Well? Whaddya think?

Well, the first thing I noticed is if you don't have the stereo on, and listen for it, the engine has a nice sounding little "purr" to it now around the 4000 RPM mark. I wouldn't go as far as to say that I feel more power behind the pedal now, but acceleration is definitely smoother. Filling her back up again today, so we'll see if there was any real world gas mileage gain. It's a free mod, that takes no longer than 30 minutes to do. Definitely worth doing!

On a side note, I managed to find some info from Injen, and according to them, their short ram intake only gained 5HP and 4 lbs TQ. Can't find any info on the CAI though.......

Pretty hefty price for those small gains.....

http://www.carid.com/2013-chevy-spark-air-intakes/injen-air-intake-1455384.html?"cagpspn=pla"&gclid=CLPGqojm2bgCFcFj7AodHDgA6Q

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK after driving around with the 90 on the air box to pull in cooler air from under the car I can say it definitely helps. Its worth the little effort it take to remove the tube between the air box an

I'm 99% sure I'm going to eliminate the resonator box and route hoses to both dummy fog light holes. Cut out the fog light holes and have a dual feed "ram air". Kills two birds with one stone. I ha

If you make the extra effort to go under the fender guard to remove the resonator box, the tube can be left in place to draw cooler air from underneath by the wheel well. Same effect as a cold air i

Posted Images

In just about every aspect, automobiles can be compared to the human body. This is what I told my dad who is an old, modification hater......

Look at it like this. Right now, she only breathes out of one port. Removing the box allows her to breath from two ports. So it's like if you ran 5 miles, only able to breath out of one nostril. You'd run a lot better if you could breath out of both nostrils......

Gas mileage was 1 MPG better. Too many variables (less city driving, outside temp etc) to safely say that I gained one MPG. Did some interstate driving today, and had the cruise control set at 62 MPH. I really noticed better throttle response. Especially when using the accelerate button on the cruise control. Before the mod, it was very slow to react, and very sluggish to accelerate. Seems like it took the "lag time" out when using cruise control ......

I had some 2" PVC piping and rubber couplings left over after snorkeling my 4 wheeler. So I figured, hey, that's perfect material to make a real snorkel for the Spark! So I removed the stock snorkel and used the PVC and rubber couplings instead. Now it's a slightly larger diameter than stock, and it's about 3" further into the fender well, further away from the engine bay and hot engine. I didn't notice, but my woman said it's way louder now. I told her it might be a LITTLE louder, but honestly, I didn't notice any extra intake noise. I'll report in a few days if I notice any improvement at all over running the stock snorkel at all.

If someone could tell me how to post pix on here, I'd be glad to post some in case my wording has confused anyone as to what the heck I'm talking about...... Whenever I try to attach pix, it says they're too large. Even if I resize them?!

Did some driving around town today. It's definitely NOT louder. IDK what she was talking about?! I won't go as far as to say that the car is moving any quicker than before, but it does feel like it's pulling harder if that makes sense?! Even with the AC on and it being a feels like of 105 here today. I didn't do any driving with the AC off due to it being BLAZING hot today so I can't report on any improvements without AC running. But I'd say it was definitely worth the 10 bucks or so it cost for the PVC and rubber couplings. Doing some interstate driving tomorrow. Well see if I can feel any improvements.

Definite improvement on the interstate this morning. It was around 80 degrees, and I didn't have the AC on. Around 60 mph there is a very noticeable improvement in both throttle response as well as acceleration. Definitely didn't knock the 60-100 time down to 3 seconds or anything, but I did feel a noticeable difference behind the pedal now though. Once again, for around $10, definitely worth the snorkel replacement.....

On a side note, I was at Auto Zone earlier, and just out of curiousity I asked what air filters they had for the 2013 Spark. The ONLY one they had was the K&N..... Still hoping AEM or someone makes a dry flow filter for this car some day soon!

You should try the larger snorkel!

I did some experimenting with taping the air filter to the top and leaving the entire air box open.

What I found was a little more power at higher rpm's, but a little weaker just off idle and in the lower rev range (still better than stock). In theory the extra air should make it better all around, but I'm guessing the ECU just couldn't adjust properly at lower engine speeds? It could probably be improved with some custom fuel mapping, but that's an adventure in itself. I don't want to lose any of the lower rpm gains that I already have, so I'm gonna stick with just the resonator tube mod for now.

With both snorkels, you'd be surprised by the lack of "vacuum". I had my neighbor slowly rev it up to about 4500 rpms as I had one hand on each snorkel. Hardly any "suction" at all. This is what got me to thinking "I wonder how it would run with just one snorkel"?

I know engines don't actually "suck in air" at all, but that's a whole different conversation in itself. Hence why forced induction makes such vast power gains......

Edited by tommyspark

So I had some free time this weekend and decited to give this resonator delete thing a try. I found that if you take off the wheel, and remove the back half of the wheel liner you can then bend the front half down enough to get to the resonator and do not have to deal with the pop rivets. Takes a few more minutes but you retain the factory rivets. I got a little more sound out of the engine which is nice and a little more seat of the pants feel, but the biggest difference is now the car doesnt bog down at lower RPM's with the AC on. Spent about 20 mintes doing it and it was well worth it! I would highly recomend everyone doing this that runs there AC alot and sits in traffic. I will eventually get a cold air intake, but this is nice for now! Good looking out on this delete!!!

Don't know if it's related but it seemed to only start after the resonator was removed. Twice now it has rev'd up (slightly) after startup. This is after the initial higher rev cycle (and the car returned to idle) when you first start the car.