Do you have cold, cool, cold, cool, A/C?

Go buy foreign! Then get laughed at when you want assistance outside the warranty! Dealerships are independently owned, & when know it all assholes go in there barking orders... No wonder your car doesn't get fixed prop. Just because you see a bulletin, that doesn't make you a mechanic. Well maybe about as much as someone who self diagnoses off WebMD makes them a doctor. Let the dealership do their job, GM backs up the dealers anyways.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going to start a thread to keep track of the cold/cool A/C issue that some of us are experiencing. Also we can post updates and possible fixes. Hope GM gets to see this is not an isolated problem. We

Wow what a moron

I totally understand your position, and what your responsibilities are as a moderator. I enjoy exchanging ideas with members, and don't believe I have ever tried to engage anyone in a pissing contest.

Posted Images

Go buy foreign! Then get laughed at when you want assistance outside the warranty! Dealerships are independently owned, & when know it all assholes go in there barking orders... No wonder your car doesn't get fixed prop. Just because you see a bulletin, that doesn't make you a mechanic. Well maybe about as much as someone who self diagnoses off WebMD makes them a doctor. Let the dealership do their job, GM backs up the dealers anyways.

GM, and their dealers are being given every opportunity, to do their job! Over, and over, and over. They are not getting it done, plain and simple. You don't need to read a bulletin, or be a mechanic, or even be an asshole, to realize you just turned on your a/c, and it is blowing warm air. Read the threads here, these are not isolated incidents, it is becoming an epidemic problem, with complaints spreading to Facebook, the NHTSA, not a place to report it, but just sheer frustration. GM is backing up it's dealers? That is a case of the blind leading the blind. GM is clueless, and they are feeding their dealerships what they know.......NOTHING!! Do a little more homework, before you start criticizing the users who have real problems.

Have the service mgr involve their district manager, they & ONLY THEY can escalate it to the brand quality dept at GM. That's how changes get made. Not some idiot who thinks every single bulletin applies to their car & badmouths the manufacturer on a stupid forum.

Have the service mgr involve their district manager, they & ONLY THEY can escalate it to the brand quality dept at GM. That's how changes get made. Not some idiot who thinks every single bulletin applies to their car & badmouths the manufacturer on a stupid forum.

OK, let's try to be slightly more civil. And for the record, I fix far more complicated things than this car for a living. I also have an older brother who has repaired Mercedes cars for nearly 30 years, and another who has done the same for nearly 20 years. My father has repaired refrigeration systems for more than my entire life. I've rebuilt engines on Volkswagen aircooled cars, yes that includes splitting the case and doing crank, pistons, cam., etc. I've also done a complete top end on my Harley based motorcycle, and done a complete computer based tune since we have an application that allows us to log and tune the things. Oh and I also helped a friend rebuild an old Datsun motor once a long time ago, and worked on 2 cycle motorcycle engines and a little on some diesels. So I think I have things in the mechanical world covered pretty good and took your comments as a large personal insult, but held my tongue. As you can see I'm a moderator, and at this point I'm letting the above comments stand, though it would be nice if the previous posters might consider changing the language a small amount, but I want them to still convey how much you just pissed them off.

OK, let's try to be slightly more civil. And for the record, I fix far more complicated things than this car for a living. I also have an older brother who has repaired Mercedes cars for nearly 30 years, and another who has done the same for nearly 20 years. My father has repaired refrigeration systems for more than my entire life. I've rebuilt engines on Volkswagen aircooled cars, yes that includes splitting the case and doing crank, pistons, cam., etc. I've also done a complete top end on my Harley based motorcycle, and done a complete computer based tune since we have an application that allows us to log and tune the things. Oh and I also helped a friend rebuild an old Datsun motor once a long time ago, and worked on 2 cycle motorcycle engines and a little on some diesels. So I think I have things in the mechanical world covered pretty good and took your comments as a large personal insult, but held my tongue. As you can see I'm a moderator, and at this point I'm letting the above comments stand, though it would be nice if the previous posters might consider changing the language a small amount, but I want them to still convey how much you just pissed them off.

