Do you have cold, cool, cold, cool, A/C?

Having had the recall done, along with the previous campaigns, BCM update, ETA sensor, cam, etc. I am still waiting for a couple of dog days for a true test. Although largely improved, regarding the cool/warm issue, don't expect miracles, you're not going to freeze in this car, although it is comfortable. I still feel it warm a bit during hard acceleration, which is not unusual, but I still feel it should be blowing colder air than what it is. I have just been playing with it during some warm spring days, we just haven't gotten really hot yet. When we get some real heat, I will be able to make a better assessment. I wouldn't rule out taking it back to the dealer, to just try to squeeze out a bit of more of a lower temperature. Not to discourage anyone, keep in mind, I am speaking of the performance of the "fix" on my car. Again, it is totally comfortable, and the recalI is an improvement, and should be performed, I have been called too picky at times. ;)

Edited by WaltK
  • Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going to start a thread to keep track of the cold/cool A/C issue that some of us are experiencing. Also we can post updates and possible fixes. Hope GM gets to see this is not an isolated problem. We

Wow what a moron

I totally understand your position, and what your responsibilities are as a moderator. I enjoy exchanging ideas with members, and don't believe I have ever tried to engage anyone in a pissing contest.

Posted Images

Just noticed, Bluer 101 started this thread on 5/20/13, we've been beating this drum for a year, yesterday! :happy feet: Party on.................

Yep, totally crazy. I heard about the A/C issue and the steering wheel lighted controls well before I bought my Spark in January of 2013. But my controls are the lit newer ones and it was cold (cool it's florida) when I bought mine. Was thinking the A/C problem might be a few, not the majority of people with a brain.

Edited by bluer101
  • 1 month later...

My 2013 Spark is going in tomorrow for the A/C recall fix. They said something about a new wiring harness. It's been hovering around 100 degrees lately and my A/C seems to be OK, especially when the car is in motion. At stops I can feel it back off the cool but it never goes warm. I'll let you all know how it goes after the repair.

This is without a doubt the most fun vehicle I have ever owned and don't let anyone tell you that it's not a freeway car. I cruise at 65 twice a day and grin while I'm watching the MPG reading. :happy feet:

My 2013 Spark is going in tomorrow for the A/C recall fix. They said something about a new wiring harness. It's been hovering around 100 degrees lately and my A/C seems to be OK, especially when the car is in motion. At stops I can feel it back off the cool but it never goes warm. I'll let you all know how it goes after the repair.

This is without a doubt the most fun vehicle I have ever owned and don't let anyone tell you that it's not a freeway car. I cruise at 65 twice a day and grin while I'm watching the MPG reading. :happy feet:

Hey Vicvector,

Happy to hear that you are continuing to enjoy your Spark. Please feel free to let me know of any updates you have after your appointment tomorrow. We appreciate any feedback that customers have! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

Only a wiring harness? interesting. I have had practically the entire A/C system replaced since I bought mine. (compressor condenser wiring)

• 2 months later...

Dealer Experience 08-29-11

Call up the dealer and ask if they have the parts needed for the recall...Was given the runaround "we need to look at the car" and "just bring it in" i inform him that i wouldn't be able to pick up the car until tueday regardless of when its fixed....

i agree and i take in the car.... Spoke to a different person this time...

first thing out of the way i told him "alright like i said before ... i cant pick up my car until tuesday" he started up the paperwork ... and i tell him "your gonna set up the rental via enterprise i assume??" he flat out told me "WE DONT DO RENTALS ON RECALLS...." While its all over the internet and news that GM is offering rentals for recalls... instead of arguing and ruinning my day i tell him "oh ..... ok well ill take my car back =)" then he asks me to wait a second and he goes away for a few seconds... comes back and says "i just got an approval from my manager"

after more discussion he tells me "so saturday is not an issue for picking up your car right ?" i then tell him "i thought i told you over the phone and a few minutes ago that i wouldn't be able to pick it up until tuesday ... you know what if its an issue ill just take my car back its fine...." he then tell me "uhhh well your already here"

so i get a call saturday to inform me my car is ready.... i call them back and he claims he called me friday and left a message which i didn't get and he asks me again if i could go in saturday before 4pm ... i tell him the best i could do was 5ish... he then tells me "see you tuesday i guess".

he then leaves me a message telling me "return the rental back to the dealer on tuesday because im going to pretty much lie and say you already returned it ..."

i dont know what that means ....

oh GM / Chevy ....

Cool at idle and freeing at highway speeds, even when the temp is in the upper 90's. Mine is a 2014. Most small cars I have owned have seemed to be this way so I am not concerned.

At idle it will not even be cool, it will be cool /warm. Then while driving its cold for about 10 sec then blows cool to warm for 15-20 sec, over and over. There is an issue as GM has released a few supposed fixes.

I have not had mine done because I know what I have now. People have reported here that theirs is still just ok or it's been fine then goes back to the same issue.

Besides the recall is still open until April of 2016. Who knows by then I might not have my Spark anymore. If that becomes the case I know it's not going to be another Chevy!

• 3 weeks later...

Same boat. 2014 ls Manual. A/c barely works (if you can call it that) at idle/ low speeds. Works better at higher engine rpms. Then it does the occasional cycling of cool and cold at freeway speeds. and mine isnt eligible for the customer satisfaction program either. oh well.

