I've been reading up on Ton Ogle and Charles Pogue. It really seems like they were on to something. Ogle had articles in TIME and his experiment/test confirmed by government scientists. People think that car companies have patents for high mpg capable engines. I don't believe it, because if they did they would have built cars that get high mpg. Think of it, 1 company has the patent, could/would put every car maker out of business. I think the oil companies have the patents.

Lets not forget the 376mpg Opel sponsored by a Shell oil mpg contest. Sure the Opel is not something most people would drive even in 1973, but none of that knowledge could be used on a car that people would drive and get 100 mpg?

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2007/05/01/big-oil-conspiracy-376-mpg-opel-uncovered/

http://truedemocracyparty.net/2011/09/200-mpg-pogue-carburetor/

http://blog.hasslberger.com/2007/04/pogue_carburetor_gasoline_vapo.html

http://elpasotimes.mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=506161

http://truedemocracyparty.net/2011/09/vapor-fuel-system-tom-ogle-full-story/

It is funny that my old 1976 VW Bettle would get 40mpg without trying, and now we are still struggling to get the same with modern manufacturing and wind tunnel testing. I do understand part of this is the weight difference between the two cars, the Spark is much heavier do to all the required safety "features".

• 2 months later...

One thing you can count on.. The oil companys WILL NOT take a reduction in they're profit margins. Those of us who have purchased cars which get better gas milage will

only enjoy the savings for a small amount of time. The gas prices will only increase to make up for any short-fall in profits.

• 4 weeks later...

well with that being said.... the blu motion POLO... gets in the 70s (its diesel) but its not a hybrid and breaks WAY over the norm.... my CRX used to get high 40s.. the Geo Metro... II agree its absurd how were JUST breaking into numbers we've had FOR YEARS.... not to mention Smokie Yunicks weird ass car... Read up on his fiero.. shit will blow your mind.

QUOTE..

The cars combine a fuel efficient engine with state-of-the-art fuel efficient design and technological strategies that include a highly aerodynamic body, a low ride height, auto stop-start, programmed battery charging system (so the alternator only runs when necessary), longer gearing and low rolling resistance tires. It has a fuel capacity of 20.41 US gal It was with such a production model that in the fall of 2010 a BlueMotion Passat set a world mileage record in Europe, recognized by the Guinness Book of Records, achieving 1,526.63 miles on a single tank of fuel, which equates to 74.8 miles per US gallon. This is equivalent to travelling from New York to Los Angeles on two tanks of diesel. BlueMotion vehicles are not available in North America.

and this is in a 3300 POUND VEHICLE!!!!!

BTW, that diesel is a clean diesel engine, not the smoke barfing machines of yesterday. Even the "crude" catalysts from years ago work exceptionally well in diesel, I worked with a generator and truck that both had these in place and the only time they really smoked or smelled bad was when they were cold.

I've always heard about the guy who managed to modify a stock carburetor to get 100MPG and he was mysteriously killed. The conspiracies are endless.

The problem is, engine design really hasn't changed all that much. We can make an engine very clean for emissions, make it run better (and some of the controls we have do make it run better).

A lot of diesels have pollution control equipment that hurts mileage and power. So they go farther to make it have more power and that ruins the gas mileage on the vehicle. Adds complication, etc.

Cars today are MUCH heavier than they used to be (which is probably a good thing for safety) and people want performance, performance, performance. Get something with the weight and power of a Spark, for example, lose some weight and make it somewhat aerodynamic and you can easily get 60MPG.

they are to heavy hence why I didn't buy a big car... safety or not they only reason we need more safety is cuz of bigger cars.. if we all drove around in CRXs we'd be safe.. The carbuerator that got 100mpg was BS story I read. for anyone that is a tuner for EFI OR Carbed motors.. or any crazy shit... knows 100mpg ain't happening from a carb UNLESS you have some crazy 6 stroke smokey yunick designed heat pump w/e motor.

Clean air, and mpg's are the major concerns today. At the risk of sounding simplistic, another approach in the congested urban areas, should be more efficient trafffic contol, where 15 minutes of a 30 minute ride, is spent idling at traffic lights. Also school buses stopping on every corner, ice cream trucks (cannot be passed), public bus stops,etc. It does take a toll on your mileage, when you spend more time with your foot on the brake, rather than on the gas pedal.

Clean air, and mpg's are the major concerns today. At the risk of sounding simplistic, another approach in the congested urban areas, should be more efficient trafffic contol, where 15 minutes of a 30 minute ride, is spent idling at traffic lights. Also school buses stopping on every corner, ice cream trucks (cannot be passed), public bus stops,etc. It does take a toll on your mileage, when you spend more time with your foot on the brake, rather than on the gas pedal.

This is me, on the brake a hole lot.

If we all drove CRX and compacts, there's still the 80,000 + pound tractor trailers on the road.

With that said, it doesn't matter if you're in a crown victoria or a smart car ... if you play chicken with an 18 wheeler, it won't end well.

I'm not nearly as worried about most of the over the road truck drivers, but those damn garbage scows are terrifying. The worst drivers and vehicles that rarely pass the roadside inspections. Next on the list would be Black Horse Carriers that hauls for Aldi's, those drivers are some of the rudest people on the road. And yes I do have a commercial drivers license so I do have a sense of what it takes to drive those large vehicles. All that said, I do wish we could get rid of most of the 4000 pound killing machines (SUV) on the road.

• 1 year later...

A lot of fuel mileage is who is behind the wheel.... I don't have the patience I should on the "to work" part of my commute. I'm pretty sure a Spark is capable of 55 mpg if you went all hypermiling with it, probably 60 is possible with a few Areo mods like pulling the mirrors off and fender skirts ect.... My "running" average right now is 45.3 and thats doing 70 with the A/C on about 50% of my miles, and 60 with the A/C off the other 50%. BTW the world record mentioned earlier has been broke again - http://green.autoblog.com/2012/05/08/volkswagen-jetta-goes-1-626-miles-on-one-tank-of-gas/

There is a practical limit on how high mpg can go on a car driven in the real world. There is only a certain amount of energy in a gallon of gasoline (and adding ethanol has significantly lowered that) and it takes a certain amount of energy to move a certain amount of weight, taking into account rolling friction, air resistance, speed, acceleration, climbing hills, along with a few other things. We have pretty much reached the limit. Yes, there have been experimental cars that got ridiculously good mpg, but they were not something you could actually use for transportation, and they cost a fortune to build, negating the fuel cost savings. Today's cars are imo heavier than they need to be, I would gladly give up all the safety crap except seat belts, but as a motorcyclist, I am looking at it from a different prospective than most would. I own a '72 Chevelle and '63 Nova, and they are heavy for their size. No attempt was made to make them lighter. They are made of really heavy steel, while today's cars are made out of what seems to be recycled beer cans. At work (fleet mechanic) I made dents in a couple of new vehicles simply by leaning against them. Today's cars have a lot more stuff on them than older cars did, but the manufacturers made up for that by using very flimsy construction, really thin metal, and a lot of plastic. I have owned motorcycles that got less mpg than the claims made by GM for the Spark.