ECU issues

Go to solution Solved by bensemailis,

Had my spark in the dealership 3 different times for the ECU. it only happened on long road trips. Check engine light would come on, as well as low power, and stabilitrak. Would call onstar and get a "stabilitrac not performing correctly" and "fuel injection system not performing correctly take to dealership immediately".

Well of course that last one would scare the shit out of me and I had it towed all 3 times. every time the dealer would get ahold of it, the only code they could find was a "intake manifold error" and told me it was the DBW cruise control they had installed. They unplugged it, and when it continued to happen they tested the manifold, with no luck. On time #3 I told the service manager that if it wasnt fixed this time, I would be contacting GM about getting a Lemon replacement. This lit the fire, they called GM and had someone come take a look at it. a week later I got my car back with no paperwork, and no real "solution" other then them telling me they "flashed" my ECU. Have not had a problem since but wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

2013 Spark LS Manual.

sparkfail_zpsf6c5f45c.jpg

Edited by bensemailis

Hopefully you have the paperwork from the 3 times you brought it to the dealer for the same problem. Look up lemon laws in your state, if it does it again, go ahead and file a claim. So far mine has not had any real issues other than rattling speaker covers and defective tires. I was surprised how well this car was rated by JD Power, as well as GM as a whole.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeesh. Reading all this makes me shake in my boots. I just got my Spark. :-(

You have to remember that this is the first time the Spark is in the USA. So right now there is little info on them for USA. So you will here about everything on the Internet. Heck, we still don't have a service manual.

• 6 months later...

Oh I have plenty, AC doesnt work...Engine is eating oil and coolant....There is a heavy lifter noise....the car has lost almost all power...my mileage is dropping....

this is my first GM purchase, and I am sad to say it will probably be my last. I had no problems with my old ford focus. I got a new car fearing that at 200k miles I would be loosing a car. But instead I picked up this never ending nightmare of problems, that I am still making payments on. Upon calling GM customer care I got nowhere and my issues with my AC system are...to this day, still unsolved. and the reps just stopped calling or returning my calls.

So no, not resolved.. well this 1 issue out of a slew of others.

It sounds like it's time to climb the ladder, take the initiative, and get away from level 1 tech. Customer care can't help, use Google, find contacts, call Detroit, I did, when I had a concern, and I got action. You can't roll over and play dead with these people. Bottom line is you've got a three year bumper to bumper, in print, if there is a problem, GM has to rectify it, no if's ands or buts. In the end, you must be satisfied. You are protected by state laws, but you may have to get aggressive, whatever it takes. In the end, you will still be driving a great little car............

Hi bensemailis,

I apologize for the misunderstanding. Please feel free to reach out to us via private message. I will be glad to take a further look into your concern. Please include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership in the message. We look forward to your reply!

Kristen A.

Chevrolet Customer Care

• 4 months later...

Having the same issues. To fix it, I restart the car and it seems to go away. Leaves no code in the ECU, so dealer will do NOTHING! Car is eating 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles, dealer days this is "within spec." I get great gas mileage, but this car won't see 100K miles...