1 minute.

I did drill one hole in the cowl plastic, and install a locking style nylon push pin to keep the funnel in place.

It's tough to say with the changing weather, and likely the changing fuel blend, but I think I'm getting an extra 1-2 mpg out of the modification.

PA226609.jpg

PA226610.jpg

PA226611.jpg

PA226613.jpg

PA226612.jpg

Just got home from school. It's about an 18 mile drive, with only about 7 miles of it being highway. According to Torque, while cruising 40 MPH and higher, the IAT read 1-2 degrees higher than the outside air. It used to tell me 4 degrees higher regularly. In the city it never got over 7 degrees higher than the outside air. But while city driving, I noticed a day and night difference in how fast the IAT drops after you start going from light to light. It's almost immidiate. Before this "mod", it would take a minute or so for the numbers to drop. (outside temp on the way to school was 67; and 64 on the way home) When I get the time to, I'm probably going to wrap the intake tube and see if this helps even more. I'm curious to see what would happen if we removed the "ram air" snorkel, but with my fender snorkel down as far as it is now, I don't want to run the risk of sucking in water through that snorkel. With both of them and the intake pressure being split, there just isn't enough "sucking vacuum" to have to worry about it

I can't comment on power gains from this modl. Despite the exhaust work and intake mods, I don't drive er like that. I like my 39.1 at the pump ;) I do try to drive er WOT once a week for blow out reasons. I'll see if there is any kind of power gain then.......

Keep us posted on the cowl mod. It's too soon to safely say I"m getting more MPGs now, but I reset the gauge before leaving. I'd say it's 60 %city and 40% highway to school. I pulled into the driveway with the gauge saying 40.1 MPG AVG. It was a warmer day today though so time will tell....