Hey everybody I've got a 2013 Chevy Spark lemonade yellow. I've got about almost 1700 miles on him. I'm getting about 33.9 mpg. I like to drive to SF alot Go Giants. I live a hour or two from anywhere cool so I take take Mellow Yellow everywhere yay first new car.

Congrats!

Anything over 70 mph kills the mpg. It doesn't matter what car you are in. Keep it at or under 70, and you will see the mpg's go up or be around where they should be. That keeps the revs around 3k or under and it does make a difference. Now I realize that under 70 isn't an option in some parts, L.A for instance, or any of the major metro areas.

Anything over 70 mph kills the mpg. It doesn't matter what car you are in. Keep it at or under 70, and you will see the mpg's go up or be around where they should be. That keeps the revs around 3k or under and it does make a difference. Now I realize that under 70 isn't an option in some parts, L.A for instance, or any of the major metro areas.

I agree with you as I keep it under 70 mph even though speed limit here in Texas ranges from 75 to 80 mph depends on which side of state you are on. Be nice to put cruise control in mine. Though average 40 to 41 mpg with 1460 miles on engine and K&N air filter 5 speed with mixed city driving, I tend to coast a lot as I know when to start to also I know when a light is about to turn green if I am approaching it, not to mention the over passes you can cruise down

• 1 year later...

check out eco modder web site for tips and tricks about hyper miling. do you have a manual or cvt?

either way try to keep your rmps under 2k anything over wastes gas. over 60mph and youre wasting gas. accelerate slowly, in a cvt drive it like a clutchless auto and take your foot off the gas to shift, this will drop your rpm cruising at 45mph will get you optimal fuel efficiency. when you do cruise it try to keep your rpms as close to 1k as possible. running the a/c does suck power from the engine regardless of fan speed but cranked up will take more. use your instant mpg on the instrument cluster to see what youre getting and adjust your driving accordingly. dont carry around extra crap you dont need weight will hurt mpg. and coast to the red lights, if you can take the same route every day and learn the light timing also check traffic on google maps before you leave. im getting 37 with a cvt carrying around a subwoofer gunning it when i need to all city driving. hope this helps, but really watch your instant mpg and youll learn eco driving is a technique it doesnt just happen.