• 1 month later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

15x7 +35 205 50 15

My Spark from Dallas, Texas   195/45-15 TOYO PROXES T1R 78V Ultra High Performance Wheels: GTR Sport 15x6.5  4x100/114.3 Offset: +35mm  

Widget BSA Matrix 17" x 7" +38 offset 205/45/17

Posted Images

Looks really good. A stiffer sidewall for sure gives these cars better cornering.

I decided to save the $ on wheels. (Wife did... I mean). Instead I bought Yokohama S Drives in the OEM size.

They actually are wider than stock due to a squarer sidewall.

Car looks decent and now turns like a legit go kart.

20160508_185349_1.jpg

20160508_185333_1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wheels are from a Kia Rio

17"x6.5", ET 43mm

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 205/40R17

(Tried 205/45R17, but they rubbed the strut spring perch up front).

Had to have the center hubs bored out 2.4mm (54.1mm (Kia) to 56.5mm (Chevrolet))...so now they're hub-centric :2thumbs:

Pic taken just after install of wheels/tires.  Thanks to the crew from Gran Turismo East in Atlanta for the fabulous work; Kieran, Chris et al are true professionals.

2016-07-12 10.47.26.jpg

Test fitting wheel after hub boring:

2016-05-08 16.42.22 HDR-2.jpg

Just prior to my leaving the shop, this gorgeous thing rolled up.  Glorious.

2016-07-12 10.58.05.jpg

Edited by sTeeve
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/9/2016 at 8:49 PM, psquare75 said:

I decided to save the $ on wheels. (Wife did... I mean). Instead I bought Yokohama S Drives in the OEM size.

They actually are wider than stock due to a squarer sidewall.

Car looks decent and now turns like a legit go kart.

20160508_185349_1.jpg

20160508_185333_1.jpg

Some of these huge rims are HEAVY. Unsprung mass and rolling diameter make or brake this car's ride quality, acceleration, and handling. 

What's the stock wheel weight? I am looking for either a set of OEMs (currently on steel) to wrap with S drives like you, or if the weight saving over OEM is significant I will drop a little more coin on some Konig Helium 15x6.5s and wrap them in 195/50s in the 300TW area. 

26 minutes ago, GammaRadiation said:

Some of these huge rims are HEAVY. Unsprung mass and rolling diameter make or brake this car's ride quality, acceleration, and handling. 

What's the stock wheel weight? I am looking for either a set of OEMs (currently on steel) to wrap with S drives like you, or if the weight saving over OEM is significant I will drop a little more coin on some Konig Helium 15x6.5s and wrap them in 195/50s in the 300TW area. 

Not sure.. BUT, roads are terrible around here.

Two OEM tires had bubbles due to constant construction and road bumps. That was some of the reason I stayed with OEM wheels. I don't feel like bending a wheel.. plus they are cheap enough and easy enough to obtain if the wife does. 

. The car is a go-kart with these tires, and I'm quite content. 

38 minutes ago, GammaRadiation said:

The stock wheel weight is ~17.5lbs, that's why I went with the 9.5lbs RPF1 and 195/50 BFG Comp-2.

On 8/13/2016 at 5:17 PM, GammaRadiation said:

Thanks guys. 6lb per corner is definitely worth $450 to me. The heliums are flow formed so they are strong. RPFs are great rims too. It will be a while before I upgrade but I cant wait to surprise some people at the autoX. On stock rubber I still ran mid pack.

Just put Konig Heliums on my Spark over the weekend, definitely worth it.

WP_20150122_002.jpg

6 hours ago, ANewSpark said:

Just an FYI, to see more options from like Tire Rack search wheels for a 1990 Honda Civic 

Good tip.

I am familiar with the heliums because my other car is an NA miata. They are some of the lightest low budget 15's and 6.5" is all you need for a spark. The spark is her DD (I drive when we are together and plan to autocross it regularly) so if she doesn't like them I would gladly put them on my car. It's a shame the center bore isn't smaller, I have an extra set of NA alloy 14's that weigh 11-12lb and I read 14's can fit the brakes. 

35 minutes ago, GammaRadiation said:

Good tip.

I am familiar with the heliums because my other car is an NA miata. They are some of the lightest low budget 15's and 6.5" is all you need for a spark. The spark is her DD (I drive when we are together and plan to autocross it regularly) so if she doesn't like them I would gladly put them on my car. It's a shame the center bore isn't smaller, I have an extra set of NA alloy 14's that weigh 11-12lb and I read 14's can fit the brakes. 

I would try the 14s, Outside of the USA i believe the sparks come standard with 14s. 

• 1 month later...

Yup..those wheels look classy..nice red white contrast.I like the red stripe accent on the inner loop! I would have gone with at least a 50 or 55 since the 45 may be a bit rough on the bearings as well as your butt when you hit a bump or little pothole. I have run 195/55/r15 as well as 205/50/r15..smooth and handles well...I now have just over 100Kmi on my '13..still issue free.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey I need some rim advice, I'm somewhat clueless.

I need to put my stock summer tires on some rims for my 2016 Spark. Here are some specs...

Tires:

185/55 15R

Stock rim size:

6Jx15 ET50 (4x100)

Rims I'm looking at:

6.5Lx15 ET38 (4x100)

Onto my questions...
I am going .5 of a inch wider rim; is that bad for my tire?

My offset is 12mm different, meaning my rim will stick out 12mm from the fender right? What can I expect from that sort of offset change?

Lastly, 1010tires is trying to sell me a "Wheel installation kit". Can't I just use my current lugs?

Anyways, according to 1010tire.com they will fit my Spark, but I wanted to talk to you guys first. (Hopefully you'll like the way they look too ;) )

Not sure about the other items, but the further a wheel center is away from the bearing, the more unequal stress on the bearing race. This may work ok, but with time you may need an early bearing/hub replacement

On 2/18/2017 at 11:08 AM, CarGirl95 said:

I have avid.1 av-18's, in 15x8.

I currently have the stock 185/55r15 tires on the wheels.

I was wondering if a 195/45r15 tire will fit on the car without rubbing?

Any information is appreciated.

Thank you.

Miss Violet.jpg

..Others who know more about the rest can chime in..many have done wheel mods so there's a lot of members who know more about this.

1 hour ago, _gyrate said:

My offset is 12mm different, meaning my rim will stick out 12mm from the fender right? What can I expect from that sort of offset change?

Lastly, 1010tires is trying to sell me a "Wheel installation kit". Can't I just use my current lugs?

Anyways, according to 1010tire.com they will fit my Spark, but I wanted to talk to you guys first. (Hopefully you'll like the way they look too ;) )

Not sure about the other items, but the further a wheel center is away from the bearing, the more unequal stress on the bearing race. This may work ok, but with time you may need an early bearing/hub replacement.

..Others who know more about the rest can chime in..many have done wheel mods so there's a lot of members who know more about this.