Do you have cold, cool, cold, cool, A/C?

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going to start a thread to keep track of the cold/cool A/C issue that some of us are experiencing. Also we can post updates and possible fixes. Hope GM gets to see this is not an isolated problem. We

Wow what a moron

I totally understand your position, and what your responsibilities are as a moderator. I enjoy exchanging ideas with members, and don't believe I have ever tried to engage anyone in a pissing contest.

Posted Images

UPDATE

Finally getting somewhere..

got a missed call to my CELL PHONE finally. I called back and wouldn't you know it, someone answered lol usually i just leave a voice message and they call back a few days later.

i told her all the issues, compressor replacement, still not working, dealer telling me its as good as it gets and the a/c working fine, and finally the dealer admitting that the a/c wasn't working properly and someone failed to add freon after the compressor replacement (since they told me that there was no leak)

she apologized and then offered me to refund my car payment for 1 month...

i countered with "i went 3 months june july august with poor a/c 1 month refund does not cut it..."

she then asked what would i want. I told her if there was any type of service contract available. She said that california did not allow such contracts but she would see what she could do.

she also said that she would "try" to get me 3 months reimbursement...

im hoping if they reimburse the money that the bottom line of what i owe will be the same and not be deducted from the reimbursement.

I took my car into the dealer this morning and got the sensor I've been waiting for. It's actually an "evaporator temp sensor" not an in-cabin air temp sensor like they initially told me. It took about an hour for them to install it. I did try it briefly and it was pumping out some pretty cold air. The temp here is only in the 60's so I really can't effectively try it out today. It's supposed to be in the upper 70's tomorrow so I'll report back sometime in the next day or so.

I took a drive this afternoon and tested the air. It was 75 degrees out at the time. No difference in the way the air conditioner operates. The compressor still cycles on and off. I'm tellin' ya it's the PROGRAMMING, not sensors. I don't think I have the latest BCM update even though the dealer claims I do. I waited 2 months for this sensor FOR NOTHING!

I took a drive this afternoon and tested the air. It was 75 degrees out at the time. No difference in the way the air conditioner operates. The compressor still cycles on and off. I'm tellin' ya it's the PROGRAMMING, not sensors. I don't think I have the latest BCM update even though the dealer claims I do. I waited 2 months for this sensor FOR NOTHING!

I know how long you've waited, it's too bad it didn't help, for what it's worth, I've had the latest BCM update, part of the long awaited "fix", and in the beginning I thought it was a little better (wishful thinking), but it really didn't change anything. Being the seasons are changing rapidly, I can see interest in this issue dying off. Hopefully the anticipated mad rush in early summer '14 will force their hand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hardwareman
Year :2013
Model LS
Transmission:Man
Build date: 9/12
Problem: Yes - Had complete A/C compressor failure @ 8600 miles on the first day of summer. Dealership replaced after waiting six weeks for new compressor. Now the car does not cool if the temperature is above 85 F. Dealer states A/C is working as engineered. GM is a freaking joke.

Someone please start a class action lawsuit against GM.

• 5 weeks later...

My AC was working great this morning, blow 10 degree F air just like outside. I haven't even tried to get this fixed because it has been cold since the last visit.

it was 84 a week or so ago. and it wouldnt cool the car down... that is kinda sad..

Edited by bensemailis

I've been trying to decide if I should post this or not, but here goes: I brought my car in once again, and there is (maybe) another new BCM update for the A/C. The reason I say maybe is that the document referenced on my repair order is not the same as any of the document numbers previously posted. I don't have the document number available at the moment, but since I got all kinds of BS the last time I posted what was done to my car, it doesn't really matter. For the record though, it did absolutely nothing to improve the A/C performance, and I think it actually made it worse. The car is back to doing the problem that was originally "diagnosed" in the techlink article - the A/C blows cold under acceleration, and the gets almost exactly 10 degrees warmer at idle. I will probably bring it in once again with the techlink article and see if they throw yet another compressor into this mess.

My AC was working great this morning, blow 10 degree F air just like outside. I haven't even tried to get this fixed because it has been cold since the last visit.

LOL! It was 19 here this morning, but I guess a lot of us will be approaching this problem again, soon enough. As i've mentioned before, am going to be curious to see how the '14's behave. If the majority of them are good, then GM has dealt with the problem, and left us out to swing in the breeze. I am done waiting for the magic "fix", but it will probably be a few months before the northeast warms up enough, to lean on the dealerships, for a resolution. I have one documented attempt, and two to go, before I can really start pushing.

Hello All,

I understand that there are some concerns with your vehicles. I cannot guarantee anything, but please feel free to reach out to us via private message message if you would like us to take a further look into your concerns or if we can be of any assistance.

Kristen A.

Chevrolet Customer Care

No disrespect, but your asking to take a further look into our concerns is total BS. You or Chevy engineers have no clue what's going on. What you can do is ask when they are going to have a real fix and not throw parts at our cars. We are not the test guinea pigs for Chevy. As you can see from the 22 pages there has not been a sufficient fix. Yes, I have not taken mine in because there is enough people already getting jerked around.

This is from June 5th last year. http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=1951

2) If pressures at idle and slightly above (Increased by 200 RPM) are the within 10 PSI (69 kPa) of each other, do not attempt any repairs or replace any parts at this time. GM Engineering is working on a repair to address this condition.

Maybe by the time GM fixes this all our Sparks will be out of warranty. I'm probably not speaking for just myself but how long does it really take to find a fix? GM sold us the cars and all that matters. The United States people bailed out GM and this is what we get.

