• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started fitting the charge pipes today. I'm going to move the intercooler back (towards the radiator) a tiny bit for a better fit but I'm happy with the progress. This bumper literally snaps off and

All of my oil lines are hooked up, I've put gaskets on all of the exhaust connections, everything is set to start. I have tried to start it but I'm getting a laundry list of codes in HP tuners. Nothin

While reading the HP tuners forum I came across a reference to a YouTube channel, Goat Rope Garage. I've watched a few videos that have been incredibly helpful and relevant for the 2014 Chevy spark ec

Posted Images

My blow off valve (bov) silicone coupler was delivered today. I did a quick test fit with my bov and the 2.5" charge pipes and everything seems to fit great. I'm still waiting for my 90 degree couplers and then I will start fabricating my charge pipes from the intercooler to the throttle body.  I paid $25 for the coupler, $50 for the bov and $40 for 2ft of aluminum pipe. I'll have to see what I have in clamps and couplers and update the total budget. 

20180625_190428-1.jpg

Edited by LittleBlue!

Nice work keeping within budget...You certainly have my respect for trying this turbo mod..to my knowledge no one, at least on this forum, has tried this. Looks to me like you did your homework...keep us up to date..We are rooting for this to be successful. specially with your low costs so far.

My 90 degree couplers finally arrived. I plan to pick up a metal blade for my chop saw and tackle the fabrication of the charge pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body over the weekend. I also picked out a boost gauge for around $25. The weekend is fast approaching!

I researched how to clock a turbo and was pleasantly surprised with the amount of freedom it offers you with the orientation of the inlets and outlets.  This information means I will not be using the 90 T3 flange and that frees up some much needed space.

Edited by LittleBlue!

This is where I plan on cutting the manifold and welding the vband flange to attach to a T3 flange that will bolt on to the turbo. I have to modify the bolt on side unfortunately, but I'll discuss that more in my hindsight/lessons learned post. Happy with the progress. 

2018-07-03 19.24.59.jpg

Edited by LittleBlue!

Almost forgot, The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor has to go after the intercooler and blow off valve but before the throttle body (TB). I'm considering using this cold air intake for the MAF sensor housing and hopefully use the remaining parts if possible. I would cut it to fit my last bend into the TB. Any thoughts?

I'd  really like to find a cheaper option in a 2.5 pipe with a MAF housing that fits for the 2014 Spark MAF sensor. 

2018-07-08 20.21.42.png

Edited by LittleBlue!

I decided to order the cold air intake pictured above from DC sports. $150 which isn't ideal just for the MAF sensor housing but I'm minimizing welding, so it is what it is. I'm planning on running the cold air intake while I get the rest of the turbo system ready, so I will report on that. I also ordered new tires and a rim to replace a bent rim and hopefully get rid of some awful road noise. Considering what I paid for the car, I don't mind throwing in a little $ to keep it loveable. 

Edited by LittleBlue!

Boost gauge and the v clamp for the exhaust manifold/t3 connector were both delivered. I'm happy with the gauge. It should look good when it is done and it will be nice to monitor boost and be able to adjust if needed with the adjustable blow off valve. $25 for the guage. 

20180721_121813-1.jpg

Edited by LittleBlue!

Space has always been my biggest concern for this project. Last night I determined I can free up some crucial space by moving the radiator foward and towards the driver's side. I can move the passanger side of the radiator out over 1.5", the driver side/middle 2", and the whole raditator can move 4" towards the driver's side. 

2018-08-05 01.36.25.jpg

Edited by LittleBlue!
On 8/13/2018 at 9:50 AM, GammaRadiation said:

Nice build. What kind of power numbers are you hoping for?

Thanks! I honestly don't have any expectations for horsepower. I'm starting out with 84 hp. I plan on starting at 5psi for boost and seeing if I can increase from there. I plan on dyno testing if all goes to plan. I will be happy to share any results.

12 hours ago, Nse1255 said:

Have you put any thought into tuning? I know that way down the road, but I haven't been able to find anyone that can tune these cars.

The project looks great though. It's making me want to give it a go

Thanks! I haven't got that quite worked out yet but I did see this older hp tuner forum that leads me to believe they may have something that could work. Like most online forums, the convo sort of just ends so I'm going to reach out to HP tuners and see what I can find out. I'll let you know what I find.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?51959-Chevy-Spark-Tune-ability

20 hours ago, LittleBlue! said:

Thanks! I haven't got that quite worked out yet but I did see this older hp tuner forum that leads me to believe they may have something that could work. Like most online forums, the convo sort of just ends so I'm going to reach out to HP tuners and see what I can find out. I'll let you know what I find.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?51959-Chevy-Spark-Tune-ability

I reached out to a few local tuners near me, and I was told that the 2016 spark can be tuned. No one has answered yet about why only that one year. I can't imagine Chevy doing anything that much different for the one year, that would allow it to be tuned. Any ideas?

17 hours ago, Nse1255 said:

I reached out to a few local tuners near me, and I was told that the 2016 spark can be tuned. No one has answered yet about why only that one year. I can't imagine Chevy doing anything that much different for the one year, that would allow it to be tuned. Any ideas?

It seems like it is available/possible but not listed on any website. I only see 2016 listed on hp tuner. I assume that covers 2016 and newer. I need the one for 2013 to 2015. I do think there is a big difference between the 2015 and 2016 because they came out with a new model for 2016+. 

Looking at the forum I linked above it seems the tuner for 2013-2015 is available but not listed on their site. I talked to someone on here thatsays they have one from bad news racing but it was not listed on their site.

I have reached out directly to HP tuner and I will reach out directly to bad news racing. I'll follow up when I get responses.

Edited by LittleBlue!