• 3 weeks later...

Is it seriously that bad? I wish I could find a video online with someone recording the stereo system just to get an idea of how it might sound.

A video online will do nothing for you. The factory speakers are very tinny and not full. If you replace just the speakers it comes alive but still not full. That's why you need a sub, fill it all in.

• 1 year later...

I did an under $200 upgrade which improved the sound big time. I replaced the rear speakers with Kicker 40CS464's and installed a Dual SBP8A amplified subwoofer. I didn't replace the front speakers as it wasn't in my budget and they are two ways at least and sound OK. From Amazon, speakers 48.90, sub 99.99, 8 Gauge amplifier install kit 11.41. Total $160.30. It now sounds like a real car audio system. Bluer above is right. You gotta have some bass !

I did an under $200 upgrade which improved the sound big time. I replaced the rear speakers with Kicker 40CS464's and installed a Dual SBP8A amplified subwoofer. I didn't replace the front speakers as it wasn't in my budget and they are two ways at least and sound OK. From Amazon, speakers 48.90, sub 99.99, 8 Gauge amplifier install kit 11.41. Total $160.30. It now sounds like a real car audio system. Bluer above is right. You gotta have some bass !

8 gauge?! Wow, i use that for speaker cables....

Why ? LOL.....

Well, 8 gauge has never been made for powering an amp. Even though some dealers sell it in kits. If you start to calculate how few amps you can run through 8 gauge wire, you would be shocked.

In a short car as the speak, I would recommend at least 6 gauge for a moderate system - preferably 4GA. Currently building mine with 0GA power and double 0ga ground.

Well, 8 gauge has never been made for powering an amp. Even though some dealers sell it in kits. If you start to calculate how few amps you can run through 8 gauge wire, you would be shocked.

In a short car as the speak, I would recommend at least 6 gauge for a moderate system - preferably 4GA. Currently building mine with 0GA power and double 0ga ground.

The guy installed a max 160 watt 80 rms 4 ohm amp/speaker bandpass.

Even if it's really 160 watt max, at 60% efficiency, (96 watts max) he only has .182 voltage drop on an average of 15 ft of power cable at full power before clipping. He is perfectly fine with what he did and even at that it's overkill.

Edited by bluer101

yup theyre bad.. I drove for about 2 days before i had my order in for replacements.

I went Clarion instead of the kicker route.. kicker makes great subs but thats about it. cheaper and better sounding too. check sonic electronix for best pricing. easy to replace. you're not going to get deep bass out of 4" (front) or 4"x6" (back) speakers no matter how much you spend so save the money of premium speakers for a sub. I went too big and put a powered rockford fosgate in the back takes up half the trunk but you get the bass

• 1 month later...

I bought my Spark new back in 2013, with all the issues I was having I decided not to go forth with a speaker change. However now that is all settled, I have to change the speakers this spring. Everyone who sits in my car can't believe how bad they are and their comparable to a clock radio.

I was looking at the;

4" Infinity Reference Coaxial ($139.99 CDN)

4"x 6" Infinity Reference Coaxial ($139.99 CDN)

Infinity 10" Car Subwoofer (BASSLINK) ( $299.99 CDN)

Has anyone upgraded to these? Figured going to have the Spark for a long time.

I wish GM offered a sound package for the Spark to upgrade to the Pioneer system or something similar.

Edited by Riverspark
  • 2 weeks later...

well my spark is being fixed i got a rental another 2LT got in driving turned it up and amazingly the speakers didnt sound like crap.. its a rental vehicle so I'm sure theyre stock.. jammin along and decided to play with the levels .. the previous driver had the bass and mids at 0 and treble all the way up. I put everything back to 0 and they sounded like crap again.. turned the bass to 5, crap.. mids to 3, crap... treble to 5 (how i usually set any radio) still crap.. turned the treble to 10.. and beauty.. i dont know why or wtf is going on how these are wired in and all that... mine with the after market speakers have the treble at 1 mids and bass at 3 so..? i dunno but try it on yours should help till you get those other speakers in.. happy to not be miserable for 2 weeks while mine is repaired

• 6 months later...

A 15' run of 8 gauge wire at 12 vdc will handle 30 amps. My powered sub is covered.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html