Transmission Service Bulletin - PIP5101

21 hours ago, bluer101 said:

I wonder if if I should pull the electric plug in the position sensor at the trans and clean and grease like the tsb states??

I think your are right on the mark..could be a bad contact due to corrosion ...clean and correct electro lube may do it and a good idea no matter what. Process of elimination if that does not do the trick...Although I have not had that issue, I was unaware of a TSB on that.

I had the TSB done and it doesn't fix anything . I still had the problem happen twice after the fix . The service writer even shook his head at the fix . Your issue might be different . The PRNDL will disappear and car will  have  almost no power  .    There was no jerking or anything like that.  I have often describe it as limp mode but really it isn't .  I have been in limp mode and the car is still drivable though at low speed and power . In this instance the car is undrivable .A restart fixes it till if and when it happens again . It's always shortly after starting the car , anywhere from a few hundred feet to a block or 2. 

Edited by sparkfanatic

I pulled it apart yesterday, removed the air box to get to it. The plug and such was perfectly clean and still had grease from the factory. I made sure the plug was clicked in after removing it a few times. We will see what happens. 

The car was in limp mode but it really was not a jerk but a harder shift from park to reverse and reverse to drive. The position sensor just tells the computer what position the trans is in. If it reports the wrong gear or position that can make the computer do weird stuff as the 2 don't agree. 

I will ill keep and eye on it for now, still love my little green car. 

• 4 years later...

Shutting your car off and restarting it doesn't fix the problem! The problem is still there, just not active. Ignoring it, like a dealer does when the claim there's no code, is just kicking it down there road, until it's no longer a warranted situation. There's either a mechanical problem (like transmission), electrical problem (like a sensor malfunction), software problem, or manufacturer issue (bingo!). Dealer mechanics despise warranty work, as they make a commission on paid jobs and warranty work is fixed rate. The difference between GM and Porsche recalls is day and night. American car manufacturers have to be fined and sued before they issue a recall. Porsche issues recalls as soon as they see a pattern of defects. Every car company issues recalls and they all have defects. It's the way that they take care of the problem that distinguishes their quality!