A/C problem figured out!! - See last post.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No the Internet can give you a valuable tool to combat stupid dealers.

I felt the same way, but up to now, I still have no regrets, I've never had as much fun with a car, as I've been having with the Spark. Although a pain in the ass, this a/c problem will be resolved. I

Our ac generally works great. But im starting to notice everyone in a while it blows not so cold...I wanna say like coming to a stop. However there are other times at idle itll freeze us out.

Posted Images

I am having the same issue with my spark. I brought it in today and was told they could find nothing wrong with the a\c. I called GM and was told they didnt know anything about an a\c problem and that they would look into it.

Lies....

take it to another chevy dealer... and never go back to the first one...

For the ones that the compressor kicks on and off, how long does it take to notice it? Does it do it all the time? Just wondering, I had mine running yesterday in the drive for a few minutes, it never went off. But I wasn't sure of the time frames involved.

I don't here it kicking on and off. But at idle is blows slightly cool. Then while I'm driving it will blow cold for 5-10 sec then cool warm 5-10 sec. The easy way I can tell is while driving put your hand in front of the vent. You should feel the difference. It also struggles to get it cold inside the cabin.

I would not want to have no tint now. The tint was put on before summer and that makes it manageable. I still need to get my front window done in air blue 80.

I don't know if you would notice it just sitting in a driveway. Actually the compressor is not cycling on and off, while driving the car, you will feel the air from the vents changing temperature, from cold, to cool, to warm, and then back to cold, over and over, again. Yes, it does it all the time, and you'll notice it almost immediately after kicking the a/c on. If it's extremely hot out, you might not pick up on it that quick, you have to pay attention to it, but it is better to know, and get it on record, if you are experiencing it.

Sorry Blue, didn't see you there :)

Edited by WaltK

At What mileage does the ac problem start? the ac on car seems doing fine after 50 miles on the car.

then your car is either fine. Or its just not broke yet.

theres no mileage, distance, length, or time that it happens... but when it does you'll notice...

for instance if your just sitting in your car with the a/c you wont notice it until you drive your car for a bit then you feel it cool... then you hit a red light and all of a sudden you notice its not as cool as it was.

the weird thing is i noticed when my car is in reverse... the a/c works fine stalled or driving.

I don't know if you would notice it just sitting in a driveway. Actually the compressor is not cycling on and off, while driving the car, you will feel the air from the vents changing temperature, from cold, to cool, to warm, and then back to cold, over and over, again. Yes, it does it all the time, and you'll notice it almost immediately after kicking the a/c on. If it's extremely hot out, you might not pick up on it that quick, you have to pay attention to it, but it is better to know, and get it on record, if you are experiencing it.

Not problem Walt, but you described it perfectly.

then your car is either fine. Or its just not broke yet.

theres no mileage, distance, length, or time that it happens... but when it does you'll notice...

for instance if your just sitting in your car with the a/c you wont notice it until you drive your car for a bit then you feel it cool... then you hit a red light and all of a sudden you notice its not as cool as it was.

the weird thing is i noticed when my car is in reverse... the a/c works fine stalled or driving.

It's because the compressor is going back wards, JK.

Ah. I was under the impression that the compressor was actually cycling off. I've never noticed a problem in mine, I'm around 5300 miles now. My outer vents are warmer, yes. But I just keep them closed. I just figured that was typical. I've never tried it in my Kia Soul. My Monte Carlo was the same way, so the vents were closed. I think my ac does just fine. It's also instantly cold, before I leave my driveway, which surprises me. Although I haven't driven my spark in almost three weeks. I prefer the air conditioning on my bike. :D

My compressor actually cycles. I can feel it kicking on and off while driving.

My compressor is cycling on and off all the time whether I'm driving or sitting still. Something is definitley telling the compressor to turn off and back on again. It makes sense that it would be some sort of control module/sensor thing. I wonder if there's a way to bypass the AC controller and give the compressor constant power?

Edited by Trancer07

What we need is someone who's a auto a/c expert, or master mechanic, to go through one of these cars and see what causes the fluctuations. The dealers lie, GM denies, and the owners try. Bypassing the a/c clutch will cause the system to freeze up, and the pressure in the system will build until one of the hoses bursts, or the compressor will seize up.

Edited by austex04

GM was pestering the dealer today, seems someone might have failed to right down that I had an appointment on Thursday to get the compressor fixed. So right after I talked to the service guy, Grace from GM called me to ask me what was happening because the parts were in, first thing I told her was I had an appointment and they must not have written my name down.

I bet they forgot the recirc. flap problem and I get to bring it in one more time.

I almost dont have so much of a problem with the car not being right....I get it, shit happens. Especially with a new-to-market product.

But the complete incompetence by GM and the dealer network is ridiculous.

Just fucking tell us whats going on.

Despite what GM may believe, my money tree isnt producing a high yield this season. I don't like spending large amounts of money on sub-par products.

I might be spoiled from buying a couple of Infinitis and VWs in the past.

Maybe its because these cars are so inexpensive, they choose to just sweep us under the rug.

GM/Chevy is releasing some great cars (Impala top ranked by Consumer Reports, my neighbor just bought one, great car); but unless something really turns around, I'm out on GM products.

Best of luck to all of you guys, and I'm really keeping my fingers crossed. But based on the experience we've all had, the future aint looking so bright (or cool)

2013 Spark LS Automatic my A/C is very cold and I have to turn the temp up so It don't freeze me out. I have had it since 07/19 the build date is 04/13 Has this A/C problem been resolved yet? as the title reads? I have read this entire thread, good luck to all who are having problems.

When I turn the AC on or off, it makes a clicking, maybe even a clunking sound. Is this normal? Does anyone else have this going on? I'd like to find out some information on it before taking it to the stealership just to be told it's normal.... thanks in advance.

I'm still waiting for my sensor to arrive at the dealer. When the car is sitting still and the fan speed under 3, I can easily hear the clunk of the AC clutch engaging and disengaging. The compressor stays on for 20 seconds, then it shuts off for 10 seconds and cycles.

I called the dealer that I'm getting my AC "fixed" at this past morning to see if they got my temp sensor thingamajig in. They told me that the dreaded word....BACKORDERED.

They said they will call me when the part comes in. Who knows when that'll be. Baah humbug.

eBay has the "Ambient Air Temperature Sensor" for a whopping $5.00 (+$3.07 shipping).

If I knew that sensor was the fix for the A/C problems, I would buy one in a heartbeat, but I doubt very much that it is what is wrong with them.

If you (or anyone else) are interested in it, the eBay item number is: 261154452555. B)