Well after bringing in my car for the pcv valve and oil change the service writer talked me into the AC recall also. So I left the car this morning. I got a call around 2 pm from the writer that my car was all done. I asked even the AC and compressor. He said it did not need the compressor and also did not need the # 4 spark plug replaced because not mil code present. I say ok and go pick my Spark up.

So sign and pay for my oil change and quickly look my car over. I saw that the wires under the hood were a little sloppy but a few wire ties at home will fix it.

So being the person I am (past autobody and mech) I got home and decided to see what this new LP switch went to. I have asked here before and have only been shown under the hood that's it.

So I remove the glovebox, remove the passenger front sill/kick plate. I see the new wire harness from the firewall grommet to a plug. Mind you the plug is just floating behind the kick panel not clipped to anything. The new harness (2 wire) from the engine bay gets inserted into this plug. Then I look from there is another 2 wire harness that was just wrapped around a main wire harness going over to the center of the dash. This wire has a pigtail with plug ends that match the evap box tell sensor. I unwrap it and this is where I get puzzled. I also see the evap sensor wire just dangling not in it's clip. So back to the new harness that puzzled me. The new harness that comes from the engine bay straight through the plug dangling and is connected together to itself. Meaning the pigtail with male and female are connected together. So unless something new was just invented but how does a 2wire connector connected to itself do anything. It's not connected to the cars harness at all.

So now I'm pissed. I drove back to the dealer and first spoke to the writer. I asked him to print the instructions to this #13434 AC recall.

After I skim over it I proceed to tell him what is wrong. He can't believe it either. So he get the shop manager. The shop manager really was no help but to get the tech. The shop manager said he and another NEW person gone for the day did the job.

So I go to my car and show him what I found. He goes, Oh my god I should have done this myself and not left him! He starts messing with it and then wants to take it out back. By this time the shop is closing and I said for now I'm leaving and have somewhere to be. I will bring it in next week. He just kept saying he messed everything up. The other thing I pointed out that just like others here the wire from the engine bay through the grommet was ran wrong. You don't just poke a hole through the rubber to run the wire. The tape is suppose to be unwrapped and the wire inserted inside the harness through the grommet. But now take the easy way out and poke my weather sealed firewall grommet.

Well now the writer is pissed because because I had a conversation about not doing the AC recall due to people's opinions on the fix here. But he talked me into it. I told him it was not his fault but the mechanics not following directions at all.

Now I have the 18 page service bulletin with directions and pictures. It can't get any simpler than reading and following the pictures. And I have to say that pretty much everyone here probably don't even have the recall done to the tee in the paperwork. Also with the wire routing in the engine bay was wrong. This is one of the reasons for the extra wire that I and others have zip tied up.

All I know now is they just did the harness and switch, but the recall talks about trouble shooting for those gear pieces, the temp sensor, BCM updates, compressor replacement too. These are all subject to manufacture date or the spark and readout from low and high side pressure ranges. So I'm sure none of this was checked either. This could be why some people still have issues with their AC after the fix. If they did not read and do the instructions to the tee they might have not replaced the right combination of parts.

Now they wanted me to leave the car there until Monday or Tuesday and get a loaner. I refused at that time because I want to take my car home and photo and document their mess up. Besides they are not open on Sundays so it would just sit anyways.

So I'm not even sure I want the same incompetent tech working on my car. This really leaves a bad taste and I think someone higher up in Chevy (not dealer) should get involved as to what Chevy techs are doing. I even told the tech what the heck is the new kid (that's what he called him) practicing on my car. He said I only left him for a little bit.

Now I don't even know if my PCV recall was done right. I was told by the service writer that another tech did that recall, but I see on my invoice the same tech number did the AC, PCV, and oil change. If someone can tell me where the PCV valve is so I can check because I don't think that was done. I know one thing my oil is clean and their was dirty oil all over the pan and surrounding area. Really nice not to wipe up the mess.

Oh also in the AC recall directions it talks about the outside temperature reading -40 below and how to correct it. I read that some people have had this happen after the service. Well it also states that if not properly done it will damage the compressor. So this means the compressor relies on what the outside ambient temp is, imagine that. This is what we always said how it acts weird depending on outside temp. Very fishy people. The tech also said I don't know what that stupid little filter/switch does anyways. We have seen it do nothing, REALLY!

This is from this morning after 25 minutes of sitting. I caught it for a few. But the service writer says I don't need a new compressor and to let him know if it continues making a noise. You can see in my video the new lp switch so I'm not BSing anyone. Oh and you can see the wire is routed wrong. What happens when the belt breaks, bye, bye switch and wire harness. It even shows the proper wire routing in the instruction. I asked the tech what's this zip tied mess up by the strut tower. "I don't know why they put so much wire on there you have to find a place to stuff it", really??? The link to the video is below.

If anything GM is not giving extra wire, that's cost, duh. This is why I believe if the trouble shooting in the instructions is not done to the T, you will not be successful in a fix. GM spent almost 2 years trying to produce a fix for some yahoo not to do it by the book.

Well I have chevy customer service in this site helping me now through PM's as this is totally unacceptable. I might be more OCD than most people. Yes the Spark might be a cheaper car. Yes, to them it's just another Job. Yes, the Spark is not their car, it's MINE! So as a customer I expect the car to be worked on with care. I take very good care if my possessions and expect and a service department to do the same, it is not their property, wether it costs $1 or millions, someone paid money for it.

http://s333.photobucket.com/user/bluer101/media/Spark/62649607-8456-4D23-8C5E-536C11D32239.mp4.html

Edited by bluer101