Chevy Spark Front and Rear Speaker Installation Guide

Today I installed new speakers in the front and rear of my Chevy Spark 1LT. In no way am I a car audio expert so do this at your own risk.
Speakers used: Kicker KS40 (4 inch round) for the front and KICKER KS46 (4x6 inch) for the rear.
I choose to use a speaker wiring harness instead of splicing. I used a Metra 72-9301 speaker harness, it says its for Toyota and Mitsubishi it just doesnt lock with the clip with but its snug and shouldn't go anywhere.
You'll need two to three tools a small flat head screwdriver to pop the speaker grill in the front and a small phillips screwdriver. You may want a pair of dykes to snap off one of the plastic pieces for the rear speaker.
photo4.jpg
With the small screwdriver you should be able to gently pop up the front speaker grills.
photo1.jpg
After successfully popping off the speaker grill unscrew the two screws on each speaker, pull out each speaker slowly and disconnect the speaker harness. The Kicker KS40 will not fit in the little cup the factory speakers come in so don't bother separating the factory speaker from the little cup.
Connect the new speakers either with a new speaker harness (below) or splice new connectors.
photo2.jpg
Drop the speaker in the mount after you've connected, screw them securely into the dash and replace speaker grill.
photo5.jpg
For the rears I'd recommend folding the rear seats all the down. Each rear speaker has 4 screws unfortunately I was only able to get 2 each because of the mount for the KS46 but its secure and doesn't bounce around. I dont think you'll need much instruction for the rear speakers just look at the picture below to see where the screw placement is. If you look in the lower right corner of the speaker mount you can see where i cut off a little bit of the clip to trim it down.

photo3.jpg
Now how do these speakers sound? They are a definite upgrade from the factory speakers, they have a lot more range and you might want to tweak your tone settings to take advantage. Eventually Id like to power these speakers from an amp but for now it will do the trick.
Hopefully this guide will help you in some way.
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I installed new speakers in the front and rear of my Chevy Spark 1LT. In no way am I a car audio expert so do this at your own risk. Speakers used: Kicker KS40 (4 inch round) for the front an

thanks for the harness adapter thats definitely good info

Well you could trim the speaker cup in the spot where the factory harness meets the factory speaker and it would mostly like fit in the speaker cup.

Posted Images

Thanks. Does Kicker (or anyone else) sell a speaker cup that would fit behind those 4 inch speakers?

I'm kind of waiting for warmer weather to do anything to my car, still trying to decide if I'm going to add a double DIN kit and a decent head unit or just do some new speakers. I really want something that will play my music off of an SD card or USB drive.

Well you could trim the speaker cup in the spot where the factory harness meets the factory speaker and it would mostly like fit in the speaker cup.

Thanks. Does Kicker (or anyone else) sell a speaker cup that would fit behind those 4 inch speakers?

I'm kind of waiting for warmer weather to do anything to my car, still trying to decide if I'm going to add a double DIN kit and a decent head unit or just do some new speakers. I really want something that will play my music off of an SD card or USB drive.

im getting a Kicker Hideaway Subwoofer/Amp professionally installed next week. It's 9x12 inches and 3 1/8 inch high unfortunately it wont fit under the front seats for now it will go in the trunk.

When I do get my spark, I think I will do the exact same thing since everyone seems to be complaining about how tinny the stock setup sounds.

Edited by Trancer07

Thanks for the writeup. I have had my Spark LT1 now for 2 weeks and knew I would need to upgrade the speakers. I have been looking at the Kicker speakers also. I was looking at the DS series and not the KS. One of the issues why I have not upgraded was the back of the factory front speakers says 8 ohms and the rear are 4 ohms. With replacing the fronts with the 4 ohm Kickers would put more strain on the Mylink. I hope you are not having issues because I want to do this too. I think the Mylink with Kicker upgrade no amp should be perfect.

As for sub, I'm looking at the Kicker bass station 10 inch or the Kicker 8 inch hideaway. Either one I'm going to sink into the spare tire well and make a custom cover panel so I still keep the back storage.

I havent had any issues yet everything seems to be working fine.

bluer101 I like the idea of putting it where the spare tire would normally be.

Greg_E Id go with the KS40 over the KS35, look below and you'll see the specs.

KS35 Specs

Woofer (in., cm) 3-1/2, 8.9 Tweeter (in., cm) 1/2, 1.3 Impedance (Ohms) 4 Max Rec Amp Power (watts PEAK/RMS)* 40/20 Sensitivity (dB 1w/1m) 88 Frequency Response (Hz) 80-20k Mounting Hole Diameter (in., cm) 3-3/16, 8.1 Mounting Depth (in., cm) 1-9/16, 4.0 Grilles No

KS40 Specs

Woofer (in., cm) 4, 10.0 Tweeter (in., cm) 1/2, 1.3 Impedance (Ohms) 4 Max Rec Amp Power (watts PEAK/RMS)* 60/30 Sensitivity (dB 1w/1m) 88 Frequency Response (Hz) 60-20k Mounting Hole Diameter (in., cm) 3-11/16, 9.4 Mounting Depth (in., cm) 1-13/16, 4.6 Grilles Yes

Stock speaker is 3 or 3.5 inches, just thought it might give a better fit without too much sacrifice.

The thing that would really get me interested would be a wiring harnes adapter for our cars, then a double DIN kit would probably be ordered and some kind of upgraded media center device and speakers.

I'm leaning more towards the Kicker hideaway unit. It's only a 8 inch but that should be plenty to even things out. This will also allow me to pull out just the well foam and keep the fix a flat. With the Kicker KS and that sub it should be pretty good.

I hope someone will come up with a way to hook up a backup camera to the Mylink also.

That is awesome, thank you for posting that. It shows its only for the LT1 and LT2. Also it says price TBA. I figured it would be coming out because the owners manual has enable and disable grid lines as an option in the Mylink.

I noticed it has the color matching center radio console. But the pictures only show the base radio, but there is a part number for the upgraded radio. I want this too.

It says that because you need the MyLink radio system for the display. I'm thinking one of the android powered direct from China "OEM" radios with navigation might be a good choice. With something like this you don't need to worry about buying an app that lets you mirror your phone up to the larger display, you would be running a media device directly and leave your phone for phone calls.

thecrowtv,

Thank you, I just ordered the Kicker KS 40 and KS 46. I already ordered the Metra speaker connectors last week so I would have them on hand when I would choose my speakers. The adapters will also allow me to hook up the Kicker Hideaway without cutting anything.

The adapters will not work for the kicker hideaway, im gonna let a pro install the kicker hideaway. The adapters will work for the speakers though.
They will work because I can use the rear speakers as the high level input that the Hideaway requires. So the rear speaker adapters I will cut and put a pigtail in. One will still go to the rear speakers and the other will attach to the Hideaway harness for the high level signal. Basically kill two birds with one stone.

The more I think about it I might go with the Kicker 10 inch bass station instead. I can still sink it into the rear tire well.

Edited by bluer101

Well after talking to Kicker today I went ahead and ran down to another Best Buy that stocked the Kicker Hideaway. The boxes looked a little beat up due to the security device they have around them. They reassured me that they are fine and of course they are fully returnable within 30 days. Plus the manager gave me another $20 off, sweet. So I bought it and opened it up in the car. Everything looks perfect and brand new sealed.

Just got home and really looked at it and this thing is built like a tank, it's all cast metal, very solid. I hope it sounds good as well as it looks. The sinking into the floor is going to be great. Now I'm waiting on my speaker harness and Kicker speakers to arrive. Then I will test the unit prior to building the mount in the tire well.