As far as I can see...no picture of the muffler...but your flange is rusting. Thats pretty typical...most lower end cars use plain steel for flanges. Nissans and infinitis are notrious for flange rot/breakage due to plain steel material. I fix usually 1-4 a week. The muffler would fall off in 2-3 years if it werent stainless. ;)

I can't seem to find the other thread, but exhaust flanges and surface rust on the exhaust system aren't entirely uncommon - at least here in NY. Rotors, too. Rotors aren't coated with anything for protection (they can't be) and they'll rust up.

It's not uncommon for cars for sale on car lots that sit for a while to have the pads rust to the rotor! It's nuts - even new cars will do it after sitting for a month or two!

Suspension components (knuckles) are pretty common for this to happen. There are some untreated iron components on my Focus that came from the factory with a light coat of rust. I'd rather have Iron that has some surface rust than aluminum that just disintegrates.

Still, the exhaust is pretty cool! Wish I could get under my car to do that!