The good news: according to Kelly Blue Book, the Chevy Spark is projected to hold it's value better than all of the other "econobox" cars except for the Scion iQ.

The bad news: KBB estimates that the Spark 1LT with Auto trans will only be worth $4995 in 5 years!

I would like to know how a $15,000 car is an "econobox"?

Am I the only person that remembers when you could buy a Lincoln Town Car for $15,000? :spend:

Well, in 1955, you could get a new Cadillac, for the same $4995, or a new T-Bird, when they were introduced the same year. As Bob Dylan said, " the times they are a changin". A good thing? I don't know. :unsure:

I doubt you can really trust KBB's projections 100%. Most cars these days seem to be holding their value well, or at least the dealer makes it look as so. I see so many cars that are around 5 years old and were 15-20K when new. They're now priced around 8-13K with average miles of around 50,000-70,000 on the odometer.

I know, it's crazy how something around $15,000 new is a cheap car these days. The spark starting around $13,000 is uber cheap. I'm amazed that you can get a Nissan Versa sedan for only $10,000. That, of course, has nothing in it but a 2 speaker radio.

Edited by Trancer07
I doubt you can really trust KBB's projections 100%. Most cars these days seem to be holding their value well, or at least the dealer makes it look as so. I see so many cars that are around 5 years old and were 15-20K when new. They're now priced around 8-13K with average miles of around 50,000-70,000 on the odometer.

I know, it's crazy how something around $15,000 new is a cheap car these days. The spark starting around $13,000 is uber cheap. I'm amazed that you can get a Nissan Versa sedan for only $10,000. That, of course, has nothing in it but a 2 speaker radio.

I was looking at the Versa until the Spark caught my eye. I needed a second car for cheap around town. The Spark was a little more but way better deal.

Getting the base model Nissan Versa is nearly impossible. Dealers don't stock them. And when you walk into the dealer and ask to buy one, you will get laughed out.

Back in 2011 I was looking for a cheap car. Here in NY - USED CARS ARE MORE EXPENSIVE THAN NEW CARS??? . I couldn't find a used compace with under 50K miles and 4 years for <$15000. I went to a Nissan dealer to try to get a base model, stripper Versa. I was literally laughed out of two local nissan dealers. They won't order one even if you walk in Cash in hand. I don't think they make enough money on one.

I really like the Versa. Styling is a bit off but it's really a decent car. Simple and basic and cheap.

True here with base Versas, nobody has them in stock, probably because it would be hard to sell a car in Texas without a/c. Most people who buy small cars want them fully loaded anyway, which is why so many of them, including the Spark, have so much standard equipment. Used car values will continue to stay high, especially in the northeast, where Sandy destroyed so many vehicles. I see 10+ year old Hyundai Accents going for over 2 grand, with mileage over 100k and beaten up, sun faded bodies here, but you can find 15 year old Suburbans and Tahoes in good condition for the same cost as the beat up small cars.

Used car prices drove me to buy a new car, 2008 Ave with 50,000 going for $10,000??? You must be kidding! A friend just sent me a sticker for a used Smart, it was a little over $12,000... Oddly enough this was parked at a Chevy dealer, probably in order to help sell Sparks which are bigger, cheaper, and get nearly the same fuel mileage.

Used car prices drove me to buy a new car, 2008 Ave with 50,000 going for $10,000??? You must be kidding! A friend just sent me a sticker for a used Smart, it was a little over $12,000... Oddly enough this was parked at a Chevy dealer, probably in order to help sell Sparks which are bigger, cheaper, and get nearly the same fuel mileage.

Enterprise is selling a lot of used 2011 Aveo rental cars around here. They're selling them for MORE than the MSRP was new ... and we all know that Enterprise did not pay $12K for it new.

Enterprise is selling a lot of used 2011 Aveo rental cars around here. They're selling them for MORE than the MSRP was new ... and we all know that Enterprise did not pay $12K for it new.

I tell ya, everyone is out to scam everyone these days. :rant2: