• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK after driving around with the 90 on the air box to pull in cooler air from under the car I can say it definitely helps. Its worth the little effort it take to remove the tube between the air box an

I'm 99% sure I'm going to eliminate the resonator box and route hoses to both dummy fog light holes. Cut out the fog light holes and have a dual feed "ram air". Kills two birds with one stone. I ha

If you make the extra effort to go under the fender guard to remove the resonator box, the tube can be left in place to draw cooler air from underneath by the wheel well. Same effect as a cold air i

Posted Images

Does anyone know of a metal heat exchanger that I can attach to the exhaust manifold to provide warm intake air? I'm thinking something like a big tube with fins on the inside. This would let me replace the stock flexible hose and get the warm air that helps with fuel mileage in the winter. I didn't even think about this all summer, and now the cold months are coming. Don't want to sidetrack the thread too much, but it is definitely an intake mod.

That's how I did a Rover while stationed in England. Took off the heat shield and just ran the airbox without a snorkel attached. Gained about 3MPG highway. I must say the car sure did slow down a LOT after that mod though. Lost a lot of power.. but hey, it worked for gas mileage!

Edited by tommyspark
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm 99% sure I'm going to eliminate the resonator box and route hoses to both dummy fog light holes. Cut out the fog light holes and have a dual feed "ram air". Kills two birds with one stone. I hate the dummy fog lights and also could probably free up a little mpg and maybe even some power. I have no hope for actual "ram air" effect, but it will be cold, pressurized air getting to the filter. The driver side will be a pretty direct path, but the passenger side will be pretty curvy and likely, pretty small. But, I am a guy that needs symmetry and I'm not going to have an open fog light hole on the drivers side and a dummy hole on the passenger side.

We just did this on my father's LS. Removed the resonator. Why are you guys even bothering making a tube/etc? Just plug that hole. With it open, the car is MUCH louder outside when you launch from a standing start.. kinda cool.

So are you only running the "ram" snorkel?

@ chris. It will definitely. Especially when it gets really cold.....

Guys, do a little research on the resonator. Apparently, they are NOT just for noise. That is just a side effect. They are actually for air harmonics that contribute to efficiency. If you want to increase power (on a car with 85 hp, really?) or noise, I guess remove it, but I'm keeping mine on.

http://www.ehow.com/info_12156112_air-intake-resonator-do.html

I bought this car 100% for the mileage.