A/C Recirculate flap

As I mentioned in an earlier post on your 'Brakes Seized" topic...the parts on this car, that on most other cars are, to a degee, rust protected with a galvinized or other coating that seem to not apply to the Spark. One member, 'Greg_E' posted pictures of his badly rusted brakes & exhaust tubing ( http://chevysparkforum.com/topic/848-rust/?hl=rust ) after one winter in the 'salt belt' of the NorthEast US.

We live in the Miami area, so no salt but very humid and I have noticed rust on exterior parts that were excessive given the car was only a few months out of the factory. This led me to examine those parts as well as hidden parts such as rear brake components. What i did was use my proven method of rust control on parts that have rubber seals or other parts that cannot be exposed to oil or grease. For example, the rear brake components had the (minor at the time) rust removed with a soft steel brush and sprayed all components except the brake friction parts with 'Turtle' tire shine that I have been using for years on my boat and other cars to prevent rust without harming rubber or electonics. I use the same product on the engine compartment area and front brake calipers and exterior of the rear brake drums. The exhaust from front to back I use a 'white grease' spray that will not burn off.

After almost three years and over 50Kmi there is no rust to be seen on any metal or 'whitish' oxidation on aluminum parts such as front calipers and exterior engine components. The front calipers and rear brake drums are totally rust free and still a silver color. The only parts that appear to be protected are the brake and fuel lines that seem to have a brownish anodized coating...still sprayed them as I was unsure.

When I had the tires replaced earlier this year and inspected the rear brake assembly...dusty, but zero rust anywhere. The mechanic asked if I had the brake assembly replaced and was surprized when I told him they were all original parts that had been sprayed with the tire shine..."well that's something new" he said.

You may think that living in Miami we don't have a big rust issue. Well not only is it humid, but we live right on the ocean with the prevailing winds coming from the ocean and salty air, even my garden tools rust quickly. Even though I use the "TurtleĀ®" tire shine, I am sure other brands would work equally well. Only the 'super' or 'ultra' shine products are to be avoided as they leave a more thick and greasy coating. Use it on my boat engine and aluminum, chrome and brass fittings as well as exposed wood such as railings and door frames but not the deck as the spray product contains a form of silicone. I dont work for TurtleĀ®, in fact I don't work at all... I hope some get a benefit from my experience...and that is my usual long ramble for today. {]:-(||)

Have to remember I'm just north of you in North Broward and understand our climate. I understand your point about being preventative but it's still less than 3 years old and I nor anyone else should have to tear things apart and spray them. This is a Chevy issue not mine.

I'm taking the advice of the service manager from my Chevy, that I should get rid of the Spark, nice that their own employees don't even back their product. Thats why I have been looking around at other vehicles other than Chevy.

I really do like the car but the total lack of service to not listen to the customer is crazy. They have had my car now 8 days today and only installed rear cylinders, connected a wire (5 seconds), replaced drivers seat cover. They still insist that my AC is working fine and does not need the BCM update that specifically shows it does per their tech bulletin and my sparks production date. Now the whole recirculate actuator with scratching heads.

So I would stay tuned if I do get rid of my Spark. I will have a nice set of rims/tires and a full Kicker system for sale.

Edited by bluer101
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Typical run around, it seems the Chevy dealers are schooled in these tactics, more so than on actual repairs. I can't blame you for being pissed, you have been more than patient with these issues. I h

Have to remember I'm just north of you in North Broward and understand our climate. I understand your point about being preventative but it's still less than 3 years old and I nor anyone else should

I hear ya, but it looks like this will be another trade in if that's the case. I used to do all that stuff if the dealer or factory did not, but not anymore. At the end of the day it's just a car. I

I understand your point about being preventative but it's still less than 3 years old and I nor anyone else should have to tear things apart and spray them. This is a Chevy issue not mine.

The thing is that Chevy has made it your problem and we're pretty well stuck with it so my one time $4-2hr spray job is by far the best solution as we all know GM will do nothing about this. Sounds like you have a bad dealer..mine is out of warranty (except drivetrain) so I use a shop I have been dealing with since the '80's run by 3 Cuban brothers who are very flexible about me walking around and asking them to do certain stuff. My Chevy dealer had a lot of kids running around doing the basic stuff like oil and tires and they always got the oil wrong or would rotate the one side of the car tires, go on break and forget the other side...Anyway my metal parts look like new due to the 2hr spray job and I do agree it should not be my problem but it is.

The 'zero point' of the problem is with the Korean plants that buy inexpensive 3rd party parts that are made to loosely worded specs that may not indicate rust protection but for the most part meet the basic specs and thus save money in assembly costs over the price GM pays them per vehicle. Getting rid of the Spark would be a financial hit as they don't sell for much used.

In Cuba they are able to keep 50 year old cars on the road by DIY ingenuity and when I am stuck with a paid for, non returnable product that has correctable or preventable issues that warranty will not resolve I try to resolve it myself or have it done professionally and only after that fails will I sell the product at a bigger than normal loss because I no longer wish to use it.

When I bought this car I knew it would probably have some rust prone or other sub-standard parts due to price vs features and within a month I examined only the easily accessible parts in question and was able to easily correct some of the missing rust protection. You really can't expect a car loaded with features yet costing less than half the average vehicle price be made with premium quality components.

The thing is that Chevy has made it your problem and we're pretty well stuck with it so my one time $4-2hr spray job is by far the best solution as we all know GM will do nothing about this. Sounds like you have a bad dealer..mine is out of warranty (except drivetrain) so I use a shop I have been dealing with since the '80's run by 3 Cuban brothers who are very flexible about me walking around and asking them to do certain stuff. My Chevy dealer had a lot of kids running around doing the basic stuff like oil and tires and they always got the oil wrong or would rotate the one side of the car tires, go on break and forget the other side...Anyway my metal parts look like new due to the 2hr spray job and I do agree it should not be my problem but it is.

The 'zero point' of the problem is with the Korean plants that buy inexpensive 3rd party parts that are made to loosely worded specs that may not indicate rust protection but for the most part meet the basic specs and thus save money in assembly costs over the price GM pays them per vehicle. Getting rid of the Spark would be a financial hit as they don't sell for much used.

In Cuba they are able to keep 50 year old cars on the road by DIY ingenuity and when I am stuck with a paid for, non returnable product that has correctable or preventable issues that warranty will not resolve I try to resolve it myself or have it done professionally and only after that fails will I sell the product at a bigger than normal loss because I no longer wish to use it.

When I bought this car I knew it would probably have some rust prone or other sub-standard parts due to price vs features and within a month I examined only the easily accessible parts in question and was able to easily correct some of the missing rust protection. You really can't expect a car loaded with features yet costing less than half the average vehicle price be made with premium quality components.

I hear ya, but it looks like this will be another trade in if that's the case. I used to do all that stuff if the dealer or factory did not, but not anymore. At the end of the day it's just a car.

I should come down to you and see your mechanics.