A/C problem figured out!! - See last post.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No the Internet can give you a valuable tool to combat stupid dealers.

I felt the same way, but up to now, I still have no regrets, I've never had as much fun with a car, as I've been having with the Spark. Although a pain in the ass, this a/c problem will be resolved. I

Our ac generally works great. But im starting to notice everyone in a while it blows not so cold...I wanna say like coming to a stop. However there are other times at idle itll freeze us out.

Posted Images

Now that I have used the A/C more often, if I have it right over to the coldest it goes and on fan speed one that's plenty for me. I find even when I adjust the temperature to a lesser cold it's like it's not realizing it and still blowing at the coldest setting. On the highway I am constantly switching it on and off (I would drive with the windows open but that helicopter sound is too irritating).

Edited by Riverspark

Well guys... Took Dpei in and had her gone for a week without any word from the dealer. Got her back 3 days ago and they replaced the compressor and recreated the system. They stated they found a GM bulletin for problem solving on the invoice. Was driving today and noticed my AC goes cold to warm cold to warm on and off. Before it would not get warm at idle and cold when RPMs were up. Don't know what the issue is... What do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

I personally think that this is a widespread problem, and they are trying to avoid a major recall. I feel they are working on a fix, but it seems that it is not coming anytime soon. I've learned in my dealings with GM in the past, that the dealers are usually left in the dark, and in good faith are replacing compressors, which are quickly becoming depleted. I believe they will come out with a fix, and it may lead to a major recall. Most people on this forum are affected with this problem, and I'm sure this problem goes way beyond what we see here, how many Spark owners are not even aware of these online forums? Thousands, I am sure. This is only my opinion, as I've stated in my other posts, I will wait until something is announced, and I'm sure it will be, as this cannot be ignored. Although we are going through a major heatwave in NJ, my car is still cooling down, in spite of the cold/cool problem. I can really sympathize with you people in the extremely hot climates.

The compressor on my spark was nice and cold on the test drive before buying the car this past Saturday. Come Sunday when I started to learn to drive the manual transmission, the cold air starts to drop out. I mean, it's colder than the outside air, but not as cold as it should be. I sure as hell hope that this gets resolved. I wonder if a Sonic A/C system would fit in a spark?

Edited by Trancer07

Well guys... Took Dpei in and had her gone for a week without any word from the dealer. Got her back 3 days ago and they replaced the compressor and recreated the system. They stated they found a GM bulletin for problem solving on the invoice. Was driving today and noticed my AC goes cold to warm cold to warm on and off. Before it would not get warm at idle and cold when RPMs were up. Don't know what the issue is... What do you guys think?

You still have the issue its now you can feel what everyone else is talking about. I have the warm at idle and the cold cool issue. Did you read the cold cool thread and not just this one?

Had my Spark 1LT 9 months now.....AC has been ok, reasonably cold.

Last week I drove down to Florida (About 700 miles round trip) and the AC was cutting in and out.

It then cut out completely...fantastic in 93 degree heat!!!

Today, sweating like a pig, I took it to the Chevy dealer , who immediately got me a rental car...( which they tend not to do if it's going to be a quick fix!)

Hopefully it'll be diagnosed tomorrow.... but after reading this forum, I'm not getting overexcited ....

I'll keep y'all updated!

Just an update.... After they replaced the compressor, expansion valve, and orafice tube on my car, the problem is now worse than it was in the beginning! Before it would do the cold cool dance and only cool the car to about 7 degrees below the outside temperature, and now while it is still cooling to the 7 degrees, now the fan actually slows down when I take my foot off the gas! When I step on the pedal now, I can actually hear and feel the air come out more forcefully. It was actually 90 degrees inside the car on a 95 degree day with the air on for 20 minutes. That is just not tolerable. I will be bringing the car in one more time (making it 3 times) and if it isn't fixed, I will be filing a lemon law complaint and getting rid of the car. GM just lost a very good customer, since I buy a new car every 3 to 5 years, and this will be my last GM product. I should have kept my HHR!

