A/C problem figured out!! - See last post.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No the Internet can give you a valuable tool to combat stupid dealers.

I felt the same way, but up to now, I still have no regrets, I've never had as much fun with a car, as I've been having with the Spark. Although a pain in the ass, this a/c problem will be resolved. I

Our ac generally works great. But im starting to notice everyone in a while it blows not so cold...I wanna say like coming to a stop. However there are other times at idle itll freeze us out.

Posted Images

I know this has been mentioned before, but the disappointing part is, 11/12 build, added illuminated steering wheel, now post 1/13 build, add dye to find a/c leaks. It seems like a work in progress, instead of a car that had all the kinks worked out before hitting the lots, in the U.S.

Walt,

The wheel controls like ours were added from other markets. So they messed up with the design. I'm not positive about the AC if they use the same parts around the world or it was redesigned for USA.

I might have 2 of the issues on that tech link. One is the cold cool which is somewhat warn when idle. But mine also has the high pitch noise from the compressor after shut off. So maybe its got the problem with seals it talks about.

I'm still going to wait a few. They need to fix this AC problem and my recirculate door issue.

I'm just glad someone is listing at GM. If someone is can they come post here for added support. I know over at the Sonic forum they have GM support and they help contact the dealer so they are on the same page.

I have no doubt that these forums are being monitored, and it would be nice if someone would step forward, and be a liaison. As far as the a/c problems, at least they are admitting it, and it is fixable, so 99% of the problem is solved. The worst is when they deny you have a problem. I have the same cold/cool issue, but barring any unforseen catastrophe, I am going to sit tight until the dust settles, before I take the car in.

I'm going to take mine in next month. But I will speak to the tech and manager I know before that. They already know about the AC door issue I have. I will print that link off and show them and give them the link. It gives basic instructions but I'm sure in their computer it gives everything they need to trouble shoot.

I'm going to demand my compressor be replaced just because of the high pitch noise. It makes the noise every time the AC has been ran. But before that they can do the 3 things posted for trouble shooting. 2 they have a fix and the other they are still working on.

I know this has been mentioned before, but the disappointing part is, 11/12 build, added illuminated steering wheel, now post 1/13 build, add dye to find a/c leaks. It seems like a work in progress, instead of a car that had all the kinks worked out before hitting the lots, in the U.S.

I'm kinda glad now that I'll be more than likely getting a late 2014 model build. Hopefully by then all the kinks will be out of the A/C.

^^^^^^^^

Then you will have a new set of issues, unfortunately that's how it works. If you wait there will always be issues keeping you from buying.

Well, hopefully everything that already works fine on the '13 models will keep working in the '14s.

Called the dealer the other day and they have been awesome. They rented us a 2011 HHR until until they are able to fix the Sparks A/C. My wife hates the HHR and wants the Spark back!. Had the HHR for 3 days now and the ac is great!! Courtesy Chevrolet Cadillac has been great to deal with. I checked today and the expansion valve isnt in yet.. I think it is awesome that they rented us a car until ours is fixed.. There are good dealers out there!!! She made another trip to Johns Hopkins hospital today and the HHR burned twice the gas as the Spark. I think Monday I am gonna have to turn the rental in and work something out with a few oil changes or something... My wife wants her spark back!

Edited by Classing

Classing, did you read my post above with the link? GM is aware of the AC problems and have 2 solutions right now. The 3 solution is being worked on but they don't mention one of them being the expansion valve yet. So just to let you know if you did not see it.

Printing out the bulletin is the way to go, although being the bulletin was posted on 6/5, and the dealer is still not aware of it, kind of shows that someone is asleep at the wheel. It's also taking a little too long for that valve to get to the dealer, parts such as these, should be in abundance during the summer months. It's been fifteen days since Classings first post, so I would assume it is coming from Korea. I think the customer at least deserves an explanation, as to why he is waiting so long, or that there is a resolution in the works, not just the usual song and dance.

Just picked up the Spark from getting the expansion valve done. All I can say is WOW!!! It finally cools now!! I didnt notice anymore cold cool but It was only 82 today and the true test will come when it gets very hot and humid.It seems to be fixed but I will keep everybody posted if it acts up again.

Just picked up the Spark from getting the expansion valve done. All I can say is WOW!!! It finally cools now!! I didnt notice anymore cold cool but It was only 82 today and the true test will come when it gets very hot and humid.It seems to be fixed but I will keep everybody posted if it acts up again.

I'd say 82 degrees is a decent temperature to test an air conditioner's performance. I have no doubt that the air conditioner works as designed now.

82 degrees mine doesn't blow as cold, when it's hotter it blows colder. So ice cold at 82 is good. It's been near 100, so far mine is blowing ice cubes, except at idle, where I use recirculate and then it will freeze me out. I found using recirculate most of the time gave me a extra 1-2 mpgs vs fresh air.

For the first time I tried my A/C and was very much underwhelmed, with 86 degree F temperatures even recirculate was only cool, and idle was really poor performance. No cold/cool/cold like some people. What surprised me was that at idle I didn't here the radiator fan come on, that would certainly effect how well it can cool with the car not moving. With previous cars as soon as you turn on the A/C one of the radiator fans starts spinning and never stops to make sure you are pulling air across the system. Either our cooling fan is very quiet, or I have never heard it turn on.

Greg your is exactly like mine. But the cold cool you really have to feel for. For me I take my left hand and keep it up to the drivers side vent. While cruising not idle you can feel it cycle back and forth. This is the easiest way to check. I showed my wife it too and she was really surprised. This is the first car I have owned with this issue so I'm not buying that's the way it suppose to be.

For the people that have noticed this A/C issue, what is the date of manufactoring? Is this something on all Sparks, or only the ones in early production? I notice my A/C warm up at idle, but giving it some throttle cools it back down. Is this the problem people are expirencing? Becuase I dont really feel that this is normal.