I've recently bought a 2013 Spark. I haven't driven it very far yet, but have smashed my head multiple times on what I think they call above door "assist handles." In all the decades I've been driving I've never had a need for such an unnecessary obstacle to be inches away from my head. It sticks out just waiting to contact my head. I've managed to crack my head on it while exiting my car several times and while just sitting in my car. Anyone else have a problem with these "assist handles?"

Mine does have handles, never noticed them before.
Ha ha. Now you have something to hang onto while drifting around corners. :P
I've recently bought a 2013 Spark. I haven't driven it very far yet, but have smashed my head multiple times on what I think they call above door "assist handles." In all the decades I've been driving I've never had a need for such an unnecessary obstacle to be inches away from my head. It sticks out just waiting to contact my head. I've managed to crack my head on it while exiting my car several times and while just sitting in my car. Anyone else have a problem with these "assist handles?"
Have you tried adjusting your seat position? Maybe you're sitting a tad bit too tall or too far forward or something? Last resort, you can probably unscrew the driver's side one. Edited by Trancer07

Thanks for all the replies. I'm 5'11". I think if you're shorter these handles are too far above your head. If you're taller you're seeing it in front of your eyes. At my height I don't see it, just clunk my head on it. I've tried adjusting how I sit and haven't hit my head in a while. Guess I'll have to live with these handles, either way.

• 5 months later...