I thinking of buying a spark

My 1999 Malibu is getting old so im thinking of getting a spark. should I buy a 2014 spark or a 2013 spark. auto or manual transmission?

What problems do sparks have? also I only drive a about 5 miles a day in my small town. so a tank of gas last me over a month.

but the guys at work say women wont like the spark.

thanks

A lot of women like the Spark because they think it is cute. It's also very narrow so you are sitting nice and close on a date.

And tell the people at work they are jerks and that's why they are still single.

Don't buy a Spark if you need the A/C to work until GM fixes it.

The spark is pretty universal stock, but girls and gays like it because it's small and cute, but it may be those things, but it's also a lot more. I love that I can park practically anywhere. I can fit into places that a VW Beetle cannot. It's also really fuel efficiant. I, too, had a malibu. I had a 2000 with 122k on it. I liked it, but i drive 40 miles round trip to work 5 days a week, and was putting in 35$ every other day to stay ust above half. If you want a fuel efficient car that fits everywhere, carries 4 average sized people comfortably, is good looking, stock or modified, and priced well for all you get, take it before its gone. Apparently, no chevrolet dealer keeps many on stock, so you'll probably be dealer hopping, or waiting at home because they had to order it. I had to do that because Denim is possibly the hardest color to find... Which is why I like it, I like having rare things lol

What is wrong with ac on it? The ac does not work on my chevy Malibu and its gets hot here in st. Louis. should I get the 2014 spark? also I have never seen a spark on the road.

How is the manual transmission? I haven't used a manual in about 14 years

A lot of women like the Spark because they think it is cute. It's also very narrow so you are sitting nice and close on a date. And tell the people at work they are jerks and that's why they are still single. Don't buy a Spark if you need the A/C to work until GM fixes it.

The Chevy Spark is an AWESOME car. I just bought mine last Saturday (7/6). I learned how to properly drive a manual on it and it's a blast. This car really has no downfalls, other than a weak AC system. Mine works, but only when you're moving. It's not jittery or unstable on the highway. Anyone who says it is is making stuff up.

Edited by Trancer07

The air conditioning problem kind of worries me. Will it be fixed soon? should I get the sonic instead?

No one really knows the status of an AC fix. If you can afford a Sonic, I guess it wouldn't hurt to check it out! It's just that the value of the Spark is hard to beat. A base model Sonic with manual windows, locks etc. is around the same price as a TOTL Spark with keyless entry and power windows and that cool touch screen stereo system.

Edited by Trancer07

I have followed the Sonic forums since day 1 , they have had many problems , including blown transmissions both auto and manual . On early models the factory forgot to install brake pads . Plenty of other issues too . The Spark so far might be the most reliable small car Chevy makes . Keep in mind there's more than 30k sparks on the road and only a handful of people complaining of AC issues . Some of these may be attributed to early builds with faulty parts . This same phenomenon occurs on every car forum I'm on regardless of brand . Keep in mind just because a few had problems doesn't mean you will or every car built is plagued by the same problem . I buy a lot of cars of various brands and never had any of the problems I read about on the forums , People who have issues will be the most vocal and it can look like a widespread problem with multiple threads dedicated to it , some of which are then linked to other forums increasing the visibility of the problem .

I suggest driving it on a hot day and judge for yourself if the a/c will be a issue. I live in hot, humid central tx and found it works well enough for me, but I'm sure others may find it weak. It seems the hotter it is, the air actually blows colder. Maybe I got lucky and got one with a good a/c, it's under 3/36 warranty anyway. Consider a light color, the interior absorbs tons of heat due to all the glass." Get the manual transmission if your happy driving those. I love mine, and the only issue I had in 8k miles was defective tires.

Edited by austex04

The weak AC doesn't really bother me all that much. I believe there isn't much that can be done about it. The car has such a tiny engine that there's really not much power to drive the AC unless you're flying down the road at more than 50 MPH.

Edited by Trancer07

I love mine even with the AC. But there is a problem with the AC some worse than others but all have the issue. I'm sticking to my theory. Just some people can feel it more than others but its there. For Chevy to issue a fix last year and now a new fix us engineers still working on another. That says something is screwed up, period.