+1

I drilled my dealer hard on the survey they sent me, but on unrelated issues. Just how GM is handling this matter has already made up my mind which brand my next car will be, Hyundai! If my car ever ends up totaled, I'm going straight to the Hyundai dealership.

I've been watching quietly from the sidelines how this is playing out. Austex04, this is exactly what I did, I traded BOTH of my Chevy's, my Spark and my pickup truck in for a Hyundai Veloster. I'm happy and cool on these 100+ degree days in Oklahoma! I feel terrible how GM is treating their loyal customers. They should know that they have lost one (me) for lifetime. I have always owned GM products, but never again. When I do get ready to buy another truck again, it will be a Toyota Tundra or a Ford F150. Sorry GM, but you've missed the boat on this issue. I understand that troubles are going to happen, that does not bother me. But relationships are made on how troubles/issues are handled and resolved. And this issue is classic example of how to loose long time loyal customers. Saddens me that USA bailed out GM a few years back and this is the thanks we are getting! :(

I've been watching quietly from the sidelines how this is playing out. Austex04, this is exactly what I did, I traded BOTH of my Chevy's, my Spark and my pickup truck in for a Hyundai Veloster. I'm happy and cool on these 100+ degree days in Oklahoma! I feel terrible how GM is treating their loyal customers. They should know that they have lost one (me) for lifetime. I have always owned GM products, but never again. When I do get ready to buy another truck again, it will be a Toyota Tundra or a Ford F150. Sorry GM, but you've missed the boat on this issue. I understand that troubles are going to happen, that does not bother me. But relationships are made on how troubles/issues are handled and resolved. And this issue is classic example of how to loose long time loyal customers. Saddens me that USA bailed out GM a few years back and this is the thanks we are getting! :(

Welcome back Joe. Nicely put, but im not at the point of trading in yet. I'm still going to wait a few to attemp my fix. Good thing this is not my main mode of transportation.

Welcome back Joe. Nicely put, but im not at the point of trading in yet. I'm still going to wait a few to attemp my fix. Good thing this is not my main mode of transportation.

ask them to check for any leaks because i had the same problem and over here the service center is very far to go and give my car so i go to my local mech and he solved my ac problem try to go to a local mech and ask him to check the ac then later on yu can tell your dealer what problem you are having

We started looking more deeply into this last night, it seems the compressor may be commanded to turn off to keep the evaporator from freezing, even when you have the fan on 4 and it is only blowing 50 degree air. Need to rig up a light so I know when the clutch is engaged or free. This is either a sensor issue or programming issue, but could still be a high pressure too high condition, the high pressure fitting for our gauges wouldn't lock so we don't know exactly what the pressure was. With over forty years experience in refrigeration system, my dad said the temperature of the lines felt normal. I'll get a new fitting for the gauges soon.

The compressor cycling goes back to a comment I made several pages back where I said I felt an increase in power when it went warm. But in theory it should never turn the compressor off when blowing at full fan because the evaporator should not be able to get cold enough to risk freezing.

Also after looking at the compressor, my brother said it is a common old style, not the variable pressure/displacement style. If it was variable pressure, then it would not need the clutch, and would not uncouple the clutch when it was risking freezing the evap. coils, it would just change how it is compressing the gas to match the current amount needed.

To test your system get a decent thermometer and stick it in a vent, generally the center vents are coldest due to shorter run length. Put fan on 1 and let it run for a while. Hood should be up so you can hear the clutch. Rev engine to around 2000rpm. When the duct temperature gets to around 40-45 you should hear the clutch release because the coils are near freezing. This should cycle on and off fairly frequently and no real noticeable change in vent temperature. Now if you put the fan on 4 the clutch should lock up, vent temperature will climb because we probably have an under rated evap. coil, but compressor shouldn't cycle until vent temperature drops back down to the previous lows. This is where I think mine is currently failing and probably needs a sensor or programming update.

So all they did was the BCM update?