Don't get me wrong, I have a love/hate relationship with my Spark, it's a head turner. But that soon will wear thin and the bad will overcome. I hope for GM's sake they really come up with a true answer or at least acknowledge this issue with no resolution thus far, own up.

Sorry for the rant but I have stood aside while everyone else gets the shaft and summer is approaching. I hope for GM's sake the 2014 models don't have this issue. The funny thing is this model Spark has been worldwide accept for USA since 2009 and when we ask our friends in other parts of the world if they have problems, none that I can recall. So WTF did they change in the US model?

Sorry for the rant but I have stood aside while everyone else gets the shaft and summer is approaching. I hope for GM's sake the 2014 models don't have this issue. The funny thing is this model Spark has been worldwide accept for USA since 2009 and when we ask our friends in other parts of the world if they have problems, none that I can recall. So WTF did they change in the US model?

I have to agree. If my AC isnt fixed by summer, I will be calling upon everyone on every forum I can find to start a class action lawsuit against GM. They started refusing to work on my car because if they try again and fail mine is a lemon, and I get out of this thing. So lets hope we can get some movement here.

Hello bluer101,

I do understand your frustration. I apologize for I am new and I'm still trying to get acquainted to the Spark concerns. I can assure that our customer's satisfaction is our priority and we are thoroughly looking into this concern. We thank you for your patience.

Kristen A.

Chevrolet Customer Care

I understand you are here to keep the peace but that's not getting answers.

All we ask as a community here is some type of response from GM about this issue. We have lost a few members that traded in their Sparks as they got fed up. From a customers service standpoint you would have to admit that this has been swept under the rug. I'm fully aware that all cars can have issues but this one is still unsolved for most of us. Just do a google search for Chevy Spark ac problems, there is tons there. Also this is the only place I have talked about this issue. I know a few other people locally that have Sparks with the same issue. They do not post on the internet either. So we are just a small percentage speaking for everyone, not included all the rental Sparks I see driving around.

I get lots of looks and complements on my ride. I tell everyone I love the car but the AC stinks.

I think the best thing for GM to do is get a few if us together with the same GM engineers to figure out what's going on. Not bring it in to a dealership so they can tie up out investment and throw parts at it. Right now I know what I have for AC and don't want to be worse from reports here after false fixes.

I'm starting to think this is a computer programming problem to meet US EPA standards and MPG. If that's the issue let me choose a few less MPG and be comfortable. Like I said, what's different from 2009 to 2013 models?

Kristen, this is not against you at all but if you truly want to help please get answers from higher management. Thank you.

Also, if I did not have a lot if time and money invested into my Spark with customizing it would be long gone by now.

Edited by bluer101

Great posts Bluer, absolutely reflects my feelings, and probably many other members here as well. What ticks me off the most, is the arrogance of GM, to put a product on the market that is not ready for prime time. I bought this car strictly on a whim, I wasn't looking for a car, I didn't need a car. I bought it because I liked it, and because of GM's credibility, which I now find to be totally lacking. Bottom line is, I like my Spark, and I want to keep my Spark, but I want it to be totally functional. This summer will be my second summer with this car, and my last chance to invoke the lemon law. If the car is not where I want it to be by early summer, I fully intend to see a lemon law attorney, and let GM deal with him. I'm sure he will handle it, better than I can. If it came to a buy back, I would just opt for another Spark, I'm not looking to dump the car, just the problem.

Great posts Bluer, absolutely reflects my feelings, and probably many other members here as well. What ticks me off the most, is the arrogance of GM, to put a product on the market that is not ready for prime time. I bought this car strictly on a whim, I wasn't looking for a car, I didn't need a car. I bought it because I liked it, and because of GM's credibility, which I now find to be totally lacking. Bottom line is, I like my Spark, and I want to keep my Spark, but I want it to be totally functional. This summer will be my second summer with this car, and my last chance to invoke the lemon law. If the car is not where I want it to be by early summer, I fully intend to see a lemon law attorney, and let GM deal with him. I'm sure he will handle it, better than I can. If it came to a buy back, I would just opt for another Spark, I'm not looking to dump the car, just the problem.

Thanks, I appreciate everyone stepping up in the beginning to try their so call fixes. I'm very easy to get along but this has now hit a nerve with me. I needed cheap transportation around town only. We have another vehicle SUV that we use for trips and such. So when I was looking my wife told me about the Spark as I did not look at GM yet. After seeing the one I have now and knowing it's been around worldwide since 2009 I though the kinks would be gone. Just like you I love my car but here in FL it's hot as hell.

This is similar to the illuminated steering wheel. At first GM or dealers were telling people that's the way they are. I even read about it prior to my purchase. Then test drove mine at night and was surprised mine was lit up. It took them how long to put out a bulletin with no fix at all.

Edited by bluer101

For anyone interested the document number for the BCM update referenced on my repair order is: #3412638.

There is also another document ( #3665305) for those that are having an issue with the A/C smelling funky.

I did not see either of these documents, I am only going by what is on the repair order for my car.

YMMV

For anyone interested the document number for the BCM update referenced on my repair order is: #3412638.

There is also another document ( #3665305) for those that are having an issue with the A/C smelling funky.

I did not see either of these documents, I am only going by what is on the repair order for my car.

YMMV

Thanks for the info, I am printing it out, I want to be well armed when I need to return to the dealership.