After market turbo?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Im about the take my first step to turbo Sparky. Over the next few months Im going to start building/buying a parts list. Here what I have so far, some was taken from this thread.

Turbo: GT1241 http://turbochargerspecs.blogspot.com/2011/02/garrett-gt12-gt1241-130-hp.html

Intercooler: Im thinking this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Black-Aluminum-Front-Mount-Intercooler-27-x-7-x2-5-Universal-FMIC/281939551489?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D41be323fdbb04553aabaa6f862085622%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D7%26sd%3D281939551489

Fueling: If I need more fueling this would be a good option http://www.bellengineering.net/product_info.php?cPath=5_20_277&products_id=29

Piping: Ill get a kit off ebay

Tuning:Bad News Racing

Injectors: If needed injectors from a 2006 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L fit right in the Sparks

If you have anymore info, suggestions or ideas please post.

Thanks, Adam

• 2 weeks later...

I think you will have to de-engineer these to make them run well. My 2016 CVT wont even let me rev past 4000 when it isnt in gear. Ive even notices the simulated shifting is diminishing over time. Clearly its heavily programmed with a self protect feature at every turn. I am curious as to just how integrated the engine management is to everything else. I'd love to turbo it, though. Another 30-40 hp is all it needs to be fun.

Edited by GammaRadiation
1 hour ago, GammaRadiation said:

My 2016 CVT wont even let me rev past 4000 when it isnt in gear. Ive even notices the simulated shifting is diminishing over time. Clearly its heavily programmed with a self protect feature at every turn. I am curious as to just how integrated the engine management is to everything else. Another 30-40 hp is all it needs to be fun.

Not really related to the original post, but since you mentionned you have a 2016 CVT, there's a TSB that has just been released for the powertrain of the 2016 Spark:

• 3 years later...
7 hours ago, Sparkalicious said:

What about converting it to diesel 

No. 

If you want a diesel Spark import the 3 cylinder engine used in India. Or buy one of the VW TDIs that are coming back on the market. That’s what I did, best decision ever. 

5 hours ago, ANewSpark said:

If you want a diesel Spark import the 3 cylinder engine used in India.

GM have already shut sales in 2017 and recently they sold the manufacturing plant they had for exports, that includes the Sparks. I strange since they moved their Gujrat (IN) plant to Maharashtra (IN) in 2017 and finally in 3 yrs they shut that as well. I feel their Indian top bosses never had a good strategy.

Anyway, coming to point they had here Diesel variant with turbo but buying & importing a 4-5 yrs old vehicle doesn't justify you purpose, I guess.

• 1 month later...

Good day all! Hope your quarantine is going well. :-). 

Wanted to bring up this topic again to see if there's been any developments, lol. 

My mother has a 2013 Spark with the 1.2 Litre engine and it seems as though I will start taking possession of it over the next few years (she wants to upgrade to a Subaru, lol). 

Hoping to one day add some extra pep to the little thing as all in all its a great little machine. 

Any thought after these years? 

Thanks, and glad to be here :-)