Yes. Going in on a Saturday, I knew that any parts that they would need would have to be ordered. I gave them a copy of the latest fixes and asked them to try them. The service manager seems confident that they will be able to fix it, but that they could not call until tomorrow at the earliest to set up another case number and order the parts required. At this point, he wants another compressor, some type of screen to filter out any particles in the system, the updated temperature sensor, and one other part, as my car was built in July of 2012. Time will tell what happens now. I am now waiting again. My a/c was working pretty decently when I was driving before the service appointment, but when I used it on the way home, it barely blows any cold air at all. Oh well, it is bearable and I will again be patient and hope for the best.

I agree with you, bluer101. I am not ready to give up yet either. I am going to attempt to wait a while more. I just wish there were ways to get this issue out to a broader audience and make a larger impact. This different dealership I am using seems to want to fix it, but I am waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under me and that dealership losing interest in trying to fix it. If worse comes to worse, I think I will use the lemon law instead of trading this car in on another. Hmm, time will tell.

After having my a/c serviced, the cam, sensor, and bcm update, which I really believed would cure it, I had to return to the dealership, to get a second update for my radio. The service manager asked me how the a/c was behaving, I told him about the same, he tried to talk me into leaving the car, but I told him I would wait. I know the drill, compressor, expansion valve, what really is left? Again, the thing that intrigues me, is that it seems the people who should be the most aware of these problems, haven't a clue. The strange part is, I haven't heard one person with a 2014 model complain, up to this point anyway. The defects are all '13's. There is an answer here some where, and I am also waiting it out. Dumping the car hasn't crossed my mind, and if I had to go the lemon law route, and won, I would probably opt for another Spark, instead of a full refund. The weather here in Jersey will be cooling down soon, so in my case there is no urgency, I made it through the summer fairly comfortably, and we had a few miserable spells. Time will tell.

The strange part is, I haven't heard one person with a 2014 model complain, up to this point anyway. The defects are all '13's.

Doesn't really make sense to compare to '14's...since how many are actually on the road ?

It would actually be nice if it was that simple...since one could just compare what A/C parts are different....and investigate from there.

Edited by respdoc

I do know the evaporator sensor part was revised, because I attempted to order it, and wound up getting a refund because they couldn't get the part from GM. That makes it appear GM is hording parts to fix all the ones people are complaining about. I wonder what else was revised or changed on the '14?

Doesn't really make sense to compare to '14's...since how many are actually on the road ?

Granted, but we must've had at least 1/2 dozen new '14 owners here, not one complaint, whereas if you poll 1/2 dozen '13 owners, some right out of the showroom, half or more have an a/c issue. Just an early observation.

Granted, but we must've had at least 1/2 dozen new '14 owners here, not one complaint, whereas if you poll 1/2 dozen '13 owners, some right out of the showroom, half or more have an a/c issue. Just an early observation.

It also appears some of the '14 owners here own the electric version..so that's not an even playing field..since we know they at least have different ECU programming controlling their acc. functions.

(My hopes) if it had the ability to have been a "quick fix" GM would have came up with the solution already. My fears..are they are going to stick with the "it's operating as designed" nonsense....given the fact it's a sub-par design from the start.

Edited by respdoc

It also appears some of the '14 owners here own the electric version..so that's not an even playing field..since we know they at least have different ECU programming controlling their acc. functions.

(My hopes) if it had the ability to have been a "quick fix" GM would have came up with the solution already. My fears..are they are going to stick with the "it's operating as designed" nonsense....given the fact it's a sub-par design from the start.

heres the issue ...

theres documents stating that its not working as designed.

heres the issue ...

theres documents stating that its not working as designed.

What "documents" ? Mine stated they preformed what was called for in the bulletin....but the end result is it still didn't fix the issue while still claiming it is working as designed.

What "documents" ? Mine stated they preformed what was called for in the bulletin....but the end result is it still didn't fix the issue while still claiming it is working as designed.

there is 2 bulliten reports

plus i believe 3 pages ? of documents that contain instructions for certain build dates and after.

there is 2 bulliten reports

plus i believe 3 pages ? of documents that contain instructions for certain build dates and after.

I think you're confused since you're basically saying the same thing I told you was already done.

All the items (for my build date)..they stated have been completed per the "documents" and I'm still having A/C issues.

Edited by respdoc