Onstar and DRL disable how-to

People are so whiny. Who cares about the day lights. It's not hard to turn your lights on. There are so many lights that are prevalent at night that should be obvious. The headlight icon for one, but the center console light, the illumination on the gear box... If you're so worried about it, buy a more expensive car that does every thing but wipe the snot off your nose. Until then, don't pick on a 13 or $14k car for all the things it doesn't have.

People are so whiny. Who cares about the day lights. It's not hard to turn your lights on. There are so many lights that are prevalent at night that should be obvious. The headlight icon for one, but the center console light, the illumination on the gear box... If you're so worried about it, buy a more expensive car that does every thing but wipe the snot off your nose. Until then, don't pick on a 13 or $14k car for all the things it doesn't have.

Wow, that's kind of rude, I'm a little offended.

I've been driving auto light cars continually since the early '90's, and it is extremely hard to get used to putting the lights on, not due to laziness, just due to habit. I have seen some aftermarket kits on Amazon, but without a wiring diagram, it looks like it could be quite a drawn out install, tracing wires with a VOM. As loaded as this car is, I am still contemplating a rearview camera, and a few other gadgets, including a temp gauge. Recently, I tore my left rotator cuff, and that has slowed me down quite a bit. Pain will do that, but eventually it will get done. :)

SMH

Is anyone friendly with a dealer tech who will poke around in the computer?

Me! Well, sort of. I have automotive electrical class on Tuesday nights. Next time we do a lab, I'll ask the instructor if I can pull the spark in and "poke around" and see if there's a way. Like many of you have said; I didn't see a DRL fuse either...... First car w DRL I've ever seen without a fuse and I looked under the hood and in the drivers side fuse boxes. DRLs are mandated by our govt so I'm betting they said remove the fuse so it's not easy to disable them.....

It is probably fused through the normal headlight circuit, but DRL runs through big ugly resistor to ground. I'm sure ground is connected through some kind of ecu command. What I really want to know, is if we can connect a third party DRL and have it function through the stock control.

• 5 months later...

There's a trick that works on other GM vehicles for recalibrating tpms system without a $75 tool. I have not tried it on this car yet, but I'm sure it might work. You can Google it and read the how to on other GM forums. You have to fill the tires 6psi over, then set tpms to calibrate, starting with the driver side let out about 5lbs of.air til the horn beeps twice, working your way around the car. The parking light should also flash twice on the corner you need to let the air out. Also, very annoying since the horn will be beeping while doing this. As far as onstar, I will also disconnect mine once the trial is over, they still collect data even after the subscription is over, remember signing a privacy disclosure upon purchase?

The trick sorta still works, its just to get into learn mode you set the parking break and its in the menu on the display. Other then that the programming is the same.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Guys who did the parking brake thing, do you know where this wire is routed to. Being a 2nd owner, I got this thing free. The wire from e brake is no there and somewhere it is grounded to disable the brake system warning light.

+ If someone can tell me where the BCM / ECU is located?

Update - in my last service visit, I have asked the service representative for same. He fixed it. Later when I opened the e brake boot, it was fixed very crudely. The old wire was extended till the ebrake and it was twisted to the old lug. The poor GM service people can't afford a 2₹ (1¢) lug.:banghead: I bought one and did crimp with a nose pliers.

Edited by ChevyBeat
update