Are Sparks more likely to be tailgated by aggressive drivers?

I was being tailgated today and after the guy got pissed and zoomed around and cut the front off real close. The funny thing is down the road I caught up to him (I was doing the speed limit) and past him. So I don't think he was in a hurry getting somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I get a lot of people flying up to my bumper. In fact just a month after I purchased my car (Oct 2012 accident in Nov 2012) I was rear ended. I couldn't drive it because the bumper was falling off ONTO the tire. Took 2 months to fix because the car was so new it took forever to get the parts. But I live near DC and literally the people in this area are out to kill each other....

535d25b7-87ed-44b7-8904-48662aab07bd_zps

Edited by TechnoPinkSerena
I get a lot of people flying up to my bumper. In fact just a month after I purchased my car (Oct 2012 accident in Nov 2012) I was rear ended. I couldn't drive it because the bumper was falling off ONTO the tire. Took 2 months to fix because the car was so new it took forever to get the parts. But I live near DC and literally the people in this area are out to kill each other....

Jeez. I hope the other person got just as much damage to his/her front end!

Edited by Trancer07

That sucks, glad you are okay though. I have almost been rear ended once with my Spark, hopefully I won't ever experience that.

Small cars, in my opinion are tailgated more because of their usual lack of power. It may seem that they are closer, but the fact is, we are usually just going slower. That's how it seems to me anyway.. Especially when pulling away after a complete stop. Being mileage conscious, I let my car get to 50-60 when it wants to, rather than my forcing it, which decreases mileage. but once I am cruising speed, things seem to balance between my passing other vehicles, and getting passed myself.

Just reading this, I'm happy I don't live in the parts of the country where so many people are like that, and I'm sure it's more than their driving that's rude and aggressive, and that attitude problem isn't going to get them far in this world. I happen to work in a customer service field, and sometimes have to deal with those types, I don't do them any favors that I can do for others. This is some reasons why I think some people feel they need to buy large suv's, to feel safe, because they feel they need to bully people around, they feel insecure about themselves, or as an extension to their manhood or lack thereof.

Edited by austex04
Small cars, in my opinion are tailgated more because of their usual lack of power. It may seem that they are closer, but the fact is, we are usually just going slower. That's how it seems to me anyway.. Especially when pulling away after a complete stop. Being mileage conscious, I let my car get to 50-60 when it wants to, rather than my forcing it, which decreases mileage. but once I am cruising speed, things seem to balance between my passing other vehicles, and getting passed myself.

This is the best answer , but if you are going slower does not give others the right to ride our you know what.

Just reading this, I'm happy I don't live in the parts of the country where so many people are like that, and I'm sure it's more than their driving that's rude and aggressive, and that attitude problem isn't going to get them far in this world. I happen to work in a customer service field, and sometimes have to deal with those types, I don't do them any favors that I can do for others. This is some reasons why I think some people feel they need to buy large suv's, to feel safe, because they feel they need to bully people around, they feel insecure about themselves, or as an extension to their manhood or lack thereof.

You need to live here in Florida, home of the rude and the "I'm the only person on the road or those rules don't apply to me."

Several Miami members on the Hyundai forum installed dash cams on their cars because of how bad it was. If I felt that way, I would sell the car and not drive at all, or move, most likely the latter. I have lived in four states and twelve different cities in the last 16 years, and lived here the longest, but it's changed so much over the last 9 years I'm going to move again, in a year or so. I preferred the Pacific nw out of all the places, and disliked the north central and ne the most, because of the mentality and social climate. FL reminded me of NJ, I have a relative who retired in Naples, I honestly would rather die than retire there, lol.

Edited by austex04
Several Miami members on the Hyundai forum installed dash cams on their cars because of how bad it was. If I felt that way, I would sell the car and not drive at all, or move, most likely the latter. I have lived in four states and twelve different cities in the last 16 years, and lived here the longest, but it's changed so much over the last 9 years I'm going to move again, in a year or so. I preferred the Pacific nw out of all the places, and disliked the north central and ne the most, because of the mentality and social climate. FL reminded me of NJ, I have a relative who retired in Naples, I honestly would rather die than retire there, lol.