Can I live with it? Yes, is it right, hell no! I'm going to say this over and over cause GM reads these and they need to fix, recall, buy back, or issue compensation.

I been looking at other small cars like the kia reo 5 door, scion xd and ford fiesta and there all very expensive. I can afford then and even buy them with cash. But in this economy I don't want to spend a lot and I only drive about 2000 miles a year.

Edited by Jeffrey Makela

I don't have a Spark & don't doubt there is a problem with some but could others be expecting too much - what is GM trying, different pulley sizes - the amount of Freon ?

Expecting too much? If you are breathing with a pulse you know it's not right. The problem is most people so far have purchased their Sparks during the winter months. Now summer rolls around and problems. There are members here that said their AC was fine months ago and now it's hot they feel the problem. Some might be real bad and some are minor. But I'm still sticking with all Sparks in the USA market have the issue to some degree. Like others said it depends on how sensitive you are to it. My residents Lemonade LT2 has the problem too. I asked her about it and she said yes. But she told me she would have thought it was correct because of how small and it being brand new. So how can it be a problem. We area small group of people on the Internet that complain. So how many that don't even search have the problem? They go to the dealer and the dealer throws parts at it without even knowing that GM is working on it. This is just like the radio update. Dealers had no clue unless you brought the printout to them. Even after that they still had no clue.

Here is one from last month, June:

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=1951

Here is another last year, September:

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=1036

Edited by bluer101

I brought the printout with me, someone definitely read it, and I think the person at GM called and made them drop other jobs to look at my car. They were changing the oil at about 5:00 on a Friday night, that tells me they were being pushed because everything else was put to bed for the weekend.

I still have little faith in them providing a real fix that lasts, I expect at least two compressors before they say it is operating the way it is supposed to operate, and since we have nothing to compare it to, they must be right. Yup, expecting a screw job.

When I picked up ours after the new compressor they told me that they had a brand new spark on the lot that they could compare mine with to show me that it was fixed.. I told them to not waste my time or theirs. I kindly told them that I would be waiting on the fix form the GM engineers.

The '14 Spark is supposed to have auto on headlights, and a much doubted cvt transmission of unknown quality, the auto on headlights are a big plus to me, too late now. I would buy a manual regardless if the cvt turns out to be a big hit or not, but if your unsure if you would like a manual, I don't suggest it if you plan on keeping it long or have knee trouble. So if you want a automatic, the question is jump now or take a chance on the cvt. I thought about the Fiesta, but the front seats felt cramped, and they're too popular around here, I could get a base model for a grand more with power nothing, or this one. The Kia Soul was also up there, base model for the price of the LT2 manual, but it's a small gas hog compared to the Spark. The Fiesta has a slight edge in hwy mpgs, the Spark has the mpg edge in city with the manual.

Edited by austex04

the dealer by me has a spark for 11,643. I wish I wasn't worried about the air conditioning problem or I might go buy it.

Test it yourself but also look for a late build date ( its on the inside of the door ) I purposely had the dealer get me a late model build even though it was in another state . My AC works perfectly and it's near 100 degrees here . All my buttons on the wheel and dash light up wonderfully , all my apps , Siri , all work perfect . The car drives perfectly straight , no rattles . Search for how many people are having this issue and your going to be surprised how very few there are . There are not 35000 US Spark owners running to Chevy with faulty AC . The AC on my Spark is light years ahead of my smart car . Go on that forum and search for weak or non existent AC or the Honda Fit forum for that matter . I have a bunch of new cars here to compare the spark to , and its AC is working correctly , at least mine is and the one I did the test drive on . I don't doubt people are having problems but thinking your car will because someone else does us a bit ridiculous . If you look at like that , then you will never buy a new car because there's always some that have problems . The Internet brings out the worst fears usually unfounded in the long run . All the problems Sonic owners have reported wouldn't dissuade me from buying one in the least because the reality is they are isolated issues .

http://www.jimbutlerchevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/new-2013-Chevrolet-Spark-Hatch_LS_%28Manual%29-Fenton-MO/2037829753