GM Has to issue a recall or something.. I have had the expansion valve and compressor replaced and it hasnt changed a thing. The best thing I can advise is to get in touch with corporate. The dealers cant keep replacing parts when the new parts arent solving the problem. Email Gm... I did.. They are calling me back now 2 times a week inquiring about the repair., Every time they call I say the same thing......It isnt fixed! The more calls and complaints the better chance we have getting this resolved. I contacted them online right through the chevrolet web site. Do us all a favor and do the same! PLEASE

Just an update.... After they replaced the compressor, expansion valve, and orafice tube on my car, the problem is now worse than it was in the beginning! Before it would do the cold cool dance and only cool the car to about 7 degrees below the outside temperature, and now while it is still cooling to the 7 degrees, now the fan actually slows down when I take my foot off the gas! When I step on the pedal now, I can actually hear and feel the air come out more forcefully. It was actually 90 degrees inside the car on a 95 degree day with the air on for 20 minutes. That is just not tolerable. I will be bringing the car in one more time (making it 3 times) and if it isn't fixed, I will be filing a lemon law complaint and getting rid of the car. GM just lost a very good customer, since I buy a new car every 3 to 5 years, and this will be my last GM product. I should have kept my HHR!

Im afraid this is going to be my story as well.

I was really looking forward to modding this car and making it my own, but I just cant do it knowing this is a strong possibility :(

I have already complained (numerous times), and I too get those wonderful calls where they apologize profusely but don't do anything.

The last person that called claimed to be from Chevy's customer assistance (nice Indian accent), and said that they are going to have a tech call me next week.

Since I already brought the car in twice (3 times if you count the "there's nothing wrong with it" fools), I think I'm just going to get in touch with the state attorney general's office on Monday, and see what my options are. I am so pissed off now that I want ALL my money back. They should count themselves lucky that I won't demand my trade in (or a comparable vehicle) back!

Yeah I'm not sure how that will work if it comes down to it.

I traded in a 2009 G35 Sedan that I loved, but the Spark was going to pay for itself on gas saved. So I pulled the trigger.

Now, I'm not so sure I made the right decision.

There must be a solution because not every Spark has that issue . The car I did the test ride in didnt seem to have any A/C issues . The one I bought operates perfectly and I use it everyday for a long commute . 66 - 94 degree temps and car was perfectly cool . No warm air blowing or cycling of compressor . In fact haven't seen any of the issues others are talking about . I'm going to run my A/C everyday and see if anything happens over time .

There must be a solution because not every Spark has that issue . The car I did the test ride in didnt seem to have any A/C issues . The one I bought operates perfectly and I use it everyday for a long commute . 66 - 94 degree temps and car was perfectly cool . No warm air blowing or cycling of compressor . In fact haven't seen any of the issues others are talking about . I'm going to run my A/C everyday and see if anything happens over time .

I've had mine 9 months.....and for 8.5 months it was fine......just happened in the last 2 weeks.

I've got a rental car right now from the dealership....a Chevy Cruze.....and the air's much colder than the spark ever was!

I'm hoping it'll be a quick fix......but, after reading various forums...I'm pessimistic!!

FYI, this thread is number one on Google when you search for spark ac problem. That should hopefully get their attention and hopefully get the attention of people trying to buy a Spark. It is also number four when you just use Chevy spark problem.

FYI, this thread is number one on Google when you search for spark ac problem. That should hopefully get their attention and hopefully get the attention of people trying to buy a Spark. It is also number four when you just use Chevy spark problem.

I have noticed the same thing. GM just needs to release a statement to re assure customers that a fix is coming. If not they are going to have a big problem with a lot of unhappy customers. Or there might be used Sparks or lemon law suits.

Just emailed GM through the provided link above concerning the A/C issue. Lets see what they say if the contact me back. I will be contacting my dealer again on Monday about the A/C issues that is happening again.

Gm called me today inquiring about the a/c and assured me that the GM engineers were working on a fix. They also voluntarily gave me a free service contract for 2 years and or 24k miles for my troubles. Includes oil changes tire rotations lube etc. I was pleasantly surprised!

Gm called me today inquiring about the a/c and assured me that the GM engineers were working on a fix. They also voluntarily gave me a free service contract for 2 years and or 24k miles for my troubles. Includes oil changes tire rotations lube etc. I was pleasantly surprised!

That's great news on the fix. Maybe GM can extend the free service for all effected. I'm sure they no which vin numbers are affected from bad batches. If you look at our cars all parts have QR codes on them. So they know where all parts go. Let us know what happens. No need to have parts thrown at the cars.

I also just e-mailed GM through the above link, stating that I haven't gone to the dealer, because I am not going to tie my car up, or have parts thrown at it for a non fix, since GM is aware of this issue, and is working on a fix, I stated that I want my car on record for the a/c problem, and that I want to be notified when the fix is ready, and then I will bring my car in. We'll see what happens.