Yes, the west coast is waiting to die ville. We have only been to the west coast maybe a handful of times and I have been here since 1982. It's changed a lot since then but the east coast is not too bad. It just seems that more non English speaking people are taking over. I joke with people when they have to go to Miami, "You are taking your passport aren't you."

Hope that you're OK glad to see that "Little damage" rear hatch seems to be ok... My Dad drove my car the other day US road trip and he noticed that people are put off by the pink color ,So much so that that they'll come to within 10 feet of her than switch lanes and the drivers here on the highway are super rude AND aggressive "MY road ...I pay my taxes!!!" plus I put on the reflective strip that you find on the semi's kill-bar on the back that seems to get thier attention. Boldness for the pink!! ..Thats what I got (Call her Lily-Heather)....Just dumped the factory fill at 1473 Miles and sent out sample for used oil analysis .I know that the wear #'s will be HIGH ,but I want to trend the wear, OLM was at 81% when changed and I also paid to get TBN done. Apparently timing chains beat the hell out of the oil and I wanted to make sure that the OLM is calibrated unlike the Traverse where they recalibrated the OLM after replacing a few engines.

I will be posting the results as soon as I get them...Will do official OC in JUly at my dealership then switch over to M1 synthetic or Quakerstate Synthetic in October.

Enjoy the new car! when you get her back ..Cheers

This is the best answer , but if you are going slower does not give others the right to ride our you know what.

That's very true, our cars don't catch up to the flow of traffic as most do, so those that ride our rear end cheeks are assholes, but can't exactly say I don't do the same when someone in front of me is going slow. Then I just look for an opening to pass..

• 2 months later...

I'm not necessarily getting tailgated, but rather immediately passed when getting on the expressway. Just tonight, I had a big V8 car fling around me on the end of the on-ramp like I was accelerating too slow for him.

Edited by Trancer07

I do the speed limit as well. If someone is tailgating, then let them. Sometimes a good brake check will suffice. Other times they can pass by. I really don't care. People would tailgate me when I drove my Porsche, S4 and so on. It doesn't matter the car you are in, it is really dependent on the other driver(s).

You need to live here in Florida, home of the rude and the "I'm the only person on the road or those rules don't apply to me."

Amen....Florida is turning into a crap hole of a state in multiple ways. Why? We have sooooo many transplants in the state that are just downright rude. Where I live, Spring Hill, FL, is like a little New York. Ridiculous. We will be leaving the state after I get my RN license. I want to live in a Southern state again, not a Northern state located in the South. I am a rare native Floridian that has seen then state just ruined in the last 20 years.

lol I was just thinking about this last night on my drive home from work. I'm so not used to having such a tiny car, that a lot of the cars "tailgating" me, actually aren't at all. It only FEELS that way, because I'm used to having a huge ass on a car, that I had to remind myself that my back bumper is an arms length away from me lol. I DO get cut off more than anything, though. That irritates me.

Edited by Jopar_X

I hate to tell you, but most states have really rude drivers (and people) not so great in rural New York (wish we could separate from the city and get voting the way we want things).

Northern AL, from Birmingham N to the TN line. Blinkers are used, as is common courtesy. Totally different pace of life and values.

I am not hating on New Yorkers, just those from NYC, and again, not all NYC'ers are rude. Just the ones that we have down here. ;)

Oh, a large portion of them from NYC and especially NJ are really disrespectful! I feel the same about a lot of the drivers that come over the border from Canada.

We have our fair share of "Snow Birds" from Canada as well. They flocks fly South during the winter.

The Yankees are coming, the Yankees are coming! LOL! I've actually encountered some very friendly New Yorkers visiting, not all of them up there are jerks. There's plenty of rude flakes in the south, too.

Edited by austex04