What Kind of Milage is everyone getting?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

40+ in the city!? I must get a Spark NOW!!

I just rounded over 3k miles and MPG has never been better...Im guessing around 3k is break-in. 100% around town and on surface streets (no hwy) I am getting 40+. The avg on my OBC reads 41+ right no

Just filled up today and my avg. was 41.87 for my last tank.

Posted Images

I am getting 29, which is not as good as what the other folks here are getting. But to be fair, the car has 350 mi. on it, it is an automatic, I live in an extremely congested city, where stop and go is mostly stop, even on the highway it seems every 1/4 mile there is a light. In town, as soon as I accelerate, I am already braking. We are using winter blend gas, and it is bitter cold. All things considered, even with all the negative conditions, the car is pulling the advertised mileage. I think as she breaks in a little more, and the weather moderates, and we get back to our regular gas, the mileage will improve. As an aside, I reset the avg./mpg, a week ago, and the 29, is a constant. Just for the hell of it, I took her on the parkway for a little run, and the mpg. climbed up to 33, but back in town it fell back to 29. In any case, it is a lot better than my last car. :)

Im not saying that every Spark would be getting this. And honestly, I am surprised it's this good.

I do drive cautiously and use some 'hyper-miling' techniques (like coasting when possible, trying not to come to full stop, etc), but nothing extreme. I do stay with the regular flow of traffic.

Ive found about 40-45mph to be the sweet spot. Highway driving kills this car's MPG. I wish it had a 5th gear :/

I just to mine yesterday so I can't personally attest yet. But, this website fuelly.com lets you look up mileage people are getting. As of now there are 9 2013 Sparks on there. Check it out. They have an iPhone app that makes it real easy to chart for yourself if you are so inclined.

Duh. I just noticed the 2 posts above me both are already on fuelly. I guess it's pretty well known long before me!

Edited by Marklaz
  • 3 weeks later...

Today we just passed the 2,000 mile mark, (in about seven weeks of driving). The fuel milage has been climbing steadily from around 35 MPG when we picked up our new Spark until today. I glanced down at the screen shortlly after we passed 2,000 miles and saw that we reached a new high of 38.6 MPG. We live in a rural area, with few traffic lights and not much bumper to bumper traffic. The Spark is a 2LT with automatic transmission, and we couldn't be happier with the mileage, and everything else about our our little Spark!

Yup, saw the friend request but haven't had time to deal with it. There are a coouple other members on Fuelly too.

The only bad thing is that I'm seeing how much I really spend on fuel... UGH!

Need to get some other things in life sorted out to reduce that amount.

• 4 weeks later...
Mine really started to pick up around 2000 miles too. Part of it is driving style since you have finally kind of learned the vehicle, I think the other part is break-in.

Right you are, Sir! Break-in is very important for the future life and performance of the engine. There is a phrase for breaking in a motorcycle engine: "Ride like you stole it". Ideally, the break-in method I use with my motorcycles and cars, is to put a heavy load on the engine and vary the revs in the upper range. This is easy with a manual transmission, but somewhat difficult with an automatic transmission. I try to find long mountain grades or twisty hilly roads in the country. I drive these roads at a brisk pace, with the manual transmission in 3rd or the automatic in 3rd, or 2nd, depending on the incline. The trick is to keep the RPMs and the load on the engine high. For the motorcycles, the RPMs are 7000 to 10000, for the cars, the RPM are 4500 to 6000. Note, after doing this break-in, there is a very good chance you will need to adjust the valve lash, if it is adjustable. For more information, use this web page as a guide:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

• 3 months later...

Right now, the avg MPG (according to the gauge) is 35.5. We don't live in a mountain area, but it's far from flat land. I'd say about 70% city driving too. Can't complain :) We have family in Oklahoma that we visit quite often (from Memphis). Can't wait to see how high it gets next time we road trip. These are the only "mods" i'm interested in. Anything that will bring even better MPG's........

Just filled her up, and did the real world mileage. Drove 293 miles and burnt 7.658 gallons for......... 38.26 miles per gallon! We drive about 50% city, 50% highway. I can definitely get used to that kind of mileage :) EASILY getting 43 or higher on the highway. we do however drive it like we want really good gas mileage.......