I bought a K&N filter from Ebay for around $40. The part number is 33-2492.

2wnJabl.jpg

Here's what it looks like in the car:

BDc4jRz.jpg

Here was the final step:

2zoEzb0.jpg

I haven't decided if I'll put the K&N sticker on. I also haven't driven it around, though I doubt I'll see much of a performance of mpg gain.

WEL: not to dis the K&N ... I would like to point out that IF AEM makes a DryFlo filter to buy one... I've had one strapped to every "performance" vehicle I've ever touched. the spark however will not be getting one because sadly it doesn't have a throaty intake noise (that I've heard) then again my exhaust is little to loud I think...

malibuguy chill though man. Side note. neverh ave to change filters again =D

Lil Drew you're an idiot... 5hp..... they don't make stickers like they used to.. they are only worth 2-3 depending on your tire pressure and S-tec fluid...

Edited by 70-yenko-nova

No, no Cooper S. Wifey doesn't do manuals. When I bought the Cooper in 2003, there wasn't an automatic option for the S. So, we ended up with a loaded "base". Pano-roof, chili package, sport suspension, HIDS, traction control....the works. It has been a really good car. The only car my wife has ever loved. Always sleeps in the garage.

Now that I think about it, I have had 6 cars since we bought the Cooper. I had an 83' 944, 96 Miata, 97 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T, E30 BMW 325is, '11 Prius III, and the '13 Spark.

Wifey and Coopie on Halloween. She is dressed as Red Riding Hood, LOL. (E30 in background, my nephew has this car now)

Haven't heard any results back from joshuar9476 so I will post my hands on experience from the K&N filter as I got mine yesterday. Don't know on mpg yet, but will say it has more get up and go than stock.

hell, idk. i have an automatic and do nothing but city driving. once i fill up, i need to reset my avg mpg and see what happens. i have been very unimpressed with my mpg while city driving though (23-25 range). I guess i'm too much of a leadfoot. i can't feel any real boost or getupandgo.

People got to also look at how much they weigh that drive these cars, what is in the car as cargo, what transmission you have and the enviroment you drive in. Me I'm only 140 lbs, no cargo in my car base model with manual transmission plus I run AC all time being in Texas plus it's flat here.

With proper tune it is about 2 or 3 horsepower on my motorcycle, that's on a 90 HP at the crank engine with stock exhaust, louder than sin muffler gives another 3 to 6 depending on the design, so I can't claim they are really worthless. The surface area between the car and cycle filters is pretty close to the same.

meehhh.... once again I dont see there is really almost no way it could happen. This is me personally... a filter isn't normally the "limiting" factor. It's normally a shitty housing... I've ran snorkled intakes on alot of EFI cars with dyno results not even making up for margin of error on them. So I will never believe the hype of a companies aftrmarket filter making more power and better mileage.. for personal experience reasons AND the fact that more air= need of more fuel.. and before anyone says "well it makes more power so it won't need as much throttle"... thats really ONLY on the top end of the power band.. sorry but it ain't bumpin that torque number up at all.

You are right, more air usually means worse fuel economy because you tend to drive them harder. I think it will come down to cost per year between paper filter and oil covered filter. Since I already have one on my motorcycle, I'll have the cleaner and oil sitting around so it might make sense to install one in my Spark.

I tend to keep a consistent driving regiment and don't speed so that's the reason I got results I do. If I want to get a thrill I would take my Harley out and crank it to 130 mph down the interstate.

I did some price checking... The K&N can be purchased for around $36, the stock GM filter is around $20, a Fram filter is probably a lot less but you see where I'm going, you break even after two stock GM replacements or 3 if you include the wash/oil kit.