Rocker panel chips

I haven't been on dirt or gravel roads yet, but I expect this to be a big problem. Might be worth some clear protection spray, it's similar to pick up bed liner without the aggregate. There are some adhesive films to do the same but I can't put a finger on them right now, probably made by 3M.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is a place near Toronto that does this and I looked into it for my smart (decided against it because the car was used) and may look into it for the Spark and get a quote

Can't take pics right now, but whatever it is its on there really well. I was told its a chip guard. Clear, almost rubbery feeling. I assumed they all had them but haven't checked it any others fit that particular thing.

On my rockers there is a soft rubbery crinkle paint that is used to prevent chips because the objects are supposed to bounce off the material. It does work well but the color paint eventually chips and you are left with white spots where the soft stuff is attached. Hopefully they mix the color all the way through on these cars.

I assume not all sparks have them or theirs was taken off?

Mine has it, from the front wheel well to the rear wheel well. Never noticed it before I read this post, it almost looks like the spray in truck bed liner stuff... :shades:

That's what I have. Dealership says that is to prevent chip. So far it has worked.

I assume not all sparks have them or theirs was taken off?

I wonder if it's just on the LS and 1LT, because I don't remember my 2LT having it (maybe because of the body kit the 2LT has?).

Edited by Riverspark

I wonder if it's just on the LS and 1LT, because I don't remember my 2LT having it (maybe because of the body kit the 2LT has?).

I think your right, it because yours has the body kit. Speaking of body kit, how is it attached to the bottom of the car?

I think your right, it because yours has the body kit. Speaking of body kit, how is it attached to the bottom of the car?

Unless someone has a picture handy to post, I will try and take a decent one tomorrow...because I don't even know how they are attached to the vehicle

That is perfect thank you so much. I see now that separate holes are needed. In your second picture you can see the rubber grommets. I though since those are caps on non LT2's I thought those got removed and were attached there. So if any factory kit is released you would have to drill into the rocker. I hope they design something to use the existing holes.

Thank you very much.

• 1 year later...

I bought a new 2013 Spark it is red, when a stone hits it the spot turns white.it looks terrible, so I called Gm and they got ahold of the dealership, to see if they could help me they said tee is nothing that can be done. So I called Gm again and I was told there is nothing they can do, I think it sucks I don't want white spots on my car. They want us to buy but don't want to fix the problems with the Spark.I'm not maDE of money I don't have the extra cash to have it painted.I will never buy chevy again.I realize it isn't a twenty thousand dollar car but I work hard to make the payment, I deserve to be treated a little better.

I bought a new 2013 Spark it is red, when a stone hits it the spot turns white.it looks terrible, so I called Gm and they got ahold of the dealership, to see if they could help me they said tee is nothing that can be done. So I called Gm again and I was told there is nothing they can do, I think it sucks I don't want white spots on my car. They want us to buy but don't want to fix the problems with the Spark.I'm not maDE of money I don't have the extra cash to have it painted.I will never buy chevy again.I realize it isn't a twenty thousand dollar car but I work hard to make the payment, I deserve to be treated a little better.

The Spark has glossy white primer paint because they wanted the applied colors to be bright as the Spark is aimed at the younger market. Usual automotive manufacturing process is to apply a matte grey primer. The matte grey is a better base for the final paint due to the matte surface being a good bond to the final paint. Unfortunately some car models that have used the gloss white primer to accent the final paint color have issues with the final paint adhering to the primer and chip more easily exposing the white primer. That's my take on that issue.