After market turbo?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You might be able to make it work, that hardest parts will be the exhaust header and the programming for the fuel computer. I've seen some universal kits that add and extra fuel supply like what you use with nitrous so that the extra computer keeps the mixture in the proper range and doesn't mess up the stock fueling.

I'd also like to see an inter cooler, I know a lot of people are using water injection for cooling and knock control, so it might be an answer here too.

• 2 months later...

It could be done. Get a GT1548 or a GT1241 for quick spool and around 120-150hp. Use a RRFPR for fueling, and set the timing back a few degrees. Turbocharging an NA engine is actually pretty easy. You just have to stay within the parameters of the stock ECU in this case. 5-6psi is about all the stock ECU can probably handle, fueling wise, even with the RRFPR. After that the stock injectors will probably get maxed out. The intercooler could be tricky on our cars because the intake area is high and rather small. There may be some room behind the fog light areas for a small intercooler. The hardest part is making the manifold and downpipe. You could cut the manifold pipes off at the flange, weld new pipes, and then weld on a T25 flange or better yet, a Vband. The downpipe is matter of fitment. Of course, our exhaust is probably 1.75 to 2 in, so it will be restrictive, but oh well. You could always do a custom 2.5 in exhaust to free up the system and help the turbo spool even faster.

I built a turbo set up for my Mazda Miata from scratch. I used a T3, 60, Megasquirt standalone, and I made 247hp w/ 197 lbs tq at the wheels. It was a blast to drive. My wife was happy when I sold it, but my son was not.

Rising rate fuel pressure regulator. Wont work on a spark do to fuel on demand (returnless). Stock fuel pump should be able to handle higher fuel demand...its a matter of getting it to.

I converted my tercel to a return style...was not too hard to do...

^^^ let me know.. GregE.. I talked to STS it WILL work but i think they use big turbos.. they wont help out with it though... they just want 2000 for the kit... assholes. they could be just trying to sell me a kit.

the exhaust is EXTREMELY easy... the injectors would need to be pumped up and we need to figure out the MAP or w/e sensor is so we ca boost it.. i forgot what the part is (GregE remind me please) someone recommended looking into getting Cobakt SS parts. the tuning is what scares me. but if it could get enough fuel and the A/FR is good i wouldn't care. good solid 120-130 hp would be awesome.

GM should consider changing over to gdi, it would bump up mpgs and should raise hp to over 100. The downside with gdi would be carbon build up on the intake valves, but this usually happens to gdi engines that spend most of the time at idle. This way, you can get more power without the complexity of turbo.

Oh and yes you are right it's why I wish they would release the Fiesta with the 1.0 in the US instead of hogging them in Europe. They are GDI and have turbo with variable oil pump with 2 stage cooling system for when you start the car up.

DI is slowly making its way to more and more.. the next big step for vehicles will be DI and LI.... Direct injection is better power AND mpg... for example..
the Cadillac CTS as a Direct Injection AND NON-direct Injection
(in)direct engine produces 263 horsepower and 253 lb-ft of torque, while the direct version develops 304 hp and 274 lb-ft. however the Direct injection gets better mpg...
Then you have Laser Ignition in the new Mazdas laser beam is delieved to a focusing lens that would take up much less space than a spark plug means new head and valve designs... as well. The laser beam can be split and what not which makes better burn...reducing emissions and getting better fuel economy. Another advantage apparently to the laser system is that part of the beam can be reflected to a receiver and used to gather data on the fuel mixture and the quality of the burn.

http://www.bellengineering.net/product_info.php?cPath=5_20_277&products_id=29

This is an example of a simple FPR with a aux pump. That is how it has to be done without a piggyback or stand alone ECU. I knew it was done, but I didn't know how since my 96 was a standard fuel set up from the old'n days. Obviously, any FPR, a good one, with an aux fuel pump will do the job. This one is just a good looking unit.

Again, good for about 5-6 psi, which is all you would really want on a car with stock injectors. Here is a simple website to use to gather the needed info on injector size and fueling.

http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm

Here is a great posting from a website called miataturbo.net. Keep in mind that the BSFC used for a Miata is .55. However, I would stick with .60 for safety sake.

In most cases a turbocharged engine will have a B.S.F.C of .60. B.S.F.C is brake specific fuel consumption; How much fuel you are using per horsepower per hour. This means that the engine will use .60 lbs. of fuel per hour for each horsepower it produces. Using .55 for a Miata, which is a 1.6 and 1.8, seems to result in more accurate calculations.
Most injectors will max out at 80-85% duty cycle and this is the accepted industry standard.
Using these numbers as a guideline, you can select the approximate injector size in the following formula for your Miata to reach and estimated 200HP (engine)
Est. Horsepower x B.S.F.C / # of injectors x duty cycle = lb/hr per injector
cc = lb/hr x 10.5
200 x .55 / 4 x .8 = 110 / 3.2 = 34.4 lb/hr x 10.5 = 360cc
Then determine the amount of fuel pressure you will have @ the rail to determine what injector will reach this desired cc level. Since injectors are typically rated at 43.5psi, this calculation will determine what they will flow at a higher pressure level:
FUEL PRESSURE / 43.5 = New Flow Rate
Square Root of NFR x Old Flow Rate = New Flow Rate of Injector
At 6psi with a 8:1 ratio FMU we will have about 96psi of fuel @ the rail. We will use that to find an injector that will flow 360cc at 96psi.
96 / 43.5 = 2.206
sqrt of 2.206 = 1.485
1.485 x 265cc = 393cc
That means at 96psi a 265cc injector will supply the needed 360cc (and a little extra breathing room) to reach 200 HP (165rwhp).
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sure someday someone will successfully turbo one of these, probably when warranty runs out. Maybe a turbo Spark will be able to keep pace with a Mini or Fiat?

I own A FIAT 500 Abarth also and I can't see how they can make the Spark as quick. It would be interesting if they did though.

Small amounts of nitrous should be just as good, and in small amounts you could actually last a while on a tank. The part I'm not sure about is the throttle by wire since it won't really open all the way unless it thinks it should be open so it may not trip the additional injection when you really want it.